Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 04:01 PM

59,113 posts, read 27,340,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhornet View Post
LOL...people still think this was a real story
CNN thought so,

"On Monday, CNN’s Starting Point ran a story about a banker who left a 1% tip at a California restaurant, along with a note that said “Get a real job!”

CNN’s Soledad O’Brien Reveals That 1% Tip Story Was A Hoax | Mediaite

And we constantly read about FOXNEWS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 04:56 PM

9,142 posts, read 5,807,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
CNN thought so,

"On Monday, CNN’s Starting Point ran a story about a banker who left a 1% tip at a California restaurant, along with a note that said “Get a real job!”

CNN’s Soledad O’Brien Reveals That 1% Tip Story Was A Hoax | Mediaite

And we constantly read about FOXNEWS.

Damn! There goes 18 pages of indignation.

Oh well, bankers are still evil, right?

Old 03-01-2012, 05:41 PM

1,187 posts, read 995,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Spoken like someone who has never been a server or bartender.
I've been in the service industry for many many years, and believe me, those who live off of tips and/or in the service industry are MUCH harsher on servers than those who have not. I DEMAND good service for a good tip. You give me crappy service you'll get a crappy tip... you give me horrendous tip and that 1% tip (which was fake) will look like a gold mine, and I'll make sure the manager knows, and people walking into the restaurant will know too! ROFL!

However, give me great service and my tip will be a lot more than just 20%.

If you're in the service industry and you think that tips are gauranteed, you're sadly mistaken. I think it's unfair that people get taxed on their tips of 15% even if they don't get it... but maybe you should be better at your job if you want to make sure you get that 15% tip!

Old 03-01-2012, 05:52 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,788,452 times
Default "1% tip" turns out to be complete hoax

Once again the rule proves true: If you hear or see something that makes a wealthy person look bad, especially in a "conservative" profession like banking, investigate it carefully before believing. It'll usually turn out to be another leftist lie.

-------------------------------------

Video: The 1% tip hoax

posted at 9:50 am on February 28, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

The story was too good to be true. A wealthy banker runs up a three-figure bill, only tips 1% (!), and writes a note to the server to “get a real job” as a parting insult. CNN, Huffington Post, and other media outlets ran with the story of the arrogant banker and his miserly recompense to the help. There was only one thing wrong — it really was too good to be true.

The post set off a hailstorm of online comments that touched on the 1% vs. 99% class warfare embodied by the Occupy movement.

HuffPo later posted a statement from the restaurant that said that the photo had been “altered and exaggerated.” How exaggerated? Well, according to the local CBS affiliate — who actually asked the restaurant about the bill — the meal was just over $30 instead of $133, the tip was 20% and not 1%, and the customer didn’t write any note to the server on the bill. “Exaggerated” in this case serves as a synonym for “flat-out lie.”

Then again, without a lot of flat-out lies, where would the Occupy movement be?

See video at: Video: The 1% tip hoax « Hot Air

Old 03-01-2012, 06:41 PM

2,312 posts, read 3,666,535 times
Your about 48 hours too late on this

Old 03-01-2012, 06:59 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,788,452 times
Nope. The only other posts anywhere near this subject, have a headline saying it's true. No mention that it's a hoax.

Wouldn't be surprised if the mods here "merge" it with that one, to bury it and have only the false headline over it.

Wouldn't be the first time.

Old 03-01-2012, 07:02 PM

1,081 posts, read 916,534 times
I thought it was fake. The receipt lettering had the same font as obama's birth certificate.

Old 03-01-2012, 07:03 PM

2,312 posts, read 3,666,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Nope. The only other posts anywhere near this subject, have a headline saying it's true. No mention that it's a hoax.

Wouldn't be surprised if the mods here "merge" it with that one, to bury it and have only the false headline over it.

Wouldn't be the first time.

No I meant the news reported it was a hoax couple days ago. I dont know what they said here on CD. I'm here just for the cheap entertainment

Old 03-01-2012, 07:04 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,285,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyBaaBaa View Post
I thought it was fake. The receipt lettering had the same font as obama's birth certificate.

True, people who earn money often have too much respect for other people's labor to do what was reported in the false article.

Old 03-01-2012, 07:07 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,326,616 times
So the reports were 'fake but accurate'.
Maybe Dan Rather is still reporting under a pseudonym.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies