Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-29-2012, 08:02 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,331,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Keep supporting the right wingers, especially the religious loons. Contraceptives should never be used and every birth is a blessing in their eyes

Unless it is an election year
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 08:26 AM

I have been an income mantenance caseworker for 5 years and I really hate to agree with some of the more conservative pollsters but there is some validity in what they say. I had a case load of over 500 women and children and few disabled men. Many of them have been on assitance all of their lives and continued with adult children and grandchildren. There have been a few who have moved off of the government's tit, but in reality it was far and few in between. Why? When I interviewed them initially to find out the root of the probelm was, it turned out that many of the single family homes have probelms with childcare cost. Apparently, the available jobs do not cover the cost of transportation and childcare and living expenses. This is nothing more then simple economics, it is cheaper to stay at home and collect change rather to work yourself into a hole. Who in their right mind wants to work to pay someone else and not have anything to show in return? If jobs paid better or the cost of transportation and childcare was somehow subsidized for a certain period of time maybe things would change and this would be a mute conversation

Old 02-29-2012, 08:32 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,143,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
I have been an income mantenance caseworker for 5 years and I really hate to agree with some of the more conservative pollsters but there is some validity in what they say. I had a case load of over 500 women and children and few disabled men. Many of them have been on assitance all of their lives and continued with adult children and grandchildren. There have been a few who have moved off of the government's tit, but in reality it was far and few in between. Why? When I interviewed them initially to find out the root of the probelm was, it turned out that many of the single family homes have probelms with childcare cost. Apparently, the available jobs do not cover the cost of transportation and childcare and living expenses. This is nothing more then simple economics, it is cheaper to stay at home and collect change rather to work yourself into a hole. Who in their right mind wants to work to pay someone else and not have anything to show in return? If jobs paid better or the cost of transportation and childcare was somehow subsidized for a certain period of time maybe things would change and this would be a mute conversation
Thank you for your objectivity. What I said in the OP is logical to most people. You providing your experience makes it very clear what we knew all along. Too bad Liberalism for the most part mandates ignoring the writing on the wall simply to argue against conservatism.

Free Love For All, No Matter The Cost, No Matter The Consequence™

We're cirlcling the drain as a nation, and Liberals are much obliged to let it happen.

Good post!

Old 02-29-2012, 08:34 AM

What also can be done is provide more training programs the actually will place these people in decent paying positions. The sad thing, about it is that there are so many people who have never been in this situation or had a safety net to help them without government assitance they take it for granted that everyone can get up on their feet as easily. The other part is education, I found that the overwhelming amount of people on asst have no basic knowledge of money management. If this is taught in the schools it would also have a profound affect on the welfare system.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:33 AM

3,398 posts, read 5,109,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
This thread is about WIC - not welfare/SNAP and Section 8! If you want to discuss those programs, I'm sure many of us will have a different opinion on the topic.
Yes, please forgive us. Those of us pulling our own weight have a problem keeping tract of which leeching freebee handout we are talking about.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:44 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,795,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Thank you for your objectivity. What I said in the OP is logical to most people. You providing your experience makes it very clear what we knew all along. Too bad Liberalism for the most part mandates ignoring the writing on the wall simply to argue against conservatism.

Free Love For All, No Matter The Cost, No Matter The Consequenceâ„¢

We're cirlcling the drain as a nation, and Liberals are much obliged to let it happen.

Good post!
Still, days later and this thread still this goes on, WOW. Hey AeroGuyDC please let me know when you're going fishing, I'll pay for the trip. If you're this good at baiting you certainly must catch alot of fish.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:48 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,143,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
Still, days later and this thread still this goes on, WOW. Hey AeroGuyDC please let me know when you're going fishing, I'll pay for the trip. If you're this good at baiting you certainly must catch alot of fish.
National problems require someone to pay attention to them. Thats the problem with America....we sweep everything under the rug instead of confronting our challenges.

I'll still take you up on the fishing trip though.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:49 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,943,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Not that I'd normally recommend taking child-rearing advice from Michael Jackson, but I think he said it best in "Wanna Be Starting Something" - which was ironically playing on Sirius as I was driving tonight.

"If You Cant Feed Your Baby
Then Don't Have A Baby
And Don't Think Maybe
If You Can't Feed Your Baby
You'll Be Always Tryin'
To Stop That Child From Cryin'
Hustlin', Stealin', Lyin'
Now Baby's Slowly Dyin'"

Michael Jackson-Wanna Be Starting Something - YouTube
Ma Ma Se, Ma Ma Sa, Ma Ma Coo Sa

According to WikiPedia

Quote:
"The song's lyrics pertain to strangers spreading rumors to begin or start an argument for no good reason." Sounds like C-D to a "T"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wanna_B...27_Somethin%27

Old 02-29-2012, 09:50 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,848,088 times
Quote:
In 2011, approximately 8.9 MILLION families received WIC assistance.

WIC is intended to help pregnant, postpartum, breastfeeding women, infants, and children up to age 5.

The following foods are available to assisted families:

Frequently Asked Questions

Common sense and personal responsibility dictates that you do NOT have children when you can't afford the most basic necessities, such as food. We're not talking hi-tech nurseries, the lastest stroller, or name-brand diapers. We're talking FOOD!!

Someone, anyone tell me: How can 8.9 million people (men and women) be so amazingly irresponsible to bring children in the world and then have to immediately get in line for FOOD assistance??!

Abortion is not the answer either, for the obtuse who might spew pro-abortion tripe. We're talking about NOT creating the child in the first place.

This is the height of Personal Irresponsibility in America. And it's disgusting!
I think there might be a few exceptions for providing WIC among those 8.9million users. But the concept of no children unless they can be afforded(among other criteria) is just plain common sense. Especially with so many different types of contraceptives which are available for him and her.

Tried to rep you again but need to spread it before able to do so. City-Data needs to change that policy.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:52 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,943,650 times
Quote:
National problems require someone to pay attention to them. Thats the problem with America....we sweep everything under the rug instead of confronting our challenges.

I'll still take you up on the fishing trip though.
What's even worse though is that when given the chance to actually confront those challenges and do something about it, we as a whole fall flat on our faces (I'm talking about election time).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies