Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 11:13 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,378,044 times

Advertisements

Evangelicals, big business, libertarians, southerners, chicken hawks...it seems like our party is an uneasy coalition that's falling apart at the seems, as our different segments are having less and less in common with one another, and are less willing to support the others issues. Case in point: big business and libertarian voters want to distance themselves from evangelical platforms; southerners are becoming more disenchanted with big business practices such as private equity and shipping jobs to China; and everyone is distancing themselves from chicken hawks. Just look at our top candidates, one is big business, one is an evangelical, and the other is a libertarian...and they are all extremely different from one another. In 2008 the top 3 democrats were so alike you could hardly tell them apart.

I predict that the Republican party won't last in its current form. Judging from the strong sentiments I'm hearing from my fellow republicans, I think either a huge number of members will shift over to the libertarian party a few elections from now (if not by 2016), or a legitimate pro-business/neo-liberal economics party will form.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 11:19 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,366,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNLV09 View Post
Evangelicals, big business, libertarians, southerners, chicken hawks...it seems like our party is an uneasy coalition that's falling apart at the seems, as our different segments are having less and less in common with one another, and are less willing to support the others issues. Case in point: big business and libertarian voters want to distance themselves from evangelical platforms; southerners are becoming more disenchanted with big business practices such as private equity and shipping jobs to China; and everyone is distancing themselves from chicken hawks. Just look at our top candidates, one is big business, one is an evangelical, and the other is a libertarian...and they are all extremely different from one another. In 2008 the top 3 democrats were so alike you could hardly tell them apart.

I predict that the Republican party won't last in its current form. Judging from the strong sentiments I'm hearing from my fellow republicans, I think either a huge number of members will shift over to the libertarian party a few elections from now (if not by 2016), or a legitimate pro-business/neo-liberal economics party will form.

Might still be a little too early to write the GOP's obituary...

RealClearPolitics - 2010 Election Maps - House Final Results

RealClearPolitics - 2010 Election Maps - Senate Final Results

Old 02-07-2012, 11:21 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,856,510 times
The Democratic Party is made up of poor welfare minorities, wealthy elites that don't work, and Wall Street brown nosers like Jamie Dimon of JP Morgan Chase digging for more government handouts.

I think both parties are due for a major realignment.

Quote:

Old 02-07-2012, 11:21 PM

2,239 posts, read 3,229,118 times
The GOP is going through a rebirth. The right will figure it out. They better come up with one voice and quick, if they plan to beat Obama this fall.

Old 02-08-2012, 04:54 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,807,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaldknobber View Post
The Republican Party is made up of poor welfare hicks, wealthy elites that don't work (like Romney), and Wall Street brown nosers like Jamie Dimon of JP Morgan Chase digging for more government handouts.
Now you've got it right

Old 02-08-2012, 05:05 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,711,000 times
At this point, it might be better for the Republicans in the long run if they put Gingrich or Santorum up as their candidate, only to have them walloped by a substantial double digit percentage in the popular vote by Obama. If Romney is the nominee and he loses by 5% or so, the fringe of the party will blame the loss on the moderates. A landslide loss by a non-establishment type like Santorum would give the party the impetus to take a more moderate stance and pick up more independent minded voters, especially when Democrats might be emboldened by a landslide to push stupidly to their fringe.

The way things are going now, Romney would lose to Obama, though in a more respectable fashion. If that happens, then prospects for the Republicans are more grim for the future. The window to preserve Romney's chances in the general election is closing fast.

Old 02-08-2012, 05:20 AM

1,332 posts, read 994,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
At this point, it might be better for the Republicans in the long run if they put Gingrich or Santorum up as their candidate, only to have them walloped by a substantial double digit percentage in the popular vote by Obama. If Romney is the nominee and he loses by 5% or so, the fringe of the party will blame the loss on the moderates. A landslide loss by a non-establishment type like Santorum would give the party the impetus to take a more moderate stance and pick up more independent minded voters, especially when Democrats might be emboldened by a landslide to push stupidly to their fringe.

The way things are going now, Romney would lose to Obama, though in a more respectable fashion. If that happens, then prospects for the Republicans are more grim for the future. The window to preserve Romney's chances in the general election is closing fast.
I think it's a little early to write off the republican party OR Romney;s chances in 2012. As for what Romney is experiencing right now in his recent setbacks? Attribute that to the negative campaigning that he is doing. His attacks on Gingrich are taking their toll on HIM as well. Meanwhile....Santorum isn't taking part in all that crap. he's just going out there day after day...relying on HIMSELF to meet with voters and have them heafr what he has to say. Down to Earth people appreciate that sort of ethic.

I think obama is ripe for defeat...but the way Romney is going about winning the GOP nomination is kind of like Sherman's scorched earth march to the sea in the Civil War....Yeah, he won the war....but at what cost? He certainly wasn't seen as the conquering hero. And if Romney wins, he will be looked down upon by a sizeable percentage of the republican base....as we witnessed in Minnesota, Missouri and Colorado last night.

Unless the republicans start attacking OBAMA, and let the VOTERS decide which of them is best suited to run against him, then obama will win. These 'Super Pac' ads are destroying the party. The enemy is obama...the goal is to defeat him with a candidate deserving to hold the office and who WILL make changes to the government that are NEEDED for us to survive this crisis.

Here we are in an economic meltdown...with people struggling to make ends meet, and here Romney is...spending MILLIONS on attack ads against his own party members. Is getting the nomination THAT important where you lose sight of the big picture?? Does ANYONE give a damn about the hole we are in?? People are watching...and millions like me don't approve.

Old 02-08-2012, 05:57 AM

5,113 posts, read 5,970,285 times
Quote:

LOL
How quickly they forget the 2010 election results ..

Old 02-08-2012, 06:11 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,777,875 times
Quote:
The Republican party is not itself when it's too far from it's party of Lincoln sensibilities. It's like all the ugliness and viciousness in America glommed onto it for 'representation' and sucked the life out of it. The kind thing to do would be to retire the jersey and people start calling themselves what they are. If you want to call yourself the theocracy party, fine. At least that's truth in advertisement. This other BS not so much. What does republican mean? Whatever they say it means, from minute to minute, depending on who's got the biggest ugliest super pac. This long drawn out identity crisis avoiding the mirror just keeps getting uglier.

I think the responses to this thread are evidence unto itself they forgot they had a family. Their own loss of moral compass. I'm having a seriously hard time thinking of these people as Americans anymore. Especially the theocrats.

Old 02-08-2012, 06:37 AM

8,145 posts, read 6,529,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post

This is so true. But they wont listen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies