Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 11:48 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Imagine that, you using a religious based website to try to prove your point .
^^^
Shocked, I tell you.
Absolutely shocked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I disagree. Many children are produced as a result of failing to use birth control. I have never seen any studies to indicate that people have sex primarily to have children, even if Santorum wants to make it the law of the land.
I never had sex primarily, secondarily or at all arily, to have kids.
It's so much more fun if you don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 11:51 AM

2,472 posts, read 3,198,096 times
And in other news: 86% of xenophobic people tend to vote republican.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:53 AM

6,902 posts, read 7,537,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
It should be no surprise that the most anti-family and pro-abortion president this country has ever seen finds his greatest support among the deliberately childless:

"Overall, the most child-free regions were nearly 85% more likely to vote for Obama in 2008. And according to the most recent Gallup survey, they are similarly inclined to vote Democratic today.

At the top of the list, with 80% of its women under 45 without children, stands the rock-solid blue District of Columbia. Just behind that taxpayer-financed paradise the six states with the highest percentages — Massachusetts, New York, Rhode Island, Hawaii, Vermont and California — also skew Democratic. In each of these states the percentage of childless women exceeds 55%.

The highest percentage of offspring-free women under 45 can be seen as well in such Democratic metropolitan areas as Boston, San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Diego and New York."

and these same women were single and childless before obama became President. Whats your point? Why is it that you bible thumpers just can't leave a woman's decison to the woman. My goodness, if we get Pregnant, you have something to say, god forbid we decide to use contraception or hell work and place the child in day care. Make up your minds already. Better yet, let go of the poney tail, put down the club and mind your own business. Geesh

Old 02-28-2012, 11:55 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
I've been single and childfree since Nixon.
Go figure.
It's Obama's fault.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:13 PM

16,675 posts, read 15,672,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I've been single and childfree since Nixon.
Go figure.
It's Obama's fault.
Dang! Obama must be quite a guy! He was only 7 years old when Nixon was elected President. I don't know how he did it.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:59 PM

3,064 posts, read 2,638,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Yeah but since you can't force people to get married and pop out some kids and stay together in a happy healthy relationships with a good job to support them all....what's the point of this thread?

The government has no role here.
Surely you jest? The welfare system encourages single women to pop out babies and discourages her from marrying. The government's intrusive regulations/taxes gets in the way of a healthy economy which provides the good jobs. And the government controlled public school system with its dumbed down academics and sexed up curriculum sure doesn't help either.

Old 02-28-2012, 01:01 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,606,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
How?
The historic correlation of increasing contraceptive availability, divorce, abortion and out-of-wedlock births is simply a statistical fact. There is no "how" about it.

Of course it is true that correlation =/= causation. But correlation can be evidence for causation, as it is in this case, because there is an underlying behavioral mechanism to support it.

Low birthrates derive from the availability of contraception combined with a culture of materialism/hedonism.

The availability of contraception combined with a culture of materialism/hedonism has other consequences as well.

Fewer people marry to begin with, and more people have sex outside of marriage, which leads in turn to more "unplanned" pregnancies, more abortions, and more children born out of wedlock.

Some stats here:

"Since 1970, the out-of-wedlock birthrate has tripled to 41 percent. With the help of the Supreme Court with its 1973 Roe v. Wade decision, we have also seen the number of abortions spike through the 1980s and reach an equilibrium today at between 1.2 and 1.3 million annually. Both results are at least unexpected from the perspective of a public policy based on the premise that access to contraception will decrease the rate of unintended pregnancies. But perhaps such an outcome should not be surprising. Several economic studies, notably one by Berkeley economists Akerlof, Yellen, and Katz, indicate that access to contraception and abortion alters the sex and mating markets and, through risk compensation, actually increase the number of unintended pregnancies."

See also: How Birth Control Changed America for the Worse.

Old 02-28-2012, 01:20 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,606,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
Surely you jest? The welfare system encourages single women to pop out babies and discourages her from marrying. The government's intrusive regulations/taxes gets in the way of a healthy economy which provides the good jobs. And the government controlled public school system with its dumbed down academics and sexed up curriculum sure doesn't help either.
Honestly, I have a hard time believing that single women get pregnant to collect welfare. The welfare system is flawed, obviously, but I don't think the mere availability of financial support for single mothers created this problem, nor do I believe the removal of that support will fix it.

American conservatives - in the spirit of constructive criticism! - too often make the mistake of reducing all social problems to economics.

The best way to reduce welfare dependency in the long run is to get married, stay married, and have lots of children who do the same.

Old 02-28-2012, 01:22 PM

3,498 posts, read 2,218,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
Surely you jest? The welfare system encourages single women to pop out babies
didn't you just complain about childless people??

Old 02-28-2012, 01:26 PM

3,064 posts, read 2,638,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
Honestly, I have a hard time believing that single women get pregnant to collect welfare. The welfare system is flawed, obviously, but I don't think the mere availability of financial support for single mothers created this problem, nor do I believe the removal of that support will fix it.

American conservatives - in the spirit of constructive criticism! - too often make the mistake of reducing all social problems to economics.

The best way to reduce welfare dependency in the long run is to get married, stay married, and have lots of children who do the same.
But many single women with babies do not get married to the father in order to keep benefits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies