Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 11:07 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,829,224 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all of the postings, it shows you've looked into this issue quite a bit, kudos. Hands down, I say yes. There is a lot of discrimination, racism and hate out there and it goes both (or should I say all) ways. I'm glad that efforts have been made to curb the problems (equal-opportunity employment, housing, harassment/discrimination laws in the workplace, etc.). I'm glad America has made strides since slavery and segregation but we have a long way to go. White people are taught that "everybody is equal" and "everybody counts" but some other folks likely have true experiences as to how not everybody thinks so.

Old 02-26-2012, 11:25 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,709,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchild08 View Post
There is a huge assumption in American society that somehow White folks have it better than Black, Latino and even Asian folks. Most high income places in America are predominantly White. The quite and safety of the suburbs is associated with White people. The face of affluence in America is very White. Oprah was the only Black person in Forbes 400 richest Americans list. Asians also only made 4% of the Forbes list as well. But how much truth is there really to this stereotype that Whites really have it better, as a whole? America is vastly White, yet some estimates suggest that 50% of Americans qualify as low-income earners.

Almost 50% of Americans Live in Poverty | Alliance for Sustainable Colorado

This study may not be entirely accurate. Still, some recent studies have concluded that income disparity between Whites and Blacks and Latinos are at an all-time high. This study concluded that the median White household worth is a whopping twenty times more than the median worth of Black households and eighteen times that of the median worth of Latino households.

Wealth Gaps Rise to Record Highs Between Whites, Blacks, Hispanics | Pew Social & Demographic Trends

These findings may obviously be a bit exaggerated and skewed. Many cynical people will chalk up these vast income differences between Blacks and Whites to a lack of education and or work ethic. But even Blacks who do pursue higher education have much higher unemployment rates and more student loan debt than White college graduates. Black college grads have double the unemployment rate of White college grads.

Black college grad unemployment rates double White counterparts

Black College Grads Have More Student Loan Debt | Essence.com

Employment, in general, is poorer for Blacks than Whites. Blacks have the highest unemployment of any racial group. Some studies suggest that a White man who is a convicted felon is more likely to get a job than a Black man with a clean record. Other studies conclude people with Black sounding names (i.e. Tenisha, Tamika, Diquan) do not get calls for interviews after sending their resumes to employers.

Study: Black man and white felon – same chances for hire – Anderson Cooper 360 - CNN.com Blogs

Ethnic Names Can Hinder Job Search | Black Radio Network

However, an overlooked fact is that outside of large cities and metro areas is made up of massive swaths of nothing but middle to low-income White people living in the middle of nowhere. Chris Rock would agree. The entire state of West Virginia is an example of the great White rural poverty that exists in America.

BUT, Blacks and Latinos do have higher poverty rates than Whites. Approximately one out of four Black people officially live below the poverty line compared to one out of ten Whites. Most Black households are led by single mothers. Also, the homicide rate for Black men is exponentially higher than that of White men. Black men are nearly seven times more likely to be murdered than White men. Black men are also much more likely to go to prison than Whites. Black men are six times more likely to go to prison in their lifetime than White men. Black men also make up over 50% of all drug arrests in the United States.

Poverty in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Truth About Black Crime

Study: Black Homicide Rate Stands Nearly Seven Times that for Whites | EURweb

Blacks struggle with 72 percent unwed mothers rate - Health - Women's health - msnbc.com

A dirty little secret is that many Asians are actually statistically not that much different from similarly situated Blacks in many cases, economically-speaking. In fact, Asians living some urban areas have similar to worse poverty rates as Blacks.

Poverty Index

Cities where Asians are actually statistically significant (i.e. San Francisco, Long Beach, Fresno, Oakland) have bad problems with Asian gangs and violent crime in the Asian American community.

Inside Chinatown's gangs

Despite the fact that Blacks, Hispanics and certain subsets of Asians and Pacific Islanders may have higher poverty and violent crime/victimization and incarceration rates than Whites, there are more Whites on welfare than any other group, in terms of raw numbers. At the end of the day, Whites, like any race, are not a monolithic group. A dirt poor White person living in a trailer park in Mississippi has nothing in common with a wealthy White person descending from old money living in Georgetown in DC aside from their common ethnicity/race. Can anybody here argue that Whites do have it better? Or anybody want to argue the opposite?
I applaud you for your attempt, but alas, you do not understand the rules of the game. The rules of the game, for much of white America, is to only acknowledge wrongs or white advantage when its far enough past tense that one can argue nothing should be done about it…because the victims are dead.

I do not think there has ever been a generation of white Americans who were contemporary in admitting that the status quo was to whites favor and blacks disfavor. Every change had to be forced upon the American people by executive order or acts of congress that defied the general sentiment of white people. Indeed, if civil rights were a ballot box issue or referendum, black folks would still be waiting.

Most white folks only recognize the societal wrongs of past white folks and only pay homage to great leaders once they are dead. You can post a thousand studies of contemporary evidence of racial discrimination and how it negatively impacts blacks and whites will still conclude that the root of socioeconomic inequality is black people themselves and not the impact of present, and certainly not past, racism.

Black people have no EVOLUTION, to them. Despite the fact that everything EVOLVES into what it is, over the continuum of time, via actions begetting reactions and mutations, the black condition is truncated from its evolution. Not only is the current black condition truncated from the past, its also truncated and separated from any contemporary racism. Indeed, the objective of the truncation is to leave nothing left to blame the black condition but the innate propensities and proclivities endemic to black people, which some like to use the euphemism of culture, because to attack the genetics exposes their racism. Hence, inferior black culture is the problem, but we do not practice African culture…. not after over 300 years here. So where did the culture we have evolve?

I think that many white people will not accept any explanation that does not reside in the doctrine of black inferiority (to whites). I mean, many would have you believe that black folks have experienced nothing that white folks have not experienced too. In other words, white folks had to carry the same ball and chain as black folks…but look where white folks are today compared to black folks? You see, the end result of their calculation is always black inferiority. If we say black have had special or different circumstances, they call….BS! Why, because to admit that external factors explain things would burst the bubble of superiority.

One can only enjoy the feeling of true superiority if they rose to the top in a fair competition. Thus, the subconscious, if not conscious, objective of many whites is to live in denial about unfairness. Thus, they will reject any and all evidence that would seem to explain why blacks are in a lower socioeconomic condition to whites, due to racial unfairness historical or contemporary. Not only would it threaten their superiority by association (white), it creates a moral quagmire of what to do about it. To admit that past and present racism still negatively impacts the black collective, if not a particular individual, then how does society offset that? Moreover, to admit that racism is still widespread against blacks, while one is vehemently against affirmative action and leadership who press the issue of equality, would obviously seem like an attempt to PRESERVE or CONSERVE racial inequality, if not by intent, certainly by effect.

I could go on and on but I do not want to raise these folk’s blood pressure or cause ulcers. They will take words and try reverse psychology saying that I AM THE PROBLEM and that threads like this talking about race only makes the matter worse….yadda yadda. Of course the goal is to silence the truth. When they say it only makes matters worse what they really mean is that they are upset and angry and they may take that anger out on some innocent black person if people like me don’t stop exposing these things. I mean, how else would it make matters worse if it does not increase white racism? I mean, why would anything that I say change how a white person treated another black person just because they were upset at something I said? That sounds like the reasoning of someone who is already predisposed to be racist….and is just looking for an excuse.

What people do not know was that Obama was the writeoff. Electing Obama was supposed to clear all past and present liabilities of a racist nation, to black people.

FOR PETE"S SAKE.......WE ELECTED A BLACK PERSON AS PRESIDENT....WHAT ELSE DO YOU WANT!

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 02-26-2012 at 11:33 AM..

Old 02-26-2012, 11:42 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,418,303 times
Anyone in America has it better than anyone else in the world. Even with our problems we are still a free democracy.

I don't condone illegal immigration but I know why they come.

Old 02-26-2012, 01:17 PM

6,897 posts, read 4,752,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I applaud you for your attempt, but alas, you do not understand the rules of the game. The rules of the game, for much of white America, is to only acknowledge wrongs or white advantage when its far enough past tense that one can argue nothing should be done about it…because the victims are dead.

I do not think there has ever been a generation of white Americans who were contemporary in admitting that the status quo was to whites favor and blacks disfavor. Every change had to be forced upon the American people by executive order or acts of congress that defied the general sentiment of white people. Indeed, if civil rights were a ballot box issue or referendum, black folks would still be waiting.

Most white folks only recognize the societal wrongs of past white folks and only pay homage to great leaders once they are dead. You can post a thousand studies of contemporary evidence of racial discrimination and how it negatively impacts blacks and whites will still conclude that the root of socioeconomic inequality is black people themselves and not the impact of present, and certainly not past, racism.

Black people have no EVOLUTION, to them. Despite the fact that everything EVOLVES into what it is, over the continuum of time, via actions begetting reactions and mutations, the black condition is truncated from its evolution. Not only is the current black condition truncated from the past, its also truncated and separated from any contemporary racism. Indeed, the objective of the truncation is to leave nothing left to blame the black condition but the innate propensities and proclivities endemic to black people, which some like to use the euphemism of culture, because to attack the genetics exposes their racism. Hence, inferior black culture is the problem, but we do not practice African culture…. not after over 300 years here. So where did the culture we have evolve?

I think that many white people will not accept any explanation that does not reside in the doctrine of black inferiority (to whites). I mean, many would have you believe that black folks have experienced nothing that white folks have not experienced too. In other words, white folks had to carry the same ball and chain as black folks…but look where white folks are today compared to black folks? You see, the end result of their calculation is always black inferiority. If we say black have had special or different circumstances, they call….BS! Why, because to admit that external factors explain things would burst the bubble of superiority.

One can only enjoy the feeling of true superiority if they rose to the top in a fair competition. Thus, the subconscious, if not conscious, objective of many whites is to live in denial about unfairness. Thus, they will reject any and all evidence that would seem to explain why blacks are in a lower socioeconomic condition to whites, due to racial unfairness historical or contemporary. Not only would it threaten their superiority by association (white), it creates a moral quagmire of what to do about it. To admit that past and present racism still negatively impacts the black collective, if not a particular individual, then how does society offset that? Moreover, to admit that racism is still widespread against blacks, while one is vehemently against affirmative action and leadership who press the issue of equality, would obviously seem like an attempt to PRESERVE or CONSERVE racial inequality, if not by intent, certainly by effect.

I could go on and on but I do not want to raise these folk’s blood pressure or cause ulcers. They will take words and try reverse psychology saying that I AM THE PROBLEM and that threads like this talking about race only makes the matter worse….yadda yadda. Of course the goal is to silence the truth. When they say it only makes matters worse what they really mean is that they are upset and angry and they may take that anger out on some innocent black person if people like me don’t stop exposing these things. I mean, how else would it make matters worse if it does not increase white racism? I mean, why would anything that I say change how a white person treated another black person just because they were upset at something I said? That sounds like the reasoning of someone who is already predisposed to be racist….and is just looking for an excuse.

What people do not know was that Obama was the writeoff. Electing Obama was supposed to clear all past and present liabilities of a racist nation, to black people.

FOR PETE"S SAKE.......WE ELECTED A BLACK PERSON AS PRESIDENT....WHAT ELSE DO YOU WANT!
Thanks for the laugh!

Old 02-26-2012, 02:09 PM

1,081 posts, read 916,078 times
Blacks need better role models. Not rappers, bb players, or folks like Jesse Jackson or Spike Lee that actually make a good living off racism.
Bill Cosby nailed it years back and the black community wanted to burn him alive for it.
Adapt and overcome, that needs to be their motto.

Old 02-26-2012, 02:11 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyBaaBaa View Post
Blacks need better role models. Not rappers, bb players, or folks like Jesse Jackson or Spike Lee that actually make a good living off racism.
Bill Cosby nailed it years back and the black community wanted to burn him alive for it.
You don't know what the hell you're talking about. Give it a rest til you do.

"Adapt and overcome." LMAO...these folks...i swear.

Old 02-26-2012, 02:18 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,709,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyBaaBaa View Post
Do white folks have better role models than black folks? Care to explain how that came to be true if true? Is the lack of role models a symptom of a bigger problem that needs to be addressed? How do black people take control of our communities without being bound by the laws of this land that prohibit racial discrimination.....because anytime we try to target ourselves to help ourselves white folks cry foul and file suit because white people are not allowed to target white folks too. Every move we make there is some move white folks come up with to try and block it.

Old 02-26-2012, 02:21 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Do white folks have better role models than black folks? Care to explain how that came to be true if true? Is the lack of role models a symptom of a bigger problem that needs to be addressed? How do black people take control of our communities without being bound by the laws of this land that prohibit racial discrimination.....because anytime we try to target ourselves to help ourselves white folks cry foul and file suit because white people are not allowed to target white folks too.
Hell, as far as i'm concerned, white folks were our role models. Now they want to hand the job off to someone else since they don't like the outcome.

Whatever. I just laugh at this nonsense.

Old 02-26-2012, 02:56 PM

683 posts, read 1,469,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchild08 View Post
There is a huge assumption in American society that somehow White folks have it better than Black, Latino and even Asian folks. Most high income places in America are predominantly White. The quite and safety of the suburbs is associated with White people. The face of affluence in America is very White. Oprah was the only Black person in Forbes 400 richest Americans list. Asians also only made 4% of the Forbes list as well. But how much truth is there really to this stereotype that Whites really have it better, as a whole? America is vastly White, yet some estimates suggest that 50% of Americans qualify as low-income earners.

Almost 50% of Americans Live in Poverty | Alliance for Sustainable Colorado

This study may not be entirely accurate. Still, some recent studies have concluded that income disparity between Whites and Blacks and Latinos are at an all-time high. This study concluded that the median White household worth is a whopping twenty times more than the median worth of Black households and eighteen times that of the median worth of Latino households.

Wealth Gaps Rise to Record Highs Between Whites, Blacks, Hispanics | Pew Social & Demographic Trends

These findings may obviously be a bit exaggerated and skewed. Many cynical people will chalk up these vast income differences between Blacks and Whites to a lack of education and or work ethic. But even Blacks who do pursue higher education have much higher unemployment rates and more student loan debt than White college graduates. Black college grads have double the unemployment rate of White college grads.

Black college grad unemployment rates double White counterparts

Black College Grads Have More Student Loan Debt | Essence.com

Employment, in general, is poorer for Blacks than Whites. Blacks have the highest unemployment of any racial group. Some studies suggest that a White man who is a convicted felon is more likely to get a job than a Black man with a clean record. Other studies conclude people with Black sounding names (i.e. Tenisha, Tamika, Diquan) do not get calls for interviews after sending their resumes to employers.

Study: Black man and white felon – same chances for hire – Anderson Cooper 360 - CNN.com Blogs

Ethnic Names Can Hinder Job Search | Black Radio Network

However, an overlooked fact is that outside of large cities and metro areas is made up of massive swaths of nothing but middle to low-income White people living in the middle of nowhere. Chris Rock would agree. The entire state of West Virginia is an example of the great White rural poverty that exists in America.

BUT, Blacks and Latinos do have higher poverty rates than Whites. Approximately one out of four Black people officially live below the poverty line compared to one out of ten Whites. Most Black households are led by single mothers. Also, the homicide rate for Black men is exponentially higher than that of White men. Black men are nearly seven times more likely to be murdered than White men. Black men are also much more likely to go to prison than Whites. Black men are six times more likely to go to prison in their lifetime than White men. Black men also make up over 50% of all drug arrests in the United States.

Poverty in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Truth About Black Crime

Study: Black Homicide Rate Stands Nearly Seven Times that for Whites | EURweb

Blacks struggle with 72 percent unwed mothers rate - Health - Women's health - msnbc.com

A dirty little secret is that many Asians are actually statistically not that much different from similarly situated Blacks in many cases, economically-speaking. In fact, Asians living some urban areas have similar to worse poverty rates as Blacks.

Poverty Index

Cities where Asians are actually statistically significant (i.e. San Francisco, Long Beach, Fresno, Oakland) have bad problems with Asian gangs and violent crime in the Asian American community.

Inside Chinatown's gangs

Despite the fact that Blacks, Hispanics and certain subsets of Asians and Pacific Islanders may have higher poverty and violent crime/victimization and incarceration rates than Whites, there are more Whites on welfare than any other group, in terms of raw numbers. At the end of the day, Whites, like any race, are not a monolithic group. A dirt poor White person living in a trailer park in Mississippi has nothing in common with a wealthy White person descending from old money living in Georgetown in DC aside from their common ethnicity/race. Can anybody here argue that Whites do have it better? Or anybody want to argue the opposite?
Asians are not white, Black are not white, Hispanics can be white.

Your post lacks of logic.

Old 02-26-2012, 03:06 PM

1,081 posts, read 916,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Hell, as far as i'm concerned, white folks were our role models. Now they want to hand the job off to someone else since they don't like the outcome.

Whatever. I just laugh at this nonsense.
So what's the answer? More free stuff from the government? Let me know how that works out...
Like I said, Bill Cosby had some answers and you shut him down. The truth stung a little maybe.
Maybe black people have borderline personalities, kinda looks that way reading these posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies