Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 03:22 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,290,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Because no matter how I would word it I would probably be called a racist.
I've been called racist, doesn't stop me from speaking my mind.

Cajones!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2012, 06:11 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
This was an issue about an obnoxious brat who needs a foot up his behind.

Xenophobic extremists are turning this into Americans versus Mexicans war.
He's just a homesick kid that should be returned with his parents, siblings and other relatives back to his own country.

Of course he despises the USA with all his worth, he resents being here and wants to be back where he belongs.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:38 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,162,600 times
I think the teacher did nothing wrong.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:44 PM

30,354 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
That kid could speak English, I am sure. He was just trying to be what he is and did a great job of it. Other Mexican students in the room at the time stood up for the woman. There aren't many immigrants around of the other nationalities you mention because they would be "legal" not likely illegal.
What are you babbling about? Not sure I can even decipher this post, but there are plenty of illegal immigrants from other countries... I've met a few myself, including an old friend who was here illegally from Canada. But you'd never know that, since you assume anyone white or Asian (especially if they speak English) must be legal. Right? Oy vey.

P.S. We have more immigrants from Asian countries who don't speak - or don't WANT to speak - English around here, as compared to those from Mexico/Latin America. Come visit us sometime, it might open your biased eyes a little.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
I agree. The kid was being disruptive and the teacher took the bait. It's hard not to do sometimes but that's what happened.
A teacher isn't supposed to "take the bait," and should be able to keep his/her cool no matter what... this coming from somebody who's worked in one of the TOUGHEST public schools in San Francisco, and I never blurted out anything that inappropriate or prejudiced. That doesn't mean teachers are perfect, but they need to show more self-control than your average Joe Schmoe. She should be disciplined, and perhaps consider teaching a pre-pubescent age group instead - as they're much easier to handle, emotionally speaking.

Last edited by gizmo980; 02-18-2012 at 11:57 PM..

Old 02-18-2012, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Some people just like to disparage other posters without any cause.
Sorry, but there was plenty of cause for them to disparage other posters - considering the nonsensical and offensive replies I've read in just the first few pages here. Don't like being called out for it? Too bad, so sad.

Old 02-19-2012, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
A teacher isn't supposed to "take the bait," and should be able to keep his/her cool no matter what... this coming from somebody who's worked in one of the TOUGHEST public schools in San Francisco, and I never blurted out anything that inappropriate or prejudiced. That doesn't mean teachers are perfect, but they need to show more self-control than your average Joe Schmoe. She should be disciplined, and perhaps consider teaching a pre-pubescent age group instead - as they're much easier to handle, emotionally speaking.
Or maybe the kid should try behaving

Old 02-19-2012, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
Or maybe the kid should try behaving
Yeah, that would be nice... but if you've ever worked in a school, you'd know such a requirement would result in MOST students being expelled. Again, the teacher should be trained and skilled in handling difficult students. That is part of their job, after all! If I "took the bait" from every kid who gave me trouble, I'd be in the same situation as this lady 1000x over, and would deserve every bit of discipline handed out to me.

For the record, I never said the kid shouldn't also be dealt with for his behavior - but an adult teacher should rise above that, and be held to a higher standard than some 13yo kid.

Old 02-19-2012, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Yeah, that would be nice... but if you've ever worked in a school, you'd know such a requirement would result in MOST students being expelled. Again, the teacher should be trained and skilled in handling difficult students. That is part of their job, after all! If I "took the bait" from every kid who gave me trouble, I'd be in the same situation as this lady 1000x over, and would deserve every bit of discipline handed out to me.

For the record, I never said the kid shouldn't also be dealt with for his behavior - but an adult teacher should rise above that, and be held to a higher standard than some 13yo kid.
The problem is, all this does is teach the 13 year old that he can play the race card every time he acts like a turd nugget and the whole world will flop over for him.

My guess is he will have later problems with authorities, at the tax payer expense.

Where I grew up little rat finks like that kid were not allowed at normal public schools. They had to go to behavior disorder schools for kids who just could not get with the program, so as to not drag down the quality of the normal school.

Old 02-19-2012, 12:49 AM

3,955 posts, read 7,199,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Then we have those that think the Mexican flag needs to be flown at our schools.
The Mexican flag has no more right to be flown at a school than a Confederate flag does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies