Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 02:57 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,202,822 times

Advertisements

Sorry you aren't able to analyze the survey data either. Download the latest survey off of the Wells Fargo site and actually read it. For the forth and last time, that 14% that don't have employees, the delta between Q18 and Q22. 497-428=69

Your OP and this whole thread is completely bogus. The headline, the lame basis for your talking point nonsense, involves the response to a question. Are you in rhe process of hiring someone at this moment? Two weeks after the holidays most employers are figuring out what to do with there seasonal hires, few are seriously seeking workers. For me, that time between Xmas and the start of tax season was my vacation.

Take a closer look, the same respondents, 48% said they hired in the past 12 months. Sorta undermines your claim that obamacare is killing small businesses. Oh wait, obamacare has ZERO effect on small businesses.

Finally, if your claiming we need to confine our debate to you story, your headline, WHERE DOES IT SAY OBAMACARE?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 03:07 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
keep it up, your lame replies are looking foolish. Point at a headline over and over isn't addressing the underlying data.

If i wrote a blog and titled it:

Roger Ailes and Rupert Murdoch linked in Secret Gay Relationship?

are you obligated to debunk the headline or the facts I provide in the story under that headline.

I know you wingnut luv to live in a sound bite echo chamber... Get real.
What part of 46% and 48% don't you understand?

It's not static. It's not as if those are the only concerns of those 46% and 48% who was polled...

I mean seriously. I find it real hard to believe you ran your own business and can't seem to understand the dynamics of running a business.

In running a business you look at demand, capital improvements, the cost of an employee/s, etc.

Not in your world in your tunnel-visioned partisan outlook.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:12 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Obamacare, massive regulatory burden and the continue of the economy - ALL a direct reflection of this president anti-business agenda...
So say the people with anti-American agenda. But let us look at numbers. Private sector payroll has grown by 3.5 million over 22 months since signing of Affordable Care Act. How was it over 22 months prior to the bill (hint: -8 million)? See, anybody can play the game.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Good. If you read the article it says 48% of businesses worry about health care costs. That has been about the same percentage for 20 years. It has nothing to do with ObamaCare.

The article also says that 76% say they aren't hiring because they have enough employees. That's the real problem, low sales.
I just did a control f and typed in health. The only thing that was highlighted was this link:

Small Business and PPACA: 1 Year Later | NFIB Research

The summary then goes on to say this:

Quote:
One year after the passage of sweeping health-insurance reform legislation, the lasting impact of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA) on the small business community remains to be seen. A new study by the NFIB Research Foundation indicates that the overwhelming majority of small business owners do not expect the law to reduce cost or regulatory burdens, and nearly two-thirds agree that the law will result in premium increases but not in better care.

Maybe you meant another link.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:15 PM

What part of 76% listed not needing new employees two weeks after the holidays as their TOP REASON.

What part of ACA has ZERO affect on small businesses.

I know, you wingnyts gotta run with your lame talking points no matter how lame...

Stay with it though, it is showing others that you'll do anything say anything. Trust is hard to regain once you have spent it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
What part of 46% and 48% don't you understand?

It's not static. It's not as if those are the only concerns of those 46% and 48% who was polled...

I mean seriously. I find it real hard to believe you ran your own business and can't seem to understand the dynamics of running a business.

In running a business you look at demand, capital improvements, the cost of an employee/s, etc.

Not in your world in your tunnel-visioned partisan outlook.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:25 PM

Quote:
What part of 76% listed not needing new employees two weeks after the holidays as their TOP REASON.

I know, you wingnyts gotta run with your lame talking points no matter how lame...

Stay with it though, it is showing others that you'll do anything say anything. Trust is hard to regain once you have spent it.
Quote:
One year after the passage of sweeping health-insurance reform legislation, the lasting impact of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA) on the small business community remains to be seen. A new study by the NFIB Research Foundation indicates that the overwhelming majority of small business owners do not expect the law to reduce cost or regulatory burdens, and nearly two-thirds agree that the law will result in premium increases but not in better care.

You can thank MTA for that one...

Last edited by CaseyB; 02-16-2012 at 04:32 PM.. Reason: copyright violation

Old 02-16-2012, 03:27 PM

Quote:

Then of course you always have:

Quote:
CBO projects that the number of people obtaining health insurance through an employer will be about 1 million lower as a result of the legislation

Net change in coverage due to changes in employer offers is a reduction of about 5 million
http://www.cbo.gov/ftpdocs/123xx/doc...-responses.pdf

As if you trust anyone or anything on here anyways.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:33 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,582,712 times
I don't have a political ax to grind, but I am a small business owner and starting up a new facility.

Health care costs are a big concern to me. I originally started this project primarily to provide jobs for some friends and family that were out of work in the new economy.

Looking to the projected overhead and the associated costs it becomes apparent that simply hiring people and offering any benefits at all will quickly overwhelm the benefits of starting a new business and creating up to 20 full time jobs.

With this in mind, I am left with only a couple of choices, don't start the business, or I can start the business and go broke quickly, or find a way to keep the business running, but lower the costs of production.

The way I had to choose to make jobs and keep the facility running are to contract to individuals so they are basically small businesses themselves which removes my responsibility to provide benefits, and to automate most of the processes. Computers and robots don't have families or require pensions, or healthcare. Simple fact.

This means instead of having up to 20 employees, the plant will now only have 4 actual salaried employees. All the rest will have to provide their own insurance and retirement, no paid vacations, no sick leave.

I think this does follow the thread that small business will have to make adjustments to keep operating while cutting costs where they can, and unfortunately, employment costs are always the highest cost of any business, so are what are cut first.

I would love to be able to simply hire people and put them to work, but if I do, the business dies and there are no net gains for anybody. If I can't make the business support itself, then there is no reason to risk my capital. If there is no potential for profits to expand or repair equipment, then why expend the time, energy and resources to start a business in the first place?

I will start my new business, provide the means for some people to make a living as well as providing a service to a large community, but I will not be hiring full time employees until the current business climate changes.

Simple economics.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:35 PM

The 76% that said they were not hiring at the moment because they don't need employees is hard to ignore. If you dont need something how much it costs or how difficult it is to purchase are secondary factors. If I don't want a free food sample in the grocery store how much the product costs or how heavy it is is meaningless to me.

The 24% that do need an employee is the concern. How many of those 120 respondents cited those two reasons, regulation and health care, isn't known. Even if every on of those 120 listed them as the reasons they aren't hiring at that moment they are only 1/4 of the ones not hiring at that moment. Factually, that 24% could have offered any number of reasons. Some could fall into that subset that don't have employees.

Last edited by buzzards27; 02-16-2012 at 03:50 PM..

Old 02-16-2012, 03:49 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,447,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Some are...for sure.

How about looking at the TITLE of the Gallup article and then you could also look at the actually numbers.......

Health care = obamacare and the NEW coming costs.

Exactly right. Hopefully, business will see the light AFTER Nov 6th.

No, they never can.

Health care and obama's massive regulatory burden - the numbers are clear...nearly 50% cite these two issues as reason to not hire.
And you know what sanrene;

some cannot handle the truth, too bad. I constantly say on here, have not waivered, that i know many a small business owner. They each are waiting for Obama to go.

They have done nothing but complained ever since he has been in office, too not think so, is just ingorant.

It has been pretty hard on small bsuiness owners, to hire, do to everything else they have now have to contend with.

Health care, they site, and the massive regulatory-burden, is such a stress on small business owners, as well as big business also.
Your not lying telling the truth, some can't handle it, that is their problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies