Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 02:56 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,695,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
I completely agree and it's a staggering sight to behold. Almost disorienting. The enemies of Christ and His people have never been so bold in this country.

"I expect to die in my bed, my successor will die in prison, and his successor will die a martyr in the public square.” - Cardinal George, 2010

The hypebole is strong with this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 03:00 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,604,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
We never were an explicitly Christian state ...
Yes, we were.

Even after the Constitution was ratified some of the states had official, tax supported churches.

And even after all the state churches had been disestablished, many precepts of Christianity were reflected in state laws.

Even today all of the state constitutions mention God.
(Gee, where's the ACLU when you need 'em?)

Before the Constitution was ratified, the colonies were English, and their government was Anglican.

And before it was Anglican, that same government was Catholic.

Before the governments of California, Texas, and the Southwest were American, they were Spanish and Mexican and Catholic.

Before the government of the Louisiana Territory was American, it was French and Catholic.

Surprise! The history of the world didn't begin in 1776. Neither did the history of the American people, government, society, and culture. Our form of government was not something wholly and entirely novel, invented out of whole cloth, and imposed on a people with no legal customs or traditions or culture of their own. There was a break with the past in some respects, but the unchallenged continuity is much more important than the rupture.

Old 02-24-2012, 03:02 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,604,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Washington himself specifically rejected the idea that one religious group should reign supreme and by its indulgence of "tolerance" allow some others of different religions their rights.

Letter to Touro Synagogue - Wikisource
Washington himself punished blasphemy in his army with 25 lashes, no court-martial.

Context, people. Context.

Old 02-24-2012, 03:03 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,937,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I LOVE watching the Jesus Hater's come out of the closet. It only makes it that much easier for St. Peter to scratch names off the list at the Pearly Gates! Which means the line will be shorter for me to get in.......Lord knows how much I hate standing in line!

Unfortunately, a short line "up there" means the death of a nation "down here." Atheists and other haters of Christianity couldn't prop this nation up in the slightest. Afterall....how much good for the country have Atheist provided in totality compared to Christians? NOT EVEN CLOSE. Hatred for Christians in America is at its highest in history as far as I can tell.........its no coincidence that we're circling the drain as a nation.
Thus says the Lord: “Let not the wise man boast in his wisdom, let not the mighty man boast in his might, let not the rich man boast in his riches"

"Do not boast about tomorrow, for you do not know what a day may bring."

"Like clouds and wind without rain is a man who boasts of a gift he does not give."

"As it is written: “None is righteous, no, not one;"

Line seems to be getting longer if you ask me.

Old 02-24-2012, 03:04 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,770,017 times
Quote:
Yes, we were.

Even after the Constitution was ratified some of the states had official, tax supported churches.

And even after all the state churches had been disestablished, many precepts of Christianity were reflected in state laws.

Before the Constitution was ratified, the colonies were English, and their government was Anglican.

Before the governments of California, Texas, and the Southwest were American, they were Spanish and Mexican and Catholic.

Before the government of the Louisiana Territory was American, it was French and Catholic.

Surprise! The history of the world didn't begin in 1776. Neither did the history of the American people, government, society, and culture. Our form of government was not something wholly and entirely novel, invented out of whole cloth, and imposed on a people with no legal customs or traditions or culture of their own. There was a break with the past in some respects, but the unchallenged continuity is much more important than the rupture.
You are away that the entire US government specifically stated in our first international treaty we are not founded on the Christian religion, and Thomas Jefferson absolutely hated the theological side of Christianity right? He called Jesus' supernatural aspects on par with Minerva and Jupiter. He called Revelation the ravings of a maniac. He called the Gospels nothing but lies and superstition. He hated so much of the Bible he created his own and removed the majority of the supernatural aspects. He rejected the resurrection, Jesus' divinity, virgin birth, atonement, the trinity, etc. etc.

The founders did not resemble anything like modern day American Christianity.

Old 02-24-2012, 03:05 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,202,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Whether you judge me or not is completely irrelevant to me. It matters not one iota.

What i'd like to know is why being a Liberal Christian means still harboring some agnst towards Christianity to the point that you' folks will actually hedge on your beliefs? Only parts of the Bible mean something to you, but others do not? There's no way on the planet that an entire subset of Christians can support homosexuality and other societal ailments and still proclaim themselves to be "good Christians."

Liberalism and Christianity does not go together as nicely as Liberals would love for us to believe.

Rather than judging me, you might want to start wondering what God has to say about Liberal Christians' insistence that homosexuality and other sins are acceptable. And you might want to start asking yourself how and why you allow society to dictate which parts of the Christian religion you want to adhere to.

Thanks!
So what you're saying is that the major mainstream protestant churches--the ones that don't take the viewpoint that you do on many social issues like homosexuality--are not really Christian. That includes the ELCA Lutherans (the biggest Lutheran group), the Presbyterians, the Episcopalians, and the United Church of Christ

Thanks for saying it outright and clearing that up for everyone here.

Old 02-24-2012, 03:08 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,389,830 times
Quote:
Yes, we were.

The federal government never endorsed any religion like what you want. Once more just because some states, either early on or when they were colonies of other countries had different state religions doesn't mean we as a nation did.

In fact, if we take your point about individual states prior to admission to the union to its ultimate ending the Kingdom of Hawaii followed the Hawaiian religion until 1820 and that was hardly anything like Christianity. Should we use the Hawaiian model and set up the Kapu system in the federal government as well, because at one point Hawaii used it and they are now a state?

The history of the world did not begin in 1776, but the Republic of the United states, and thus our sovereignty in its current form did begin then. If you want to argue about what government was like before that under a "Christian system," you are talking about Monarchy plain and simple (This is true for California, Texas, Louisiana, and the rest of the US as well since it was all various Monarchies before 1776 and often longer). Republics pretty much died after Rome and did not come back until 14th century Italy and that was the exception not the norm. Christian countries meant countries where the king or prince was "chosen by God" and received the blessing of church, but somehow I don't think you are arguing for that.

As to our form of government and laws they have a lot more to do with the Ancient Pagan, Roman, Greek, Viking and Anglo-Saxon traditions then they have to do with Christianity.

Last edited by Randomstudent; 02-24-2012 at 03:24 PM..

Old 02-24-2012, 03:08 PM

391 posts, read 513,483 times
Quote:
I completely agree and it's a staggering sight to behold. Almost disorienting. The enemies of Christ and His people have never been so bold in this country.

"I expect to die in my bed, my successor will die in prison, and his successor will die a martyr in the public square.” - Cardinal George, 2010
I'm a self-identifying Christian, and I've never felt threatened or attacked because of it. I have however, been attacked for identifying as a democrat. I've also feared for my life when doing so causes RINO's to work up such a lather that I fear they my be rabid and physically attck me.

Old 02-24-2012, 03:18 PM

31,016 posts, read 22,056,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
You are away that the entire US government specifically stated in our first international treaty we are not founded on the Christian religion, and Thomas Jefferson absolutely hated the theological side of Christianity right? He called Jesus' supernatural aspects on par with Minerva and Jupiter. He called Revelation the ravings of a maniac. He called the Gospels nothing but lies and superstition. He hated so much of the Bible he created his own and removed the majority of the supernatural aspects. He rejected the resurrection, Jesus' divinity, virgin birth, atonement, the trinity, etc. etc.

The founders did not resemble anything like modern day American Christianity.
Got to Love Jefferson the "Thinking man"

Old 02-24-2012, 03:25 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,042,155 times
Quote:
Yes, we were.
No.

We weren't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies