Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 11:41 PM

545 posts, read 1,556,336 times

Advertisements

Do you think women are taking too little responsibility to decrease their chances of being raped?

I was reading a news article and a police officer was reprimanded for advising women to dress less provocatively.

Quote:
It all started on Jan. 24 when two male officers came to York’s Osgoode Hall law school to speak on a safety panel, alongside a pair of school security guards. The policeman, who reportedly prefaced his comment by saying “I’ve been told I shouldn’t say this,” instructed the audience that women should avoid “dressing like sluts” if they wanted to be safe from sexual assault.

“The cause of rape is not that women provoke it or entice it – men who want to attack women or assault women will find someone to attack or assault,” he said. Despite progress in recent decades, he said, many people still hold the view that women’s displays of sexuality somehow equate to bad behaviour.
The second paragraph seems to be to indicate that rape is inevitable and that there nothing women can do to avoid it.

It makes no sense. No one deserves anything bad to happen but there's always ways to decrease one's risk. It seems that everytime we give advice to women regarding rape, people will always claim that "we're blaming the victim".

An inproperly parked car doesn't deserve to be scraped, but that doesn't mean that I have no responsibility in parking it properly. You can argue that a drunk, alone, and provocatively dressed women have the right to walk home at 12AM. But, would you want your daughter to do that? Wouldn't you tell her to be more sober and take the taxi home?

Toronto police officer’s sex-assault remarks prompt reprimand - The Globe and Mail

Old 02-18-2011, 11:44 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,275,413 times
Women can do everything in their power not to be raped, yet some of them will be raped. They could be head to toe covered in a blanket, all it takes is one man with bad intentions to subdue her.

RAPE has nothing to do with being sexually attracted. RAPE is everything to do with CONTROL and the HUMILIATION of a woman

What more can women do? They can't control what man thinks or will do.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:44 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,572,878 times
Women's responsibility for rape? None.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:46 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,448,201 times
Unbelievable !

Aren't you the same one who was wondering why you can't get a date?? One of the reasons would be sentiments like this.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:50 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,839,921 times
What about horses? What is a horses's responsibility? Should it wear less shiny shoes?
Or is it just some whacko who has a thing for horses? What can the horse do?

This thread is dumb.

I will show you why

It makes no sense. No one deserves anything bad to happen but there's always ways to decrease one's risk.

You over walking over a live volcano. You have on safety gear, and are as strapped in as possible. BOOM! The volcano explodes. You are about to die in 3 seconds.

Quick, figure out a way to decrease your risk from death.

Last edited by 70Ford; 02-19-2011 at 12:01 AM..

Old 02-18-2011, 11:56 PM

545 posts, read 1,556,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
Women can do everything in their power not to be raped, yet some of them will be raped. They could be head to toe covered in a blanket, all it takes is one man with bad intentions to subdue her.
You can use that argument for just about anything. How is it different from:
  • People can do everything in their power to get a job, yet some people will still be unemployed. Let's stop wasting time writing resumes then.
  • Kids can do everything in their power to avoid being bullied, yet some still do. Let's stop teaching them social skills.
  • People can still do everything in their power to avoid getting hit by cars, yet some people will still get hit by drunk drivers. Let's stop using the sidewalk and start walking randomly.
What part of "decreasing" risk do you not understand? I never said that all risk will be elminated.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:59 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,712,606 times
I don't think the OP's out of line. We don't count our money when we're walking down the sidewalk in a high-crime neighborhood. No one's saying the crime is right or justified, just talking about common sense actions to minimize being a victim.

I see a lot of women dressed in skimpy, tight clothes and high heals, which might be appropriate for the relatively safe confines of the dance floor, but when the night's done and they're teetering down the sidewalk at 3 am a little intoxicated they are, without a doubt, far higher targets for people with bad intentions.

This has nothing to do with acquaintance rape, though, which is far more common than people think.

Old 02-19-2011, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
I don't think the OP's out of line. We don't count our money when we're walking down the sidewalk in a high-crime neighborhood. No one's saying the crime is right or justified, just talking about common sense to minimize being a victim.
Maybe you should read what he quoted and what he took from it.

Old 02-19-2011, 12:02 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,572,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkiel View Post
What part of "decreasing" risk do you not understand? I never said that all risk will be elminated.
"Decreasing risk" is not the same as "accepting responsibility", which is the verbage you used.

73% of victims know their assailants, so the "walking down the street in a skimpy outfit" scenario is not the issue.

http://www.rainn.org/statistics

Old 02-19-2011, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimbochick View Post
"decreasing risk" is not the same as "accepting responsibility", which is the verbage you used.
bingo !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies