Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 11:56 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,023,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I am not saying abortions will end or Roe v Wade is going away.

This is about the political plotting and strategy that is taking place - and how arguments, and talking points originate with the goal of winning over people's mindsets on issues and influencing people for the election.

Liberal elites now believe abortion is a losing issue and have retreated in order to maintain the ability to set conservatives apart from women's rights. That's what this is all about.
no liberal, "elite" or not. nor any pro choice person believes the abortion issue has "retreated". liberals don't have to try to make conservatives look like they don't support women's rights, that's completely obvious as it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 12:02 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
But conservatives pretty strongly believe that birth control pills should be banned, because using them runs counter to God's wil.
Nobody has said this. This is the false argument now being presented in lieu of the abortion argument.

Old 02-14-2012, 12:18 PM

4,373 posts, read 3,229,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
But conservatives pretty strongly believe that birth control pills should be banned, because using them runs counter to God's wil.
The hell? Alright, be that as it may, do you really believe that God has a hand in when a man and a woman get horny and want bang each other?

This isn't an attack on you, just to be clear, but that's pretty ridiculous. If that's the case then a woman being raped is God's will as well and birth control (prior to the hypothetical rape) and abortion (after hypothetical rape) are options not allowed to be considered? Good grief, no wonder I don't agree with conservatives whatsoever.

I don't buy that at all.

Old 02-14-2012, 01:25 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,194,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
What did they win and what was the prize? I think the entire country missed it.
Going from about 40% of the female vote to 25%. Winners all around.

Of course it's even dumber because the vast majority of Republicans are Protestants, who have no issue with birth control.

Old 02-14-2012, 01:33 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,406,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
No it will be the liberals that lose at the ballot box. I have many Blue Dog Democrat Catholic friends and family that voted for Obama that have turn against him because of this issue and many others. This is a sentiment that is growing by leaps and bounds.

Obama and the HHS stepped in their own **** on this one.
"Many"? 98% of catholic women take birth control at some point. Even if you want to assume that's grossly incorrect and drop it to, say, 75%, many more are for this than are against it.

You might have some male catholic friends who are against it, but that's about it. good luck!

Old 02-14-2012, 01:50 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
All I am saying is that abortion and a women's right to choose has always been an important part of the election - and now liberals have given up the issue with the false issue of contraception because they can't win the abortion discussion.
Are you trying to suggest that some conservatives don't want to deny women access to contraceptives?
Granted I am guessing here because I really have no idea what the bolded part is actually supposed to mean.

Old 02-14-2012, 02:09 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,662,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
No it will be the liberals that lose at the ballot box. I have many Blue Dog Democrat Catholic friends and family that voted for Obama that have turn against him because of this issue and many others. This is a sentiment that is growing by leaps and bounds.

Obama and the HHS stepped in their own **** on this one.
Interesting. I have many Catholic friends who are continuing to throw their vote to Obama for the VERY reason of this contraception debacle. Except for the most diehard, stringent Catholics, which include the nuns at the school, many of the Catholic women want access to contraception. They will not be vocal about it with each other after Mass but this is the undercurrent.

Old 02-14-2012, 02:21 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times
Jeeez, I sure wish this issue, along with a few others, could be put to the People and let them descide, wanna bet the right-to-lifers would not want to do it and then live with the results.

Old 02-14-2012, 02:22 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Interesting. I have many Catholic friends who are continuing to throw their vote to Obama for the VERY reason of this contraception debacle. Except for the most diehard, stringent Catholics, which include the nuns at the school, many of the Catholic women want access to contraception. They will not be vocal about it with each other after Mass but this is the undercurrent.
This Catholic is going to vote Obama, so will Millions of others.

Old 02-14-2012, 02:32 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,231,338 times
Quote:
All I am saying is that abortion and a women's right to choose has always been an important part of the election - and now liberals have given up the issue with the false issue of contraception because they can't win the abortion discussion.
It looks like the issue and the reality of legal abortion was, and still is, won, and not by anti-abortion conservatives.

Liberals gave up on the issue? Explain why "personhood" laws that define a person from the time of conception keep failing. Looks to me like the abortion debate is still going on both sides, and nobody has conceded anything.

There is no false issue of contraception. Birth control, not abortion, has been the issue of the week. A real issue. And conservatives are stinging from how Obama deftly snatched away something they thought they could use as ammo against him in the election (since their hopes for a worsening economy aren't bearing fruit).

Bottom line, you're trying to conjure a win out of a crappy loss. Like a starving kid in a 3rd world country picking through horse droppings looking for a kernel of corn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies