Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 04:49 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times

Advertisements

While in some states this would be legal to even shoot the burglar under Castle law;still the guy has right to trial. Now days not going to be so easy to get a convistion in mnay states really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 06:35 PM

2,615 posts, read 5,401,273 times

Old 02-23-2012, 07:24 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,370,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Why is there so much crime in the US in the first place?
Maybe it also has to do with people having their own homes. There is only one door and no other way anyone could enter my apartment, so making that one door safe is enough to protect myself. And there is the heavy door at the entrance of the building. With stand-alone houses there are numerous entry ways such as doors and windows which makes defense much more difficult.

I find it really disturbing to think one needs a gun to defend oneself in one's own home. I am in my 40s and have never even seen a gun or a bullet in real life, I only know them from American movies and TV programs. And I hope it stays that way, I like the absence of violent crime.
Crime in the US isn't as bad as the media makes it out to be. What country do you live in? The UK has FAR more violent crime than the US does. The average violent crime rate in the UK is worse than the worst single US city. TFS Magnum: Crime in the UK versus Crime in the US

You hear about crime in the US a lot because this is a US board, and there are 350 million people here covering an area 2.5x the size of western Europe.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:39 PM

2,615 posts, read 5,401,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Crime in the US isn't as bad as the media makes it out to be. What country do you live in? The UK has FAR more violent crime than the US does. The average violent crime rate in the UK is worse than the worst single US city. TFS Magnum: Crime in the UK versus Crime in the US

You hear about crime in the US a lot because this is a US board, and there are 350 million people here covering an area 2.5x the size of western Europe.
You're comparing apples to oranges. British cities are very different in layout, people live a lot closer to one another and rich, middle class and poor are forced to intermingle mainly due to the layout of our towns and cities. In the US, you can generally stay out of trouble by avoiding inner city ghettos. Depending on how you look at it, that's either good or bad.

Old 02-24-2012, 07:31 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,416,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
Actually the only time LOE can shoot is to kill but we don't like that word because it gets the public all riled up.
Stop treating them like children & maybe they wont. At any rate the police shoot the wrong people much much more frequently than private gun owners. P.S. What on earth is a LOE?

Quote:
I have gone threw the academy and they do teach us to kill not wound or warn. shoot for the center of mass and continue to shoot until the threat is gone.
But the public does not want to hear it.
Too bad knowing English isn't a requirement. If you can not construct a simple sentence how are we to believe you took anything meaningful away from the academy? The public certainly knows already & doesnt mind hearing what we pay you to do. You NEED to realize that as a civil servant there are rules & limitations that apply to you that we need not worry about.

Quote:
The cadets were trained to shoot twice then reevaluate the threat now they are being taught to shoot at least 3 times then reevaluate the threat.
Your point?

Quote:
You can only shoot if your life or that of another is in risk of death or great bodily harm. Period.
Dunno that I buy that. You can shoot to prevent the escape of a dangerous armed suspect as well. In some states, maybe NH I dont know, its legal to use deadly force to stop a crime or prevent the escape of a criminal from a crime you witnessed.

Quote:
We are taught not to fire a warring shot as it is the use of deadly force and not a means to warn a suspect.
No its not. Shooting at the ground or in a safe direction may be useing deadly force, but if its not directed at someone its not treated as such. Driving a car is useing deadly force, but its not a problem unless you use that deadly force to kill someone. We ALL use deadly force every day in innocent productive ways.

Quote:
If your mad at someone and you fire a warring shot it is the same as it you shot (at)them. You could be charger with attempted murder.
Thats a little different no? Or maybe you dont differentiate between being mad & preventing the escape of a criminal.

Quote:
Bottom line If a cop or me is shooting at you my intent is to stop you. I'll stop shooting when the gun falls from your hand or you are dead.
Whoppie doo, he did NOT shoot AT him. He is NOT a cop & IS NOT subject to the same rules you are and your attitude is exactly WHY we NEED to keep you on a tighter leash. LEO tend to develop an attitude of superiority because they go thru minimal training & get to wear uniforms, badges & guns. Your job is to catch the bad guy, not prevent crimes or defend the civilian population. Like a garbage mans job is to collect the trash not clean the neighborhood. My job is to live my life & protect my family and/or neighborhood from whatever may threaten them. If we wait for you often we die before you can come in & clean up the mess. You feel good when you solve a puzzle & put the bad guy away, but the crime has already happened & the victims will still be victims. If we had more people like this gentleman, willing to do what needs being done NOW, the streets would be safer & we could likely cut back on the numbers of LEO thereby saving us untold millions of dollars. But we dont, so we have to tolerate the occasional belligerent LEO who forgot, or never knew, just exactly what his job is.

Old 02-24-2012, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
You're comparing apples to oranges. British cities are very different in layout, people live a lot closer to one another and rich, middle class and poor are forced to intermingle mainly due to the layout of our towns and cities. In the US, you can generally stay out of trouble by avoiding inner city ghettos. Depending on how you look at it, that's either good or bad.

Biggest real difference is you blokes are forbidden from defending yourselves. Bring back sane gun laws & your lot would improve overnight.
Our crime in this country has been spriraling upward until very recently, it started to rise at the same time gun control started becoming more common. Not sure why its slowed down but it might be the record gun saled in the US in recent years.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:04 AM

256 posts, read 207,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Biggest real difference is you blokes are forbidden from defending yourselves. Bring back sane gun laws & your lot would improve overnight.
Our crime in this country has been spriraling upward until very recently, it started to rise at the same time gun control started becoming more common. Not sure why its slowed down but it might be the record gun saled in the US in recent years.
The violent crime rate has been on a downward trend for about twenty years.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:56 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,068,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanguy View Post
The violent crime rate has been on a downward trend for about twenty years.
Violent crime started skyrocketing about the same time as gun control started. Personally I think there are entirely different variables at work but there are coincidences. Also while 20 years may seem like a long time for some, for others the last 20 years is indeed very recent.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
Violent crime started skyrocketing about the same time as gun control started. Personally I think there are entirely different variables at work but there are coincidences. Also while 20 years may seem like a long time for some, for others the last 20 years is indeed very recent.

Thank you Joe. People get very narrowminded & blind when you try to educate them about the reality of gun control & crime. They may be totally independant of one another, but if a person wishes to point out that gun control & crime have some sort of correlation they should be honest & look hard enough to see that crime skyrocketed the first half to 3/4 of the 20th century at the same time that gun control was gaining momentum. One could easilly argue that the recent drop in crime is due to recent back stepping in gun control laws. This past year Wisconsin became the 49th state to let its citizens carry handguns for protection. Illinois is the last holdout as far as outright not letting you carry but theres much work to do yet, especially in Jersey & DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies