Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 08:54 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,951,638 times

Advertisements

In research that will almost certainly create controversy, researches working with the hallucinogen psilocybin -- the active ingredient found in "magic mushrooms" -- have found that a single dose of the drug prompted an enduring but positive personality change in almost 60 percent of patients.

'Magic mushroom' drug may improve personality - USATODAY.com

Johns Hopkins Study Finds That Controlled Magic Mushroom Use Is Safe And Has Lasting Benefits - Business Insider

CNN Magic Mushrooms Test - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2012, 09:08 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,356,787 times
The psychiatrists think that hallucinations are healthy? What a surpise...NOT.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:10 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,124,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
In research that will almost certainly create controversy, researches working with the hallucinogen psilocybin -- the active ingredient found in "magic mushrooms" -- have found that a single dose of the drug prompted an enduring but positive personality change in almost 60 percent of patients.

'Magic mushroom' drug may improve personality - USATODAY.com

Johns Hopkins Study Finds That Controlled Magic Mushroom Use Is Safe And Has Lasting Benefits - Business Insider

CNN Magic Mushrooms Test - YouTube
Very interesting. I've heard about this mushroom. It is a stronger cousin of the mushrooms used in America to get high correct? I've heard of it used in a religious context. I've never heard of it used in a medicinal context.

I know some on her will rant and rave about the post, but they probably go home and take some chemical form of the plant anyway. I'm interested to hear about how the testing progresses.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:24 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,951,638 times
Conservative types could benefit from the personality improvement aspects of magic mushrooms.
It might help them loosen up a bit and not be so anal retentive about everything.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:37 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,120,803 times
Lewis Carroll was believed to have indulged prior to writing Alice In Wonderland, which gave him the vision for the story. The mushroom that Alice eats is said to have been Carrolls nod to the hallucenegenic.

Jefferson Airplane refers to this part of the story in the song "White Rabbit".

Old 02-12-2012, 09:43 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,526,395 times
I knew a guy who did 'shroom's and had what he called a "religious" experience on them.

He said he was flying through the universe, passing stars and planets until he came to the other side and saw great big, gold letters which read:

GOD

Uh....ok.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:48 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,542,421 times
don't forget about the animal tranquilizers/rave drugs..

Ketamine: A miracle antidepressant?

Old 02-12-2012, 10:04 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,934,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
Conservative types could benefit from the personality improvement aspects of magic mushrooms.
It might help them loosen up a bit and not be so anal retentive about everything.
See you know nothing about conservatives that used to be teenagers!!

Old 02-12-2012, 10:11 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,458,259 times
This is really not astonishing news. As someone who would love to try mushrooms or another hallucinogen - but can't due to drug testing at work - I've read about a lot of the experiences people have when on the drug. Maybe the biggest thing is that it enables people to "loosen up" if even temporarily and experience the world in a way they're not used to seeing. I could see how a positive personality change could stem from that - especially if someone was an uppity jerk who always had to have things his way and thought himself the king of the world. Maybe a trip down mushroom road would be a bit eye-opening and mind expanding for someone. Surely, that's not the only personality type that might benefit but perhaps a basic example.

I've read several studies talking about the benefits of hallucinogens used in controlled environments and I've also read articles about other drugs with positive benefits. Ecstasy is being tested on a very small group of former soldiers who suffer severe PTSD from their time in Iraq and Afghanistan and it is actually showing significant results but the sample testing is only done on a very small group of people so no wider scientific examination is available.

I think it'd be great if your health insurance covered a one time mushroom trip. You go to the doctor, they hand you a baggie of mushrooms, put you in a room and let you trip all day long. After it's over, you head back home with your world outlook completely different. Imagine the conspiracy theorists having fun with that one?!

Old 02-12-2012, 10:12 PM

1,263 posts, read 1,171,277 times

Iron Butterfly - In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida (Studio Version) *FULL* - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies