Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 12:22 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,548,620 times

Advertisements

So if now SS in this case stands for Scout Snipers, then waving a flag with a Swastika to symbolize peace, should be ok also. Originally the swastika was not a racist symbol.
The whole thing is just silly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2012, 12:34 AM

6,104 posts, read 6,006,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Perhaps a bit of tact? If somebody wore this:

on a t-shirt while touring Pearl Harbor, I wouldn't be overly concerned with his protestations of innocent intentions. No matter how aestetically pleasing the design is.

What makes this especially insulting if worn whiule standing on the bridge that spans the remains of the USS Arizona is that particular flag was the ensign of the Imperial Japanese Navy. The flag of the Japnese Empire is a Red Sun (a red disk) on a white background. The same flag still flies over Emperor Akihito's Japan today.

Old 02-12-2012, 05:04 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,246,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
So they are killing, and dying, for my "freedoms" in Afghanistan? Really?

I didn't know those freedoms were threatened by the Taliban. I thought the Taliban were a fiercely nationalistic tribe that didn't like foreign aggressors waging war on its soil?

If the U.S. military left Afghanistan, would my freedoms still be threatened?
yes

Old 02-12-2012, 05:09 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,926,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Is the constant duty rotations leaving no time for common since?

Old 02-12-2012, 08:42 AM

2,887 posts, read 2,642,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
They want it to mean more!! Just people jealous they weren't standing there.
Exactly. Some unfortunate individuals apparently need something to be upset and offended about and when nothing is there they go out of their way to find or invent something.

Old 02-12-2012, 11:55 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,979,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
It is ironic that you state people should understand the history of symbols and then describe the swastika as a Nazi symbol. That is like saying you should learn the history of the Christian cross, a KKK symbol.

The Swastika (BOTH DIRECTIONS) is one of the most ubiquitous symbols across human culture. You find Swastikas in South Asia, East Asia, Pre-Columbian Americas, Pre-Christian and Post-Christian Europe, and even in some old Jewish Synagogues and Qabbalah manuscripts.

So tens of thousands of swastikas, the world over, extending back in time to the last ice age 10,000 years ago should now be relegated to inglorious doom because the Nazis used it for less than 20 years.

It's a good thing the Nazis didn't like kittens.
And that is the exact point I was making. Read what I wrote again, note I mention "idiots being offended", which is a clue to the clarification of the point you make above. The fact is, a symbol is highly dependent on its context of use and those who throw tantrums about a symbol being used outside of that context are simply attention seekers.

Old 02-12-2012, 11:58 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,979,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Ehm - there were US Marines. I don't think it's entirely unfair to assume they had an idea of what the letters "SS" in lightning runes signify in Western culture.

It's not that I don't get that soldiers will head straight to offensiveness to express their basic badassery - the marching songs we sang back when I wore a uniform were anything but politically correct, for that purpose. It's the feigned innocence that's annoying. "Oh, so the initials SS had another meaning, back when? And those guys used lightning runes, too? Gee Willie, we had no idea!" Please.
I don't think they should care and I think those who would make objections are simply idiots looking to be angry at something.

Old 02-12-2012, 12:14 PM

1,081 posts, read 917,991 times
Condemn these guys all you want. I seriously doubt they give a damn lol

Old 02-12-2012, 12:35 PM

6,104 posts, read 6,006,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
I don't think they should care and I think those who would make objections are simply idiots looking to be angry at something.

No No No. it isn't that the problem with the letters SS which can have many meanings from Social Security to in this case a US Special Forces Unit. It is the problem with this representation a black and white SS in the Nordic script in the letter "Sieg" or Double Sieg in this case. This representation has a meaning independent of current context that should be burned into our collective conscience. Symbols mean something people and in this case I find the attitude that the person I am quoting displays especially heinous. We must remember what happened over 70 years ago when a monster took a whole nation into the abyss and did so with a popular mandate. Never Again!

Old 02-12-2012, 12:46 PM

15,120 posts, read 8,696,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
That actually makes more sense. I simply see no reason to start condeming these Marines before all the facts are in.

However, if I were a Marine instructor, I would tell them: lose the damn cameras, etc. This is war, not a social media event.
No .. it just makes a nice excuse.

This is a US Naval Base building ... uhh ... how do you explain that? Are Naval buildings constructed without oversight of the Naval Brass ?

This extreme denial needs to stop. If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck ... it's probably a damned duck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies