Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 02:46 PM

33,594 posts, read 18,218,394 times

Advertisements

My first time seeing a black person I was a very young child.. My father had stopped in front of a clothing store and my brother and I was inside the car parked in front.

My dad went to go in the store to pick up something and I saw some black people walking down the street. I waved to them and addressed them saying " Hello Chocolate people." My dad came back and said not to say that. I of course didn't know why. I guess that was the only term I knew as a child to wave and say Hello. Our family never addressed anyone black in any disrespectful way. We were taught to respect everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 02:57 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,363,877 times
^Now, that's funny...and cute. I certainly don't mind being referred to as a sweet, delicious treat.

Old 02-20-2012, 04:09 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,544,649 times
I am curious. Does any black person on here take offense to the kid's question? "Are you brown because you come from Africa"?

Old 02-20-2012, 04:17 PM

2,409 posts, read 3,045,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
Thats how curious kids learn. When my daughter was small I was carrying her in a touristy area when she saw a black man for the first time in her life and yelled look dad a monkey! I quickly apologised to the man and explained and he was a great guy and was laughing about it. so daughter was shown some magazines and learned about other people. Kids aren't born knowing anything and learn things growing up. ever see the old show kids say the darndest thing? google it its funny

Sorry but if your daughter is intelligent enough to talk but not intelligent enough to distinguish the difference between a REAL monkey/ape and a black person that says more about the parents than it does about anythign else. Kids have a very keen sense of knowing that is embraced and nurtured by intelligent parents. What kind of kid lives in such seclusion that they have never been exposed to a black person by the time they can talk? Tv? Pictures? Books? Movies? My god.

That's the entire problem with society nowadays......too many dumb lazy people bringing dumb lazy kids into this world.

Old 02-20-2012, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
I am curious. Does any black person on here take offense to the kid's question? "Are you brown because you come from Africa"?

There are stupid people everywhere including among the ranks of children. I think any kid that can speak that would utter something so stupid has probably stupid parents. I mean seriously? What a dumb question in this day and age.

Old 02-20-2012, 04:26 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,544,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
There are stupid people everywhere including among the ranks of children. I think any kid that can speak that would utter something so stupid has probably stupid parents. I mean seriously? What a dumb question in this day and age.
Really??? I can see if I was 7 and thought I knew a kid from Africa I would be excited. He could tell me so much about that country. Africa would be exciting for a kid and most would like to go there.

Old 02-20-2012, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Really??? I can see if I was 7 and thought I knew a kid from Africa I would be excited. He could tell me so much about that country. Africa would be exciting for a kid and most would like to go there.

Ummm meeting someone from Africa and seeing a "brown" person on the street are two different things. I see TONS of black people every day of my life......wanna wager a guess as to how many are actually from "Africa". LOL...........Stupid kids are raised by stupid parents and stupid parents allow stupid kids to ask and verbalize stupid offensive questions in public.

Old 02-20-2012, 05:41 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,472,373 times
Something wrong with people. A seven year old people is not yet racist, hardly knows what the name means. Children at this age are curious. This is not racist at all, and any race of child at the agre at 7 is just as curious.

Odd thing is, yet there are those out there who are truly racist, can seem to say anything, and not spark any anger at all.
This does not make sense.

Are children at this age suppose to know it all?

Old 02-20-2012, 05:44 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,612,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Something wrong with people. A seven year old people is not yet racist, hardly knows what the name means. Children at this age are curious. This is not racist at all, and any race of child at the agre at 7 is just as curious.

Odd thing is, yet there are those out there who are truly racist, can seem to say anything, and not spark any anger at all.
This does not make sense.

Are children at this age suppose to know it all?
If you look at some of the posts in this thread..YES, they are.

At 18 it's ok if they don't know 5x5 but heaven forbid they aren't socially PC by 5 or so

Old 02-20-2012, 05:59 PM

774 posts, read 1,166,061 times
This is why I have no respect for school administrators. The ones (teacher, in this case) in this story are utterly lacking in common sense.

What the hejj is racist about a 7-year old being inquisitive about another person who looks significantly different from himself. Aside from that, these idiots don't know the difference between a race-based question and racism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies