Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-29-2012, 10:00 AM

5 posts, read 6,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
In 2011, approximately 8.9 MILLION families received WIC assistance.

WIC is intended to help pregnant, postpartum, breastfeeding women, infants, and children up to age 5.

The following foods are available to assisted families:

Frequently Asked Questions

Common sense and personal responsibility dictates that you do NOT have children when you can't afford the most basic necessities, such as food. We're not talking hi-tech nurseries, the lastest stroller, or name-brand diapers. We're talking FOOD!!

Someone, anyone tell me: How can 8.9 million people (men and women) be so amazingly irresponsible to bring children in the world and then have to immediately get in line for FOOD assistance??!

Abortion is not the answer either, for the obtuse who might spew pro-abortion tripe. We're talking about NOT creating the child in the first place.

This is the height of Personal Irresponsibility in America. And it's disgusting!
Why don't you try either
A. make everyone never have sex again
B. you personally pay for every persons birth control

This is a lose, lose situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 10:06 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsonofJon View Post
Why don't you try either
A. make everyone never have sex again
B. you personally pay for every persons birth control

This is a lose, lose situation.
Government doesn't need to be involved. That's why it's called PERSONAL responsibility. There's nothing lose/lose about not procreating when you can't put food in the mouths of your spawn. In fact, it's a WIN/WIN for America.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:31 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
I think there might be a few exceptions for providing WIC among those 8.9million users. But the concept of no children unless they can be afforded(among other criteria) is just plain common sense. Especially with so many different types of contraceptives which are available for him and her.

Tried to rep you again but need to spread it before able to do so. City-Data needs to change that policy.
And how are you going to decide who can afford to have children? Criteria please.

I think CD's policy about rep is just fine. There are a lot of good posts. We don't need any "repping clubs".

Old 02-29-2012, 10:45 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,841,048 times
[quote=Katiana;23194360]And how are you going to decide who can afford to have children? Criteria please.

I think CD's policy about rep is just fine. There are a lot of good posts. We don't need any "repping clubs".[/quote]

Me? I have my own which includes not seeking assistance from the government. It is a personal responsiblity matter. People do plan financially when undertaking any type of significant endeavor-purchasing a house, starting a business, changing employment, raising a child...fairly basic stuff. This is news to you?

WIC or similar form of assistance should be allowed in cases where children are abandoned by their parents and institutions are raising them. Or if parents are deceased. Incapacitated.etc.

No one said anything about a repping club. A rep is earned not given freely. You read the desire to commence a repping club into my comment? You presume the worse from that comment? Are you mentally stable?

Last edited by Felix C; 02-29-2012 at 10:56 AM..

Old 02-29-2012, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
And how are you going to decide who can afford to have children? Criteria please.

I think CD's policy about rep is just fine. There are a lot of good posts. We don't need any "repping clubs".
Umm....how about starting with the INDIVIDUAL Katiana? Did it ever occur to you that maybe....just maybe.....they know how much income, savings, etc. they have?

Either you have the money or you don't!

I'm stupefied that you would believe that an arbitrary "criteria" is needed for individuals to make their own determinations! Get out a g*****n calculator and figure it out!

Old 02-29-2012, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Umm....how about starting with the INDIVIDUAL Katiana? Did it ever occur to you that maybe....just maybe.....they know how much income, savings, etc. they have?

Either you have the money or you don't!

I'm stupefied that you would believe that an arbitrary "criteria" is needed for individuals to make their own determinations! Get out a ******* caluculator and figure it out!
And this is supposed to be a lifelong thing, with no allowances for unemployment, etc? My husband was laid off when our kids were ages 4 and 9 months. Should we not have had our kids, "knowing" as we did he was going to get laid off then? Were we supposed to consult Nancy Reagan's astrologist, or what?

Old 02-29-2012, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
And this is supposed to be a lifelong thing, with no allowances for unemployment, etc? My husband was laid off when our kids were ages 4 and 9 months. Should we not have had our kids, "knowing" as we did he was going to get laid off then? Were we supposed to consult Nancy Reagan's astrologist, or what?
That's precisely the problem in America. No on seems to think of proper planning and preparation. Why in the world would anyone bring children in the world without having a plan in place to prepare for the unexpected? Why do millions of Americans insist on living on such thin margins?

Instead, American's KNOW that the government has got their back, so they engage in irresponsible activity, because they KNOW their actions don't have consequences. This is the exact theme of the OP and exactly what i'm talking about!

Back in the day, I insisted on all of our living expenses to be covered by one salary (mine), and 100% of her salary to go into savings. At the time that was more than $50,000 after-tax dollars per year into savings. That's called PLANNING!

Old 02-29-2012, 11:03 AM

855 posts, read 1,173,327 times
too much clutter to read through a lot of the drivel on this thread...however what about the people who COULD afford to have kids BEFORE they lost their jobs, homes, etc.? I wish the world was as black and white as conservatives make it out to be...

Old 02-29-2012, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chariega View Post
too much clutter to read through a lot of the drivel on this thread...however what about the people who COULD afford to have kids BEFORE they lost their jobs, homes, etc.? I wish the world was as black and white as conservatives make it out to be...
No, it's not all black and white....but The Great Recession should not be the barometer of national policy. Just because millions of people fell on hard times doesn't mean that Personal Responsibility is not required or necessary. Did people quit having babies during the Great Recession? Did they quit signing up for WIC? We all know the answer.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:36 AM

Quote:
That's precisely the problem in America. No on seems to think of proper planning and preparation. Why in the world would anyone bring children in the world without having a plan in place to prepare for the unexpected? Why do millions of Americans insist on living on such thin margins?

Instead, American's KNOW that the government has got their back, so they engage in irresponsible activity, because they KNOW their actions don't have consequences. This is the exact theme of the OP and exactly what i'm talking about!

Back in the day, I insisted on all of our living expenses to be covered by one salary (mine), and 100% of her salary to go into savings. At the time that was more than $50,000 after-tax dollars per year into savings. That's called PLANNING!
Oh, really? And what did "she" think about that?

And Big Whoop for you, BTW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies