Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 10:27 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,953,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Lewis Carroll was believed to have indulged prior to writing Alice In Wonderland, which gave him the vision for the story. The mushroom that Alice eats is said to have been Carrolls nod to the hallucenegenic.

Jefferson Airplane refers to this part of the story in the song "White Rabbit".

Little do people realize, Alice in Wonderland is a pro-hallucinogenic children's classic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2012, 10:31 PM

1,263 posts, read 1,171,840 times

Time Has Come Today(long version) Vote for "The Chambers Brothers" L.A Times Best Band. below - YouTube

Old 02-12-2012, 10:34 PM

1 posts, read 697 times
I have read some research, talking about hallucinogens, used in a controlled environment, I have also seen the benefits of the article about the positive effects of other drugs. Ecstasy is a very small group of former soldiers who suffered severe trauma stress disorder from their time in Iraq and Afghanistan, it is actually there is a significant result, but the sample tests on only a handful of people group test, so there is no widely available scientific examination.

[url=http://www.hollisterco.me.uk/]hollister sale[/url]

Old 02-12-2012, 10:35 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,953,588 times
Nice. Excuse me while I go look for my bong pipe.

Old 02-12-2012, 10:41 PM

1,263 posts, read 1,171,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
Nice. Excuse me while I go look for my bong pipe.
Check that Chambers Brothers classic out too. Your thread needed them. Two 60's classics! Have a great night!

Old 02-12-2012, 11:06 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
Little do people realize, Alice in Wonderland is a pro-hallucinogenic children's classic.
It would probably be banned from libraries if they were knowledgeable enough to know this about the author of the book.

With a bit more research, I came acroos this which seems to mean that it was a different mushroom that Carroll had in mind....pun intended.

Out of sight, indeed. As little Alice (soon to be big Alice, thanks to the Caterpillar's culinary suggestion) discovered, the lowly mushroom can make you high. Lewis Carroll, a known dabbler in psychedelia, evidently had more than lunch in mind when he portrayed Alice eating her way through a mind-bending buffet.

It is now believed that what Carroll had in mind was the powerful Amanita Muscaria mushroom.

AMANITA MUSCARIA (http://www.drugtext.org/library/books/recreationaldrugs/amanita.htm - broken link)

Old 02-12-2012, 11:07 PM

764 posts, read 597,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
This is really not astonishing news. As someone who would love to try mushrooms or another hallucinogen - but can't due to drug testing at work - I've read about a lot of the experiences people have when on the drug. Maybe the biggest thing is that it enables people to "loosen up" if even temporarily and experience the world in a way they're not used to seeing. I could see how a positive personality change could stem from that - especially if someone was an uppity jerk who always had to have things his way and thought himself the king of the world. Maybe a trip down mushroom road would be a bit eye-opening and mind expanding for someone. Surely, that's not the only personality type that might benefit but perhaps a basic example.

I've read several studies talking about the benefits of hallucinogens used in controlled environments and I've also read articles about other drugs with positive benefits. Ecstasy is being tested on a very small group of former soldiers who suffer severe PTSD from their time in Iraq and Afghanistan and it is actually showing significant results but the sample testing is only done on a very small group of people so no wider scientific examination is available.

I think it'd be great if your health insurance covered a one time mushroom trip. You go to the doctor, they hand you a baggie of mushrooms, put you in a room and let you trip all day long. After it's over, you head back home with your world outlook completely different. Imagine the conspiracy theorists having fun with that one?!
Exactly. Say you could go somewhere and have someone who is experienced, reassure you that its okay, and that they will be right there with you, totally sober, so people don't have to worry. It could do alot of good...

Old 02-12-2012, 11:52 PM

3,045 posts, read 3,193,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
I knew a guy who did 'shroom's and had what he called a "religious" experience on them.

He said he was flying through the universe, passing stars and planets until he came to the other side and saw great big, gold letters which read:

GOD

Uh....ok.
I'll give you some advice for life, what people tell you and what really happened are two different things. A hallucination isn't an hour long out of body experience. It sounds very much like the guy made all of that up.

Old 02-13-2012, 02:11 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
It would probably be banned from libraries if they were knowledgeable enough to know this about the author of the book.
We don't generally ban books in libraries, especially not for the author's personal history... otherwise half the books on our shelves would be gone tomorrow.

Speaking of Alice & Wonderland, have you guys ever watched it on hallucinogenics? Pretty crazy stuff!

Old 02-13-2012, 02:15 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post
I'll give you some advice for life, what people tell you and what really happened are two different things. A hallucination isn't an hour long out of body experience. It sounds very much like the guy made all of that up.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking too! People love to make up crazy "acid/shroom trip stories," but they are usually a bunch of baloney... I did my share of hallucinogenics when I was younger, and never saw G-d or thought I could fly etc. Once I did have a blackout experience, but that was more like a complete void in memory for about 3 hours - at a Grateful Dead show, nonetheless, so at least I was surrounded by people who could relate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies