Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should health insurance cover purely elective procedures?
Yes, and it should include nose jobs, tummy tucks, vitamins too for that matter. 2 9.52%
No. Insurance is meant to cover catastrophic events only. 19 90.48%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 02:18 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,406,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
Another flawed poll with too many in-between possibilities. The contrary of 'yes, cover elective procedures' is not 'no, only cover catastrophic events.' Are you saying a yearly physical checkup is an elective procedure? And catastrophic leaves out all the medical visits for minor injuries and ailments. My kid got poison ivy. Sorry, not catastrophic! Ear infection. Not catastrophic!

Many medical procedures are elective in that the patient has various options to choose from, or do nothing. For example, a back injury, in which a neurosurgeon may inform the patient of conservative treatment of PT, or aggressive treatment like surgery. Each has pluses and minuses, and the patient elects which treatment to have. It's elective because it's scheduled in advance and not an emergency. Many medical procedures fall under this broad category.

Some elective procedures will have no physical impact on the patient's quality of life if they are not done. Most cosmetic surgical procedures are considered not to have an impact on the person's physical well-being. Not getting a nose job won't impact your health (assuming it's only for aesthetic reasons, not for nasal defects). Purely aesthetic cosmetic surgery is typically not covered by medical plans not merely because the patient elects to do it, it's because it's cosmetic, not medical.

Pregnancy is a medical condition that has significant impact on the woman and her health if it continues to term. Women who continue to term are willing to accept these health conditions, and women who abort aren't. Both are options available to the pregnant woman, she elects which way the pregnancy will go.

Let me ask you: are you for or against insurance coverage for breast reconstruction after mastectomies? Why, or why not? What about coverage for vasectomies?
my prescription cream for poison ivy was $80 freakin dollars! lucky, the doctor had a coupon for it. but holy crap!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
This is one of the reasons insurance is so expensive. Most states will mandate what the insurance company has to cover which drives up the cost of the insurance. Setting aside the religious debate about the contraceptive mandate if an insurance company has to cover this the cost of the insurance plan goes up for everyone.

Certainly a plan you can afford that is going to cover major expenses would be preferable to no insurance at all. A plan that covers everything means nothing when you can't afford to pay for it.
prevantative care is far less expensive than emergency care. So, if an insurance company has to cover something like contraceptive, yes, they would have to pay for that item, but is contraceptive more expensive than a delivery + child healthcare? I saw the total bills for my son's delivery last year, and it would pay for contraceptive for 30+ years.

Old 02-16-2012, 02:21 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
If you want your healthcare to pay for that, then buy it.

This is what I think should end up happening. We should have a universal, single payer system for all life threatening and crippling problems. If you need it to survive, or you need it because you are in pain, or it prevents you from working (by actual doctors order), then America will accept that. They already do, see the emergency medical treatment act, signed by Reagan mind you.

Then if you want healthcare to cover whatever else, then you can go to the free market.

Old 02-16-2012, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
Extended warranties on cars are paid out by INSURANCE companies that are "betting" that you will never file a claim. That is how they make money. Insurance companies are not in the business of health care delivery. They are betting FOR you being healthy and not needing a covered illness.

I too chose an insurance policy with a $5000 deductible because the premiums are lower. I have to pay for office visits out of pocket since I will never cover the deductible before insurance pays.
but it would behoove your insurance company to encourage you to do those preventative office visits to try and head off having to pay for a surgery or treatment that could have been avoided.

Old 02-16-2012, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
Unless there is a "zombie apocalypse", there will never be a rash of people needing expensive treatments. The "cost" does not deter me from seeking medical treatment/advise when needed. Making more things payable "out of pocket" will keep the hypochondriacs from bankrupting the entire system.

Why does dental insurance not cover toothpaste and floss? That is "preventative".
your dentist doesn't give you toothpaste and floss?

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
I'm not. I'm saying that Obamacare gives government bureaucrats just that ability. Right now, entitlement-minded liberals are okay with this because they think they're gonna get free stuff. I'm saying that when the other shoe drops they're gonna scream bloody murder. I am also, by posting this thread, bringing out the fact that government bureaucrats are already dictating -at the federal level- what is and is not mandatory coverage.
You're doing exactly that.

9,091 posts, read 19,226,281 times
btw - since it was brought up, here is a listing of states that currently have some form of mandatory requirement for insurers that offer prescription drugs to also offter coverage for any FDA approved contraceptive

Insurance Coverage for Contraception State Laws

Old 02-16-2012, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Should auto insurance cover oil changes, new shocks?
no - because if your engine dies because you didn't change your oil, your auto insurance isn't going to replace your car. now if not changing your oil increased your risk of rear-ending someone, it might be a good idea.

Old 02-16-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:
How many people wouldn't scrape up $40 or $50 for a checkup if they're not feeling well? I dare say most would. My doc gets about $45 from my insurer for a check up. Add my $20 co pay and that's about $65. I'm sure there'd be plenty of docs willing to take $50 cash on the barrelhead. THAT would be market forces at work.
you obviously don't know anyone who works in emergency services if you think most people would go to a doctor when they aren't feeling well. emergency rooms are clogged with people who are somewhere between a regular doctor visit and a serious issue because they didn't go to the doctor in the first place. your doctor gets more than $45 from your insurer. i'd love to see the EOB that show $45.

Old 02-16-2012, 02:29 PM

Quote:
When I say 'catastrophic' I mean things that happen out of the blue. That could include a wart on yer butt. If abortions are covered under government health care there's less of an incentive for a woman to use birth control before the fact. As it is now there are women who've had five or six abortions, so the aversion to such a procedure is hardly universal.
What an insurance policy should and should not cover is a value proposition. I can choose what policy/insurer I want if we can agree on a price. Government controlled health insurance makes me buy things I don't need, (I don't need fertility coverage for example but I have to pay for it.) want, or buy things that I object to as a matter of conscience.
who has had 5 or 6?

and the whole concept of insurance is buying something "in case" you need it. you don't need ANY of it today, but you might tomorrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies