Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 07:54 PM

674 posts, read 698,240 times

Advertisements

Who is actually afraid of gay people? I understand not liking them if that's your thing but I don't believe they inspire fear in any significant part of the world's population. Why does this term stick?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 07:58 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 21 days ago)

27,631 posts, read 16,115,213 times
I dont think it sticks. I think it is just like the "R" word or card, overplayed.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:02 PM

662 posts, read 1,281,053 times
When you think allowing gay marriage is going to collapse the western civilization, or that if children hear the word "gay" they may become one, that's pretty much homophobia.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:06 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,369,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DahomeyAhosi View Post
Who is actually afraid of gay people? I understand not liking them if that's your thing but I don't believe they inspire fear in any significant part of the world's population. Why does this term stick?
Because people keep saying it, like "irregardless".

Old 02-08-2012, 08:14 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Why don't you ask the poster who started the "Christianaphobia" thread? I mean, it's not like anyone is actually AFRAID of Christians, lol.

Obviously the term(s) has adopted a new meaning, which is more a hatred or extreme prejudice towards the GLBTQ community. Nobody thinks it actually implies fear, although I do wonder about some people... like the example given above, where some actually think we'll "catch the gay" if they live openly and equally. How ridiculous.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:15 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,737,180 times
Quote:
To set the facts straight, the definition of Homophobia is to harbor or project any range of negative attitudes towards a homosexual, including BUT NOT LIMITED TO fear.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:19 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,254,874 times
Quote:
Well, straight people who are secure in their sexuality are not homophobic. They can be around gay people without feeling uncomfortable, or gauking at them. Many straight people, who are not as secure, think they can catch "gay" by touching or being around them. They might not feel "afraid" in the sense that they might get beat up by one (though it would be very humbling for them), but they do feel an element of fear.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:22 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,192,061 times
Quote:
It's not being afraid of gay people but being afraid of one's own sexuality i.e. "becoming" gay. Homophobes are afraid that exposure to gay people may cause them to become gay, because they have latent homosexual desires that for reasons of culture and otherwise they repress. Every homophobe lives in a closet, and it's a tragedy.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:40 PM

438 posts, read 946,753 times
According to Master Yoda, fear leads to anger and anger leads to hate.
Why are people so preoccupied with the subject and so focused on condemning homosexuality unless there is some amount of fear involved?

Old 02-08-2012, 08:41 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,207,602 times
Not sure why it sticks, but the term has been thrown around so much, that it's lost much of its sting. Being called homophobic should make you feel ashamed/guilty and cause you to really evaluate the way you treat others. But because it's used so cavalierly, folks brush the accusation off as pure rubbish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies