Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 08:34 PM

4,367 posts, read 3,484,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
A new study by U-M's Michael Heaney and colleague Fabio Rojas of Indiana University shows that the antiwar movement in the United States demobilized as Democrats, who had been motivated to participate by anti-Republican sentiments, withdrew from antiwar protests when the Democratic Party achieved electoral success, first with Congress in 2006 and then with the presidency in 2008.
"As president, Obama has maintained the occupation of Iraq and escalated the war in Afghanistan," said Heaney, U-M assistant professor of organizational studies and political science. "The antiwar movement should have been furious at Obama's 'betrayal' and reinvigorated its protest activity.
"Instead, attendance at antiwar rallies declined precipitously and financial resources available to the movement have dissipated. The election of Obama appeared to be a demobilizing force on the antiwar movement, even in the face of his pro-war decisions."

http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-04-...-movement.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2012, 08:42 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,980,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post
Why wouldn't it have declined?

You protest Bush thinking that Dem leadership, including Obama, back your hopes of ending the wars...then when they get in power they stab you in the back.

The point for many of protestors is that protesting may be the final action that turns the tide.

It's obvious at this point bad Democrats along with 99% of the GOP support these needless wars. Protesting is not effective at this point. We're outnumbered.

There is no hypocrisy here.

In fact the only hypocrisy is right wingers pretending they don't support Obama's stupid wars. Do you notice Sanrene never tells us whether she is for or against these wars?

It's because she's happy to play both sides. She likely loves going to war with Muslims. Bombing them. Violating their sovereignty. She 100% Neocon.

She's on any side of the issue that the GOP leadership is on. ...Then she comes here and complains about Dem hypocrisy..hoping to score some cheap poltical point.

Last edited by padcrasher; 02-11-2012 at 08:59 PM..

Old 02-11-2012, 08:44 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Oh...they stopped all that nonsense the minute a democrat took over.

More civilians are dying in Afghanistan/Pakistan than ever before...and the hypocritical Left...yawns.
So YOU were at the war protests when Bush was beating his chest and calling for blood, right??? You know BUSH, the guy who started it all.....

The intelligent people in the world KNEW it was not a 'three week cake walk" and let Bush know that it would cause years of chaos...his own father told him that and he lead the charge anyway....and YOU yawned!

Old 02-11-2012, 08:54 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,068,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Agreed. I couldn't care less if US soldiers are getting killed over there at this point.

Our occupation there is deeply resented by the populace. OBL was killed long ago. They routinely kill innocent children. They commit war crimes with no accounting. They target funerals with drone strikes. It's needless. Immoral.

All this was known when they volunteered..... Live by the sword, die by the sword.

Are you aware that Obama is the commander in chief of the US military and has the power to bring all the troops home today? He needs no approval from congress or anyone else. It's one of the few powers a US president has that requires no approval. He has the power to stop this insanity right now but he won't and you know it.

Ron Paul would do that on Inauguration Day.

EDIT: Question was already answered. Multitasking is the ability to screw up several things at once.

Last edited by Joe_Ryder; 02-11-2012 at 09:08 PM..

Old 02-11-2012, 08:57 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,980,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
Are you aware that Obama is the commander in chief of the US military and has the power to bring all the troops home today? He needs no approval from congress or anyone else. It's one of the few powers a US president has that requires no approval. He has the power to stop this insanity right now but he won't and you know it.

Are you aware it's a good idea to read the whole thread before accusing me of having some double standard when it come to Obama?

Old 02-11-2012, 09:02 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,068,024 times
Quote:
Are you aware it's a good idea to read the whole thread before accusing me of having some double standard when it come to Obama?
Actually I was typing it while others were posting. I was about to edit and correct. My apologies.

Old 02-11-2012, 09:23 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Oh...they stopped all that nonsense the minute a democrat took over.

More civilians are dying in Afghanistan/Pakistan than ever before...and the hypocritical Left...yawns.
One has to value innocent life in order to be outraged. One has to understand the relationship between life and liberty. I do not see most of the far left Progressive (Clintonistas, Obama's cabinet, Harry Reid, etc...) or the pre-emptive war crowd on the right side of the aisle (McCain, Leiberman,Graham, Santorum, Romney,Gingrich etc...) as having this ability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
So YOU were at the war protests when Bush was beating his chest and calling for blood, right??? You know BUSH, the guy who started it all.....
Short memory, this problem goes back to the 1950's.

Old 02-11-2012, 09:32 PM

98 posts, read 81,687 times
Quote:
Agreed. I couldn't care less if US soldiers are getting killed over there at this point.
I, and many others, fought for your freedom so you can spout off remarks like that.

If you hate this country so much, I suggest a one-way ticket to someplace where you will beg for the protection of a US soldier..

I'll gladly buy it for you.

Old 02-11-2012, 11:22 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,009,955 times
Oh wait a minute Afghan was the war the libs were salivating over all these years and now..........

Old 02-11-2012, 11:24 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,009,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post

EDIT: Question was already answered. Multitasking is the ability to screw up several things at once.
Paul won't do that. He isn't that stupid. He knows our monetary policy has to be changed first before we bug out of the middle east. Leaving our dollare tied to oil and heading home would be a disaster beyond anything we've seen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies