Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 03:05 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,424,364 times

Advertisements

Let he (or she) who is without sin cast the first stone.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 03:05 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,184,721 times
I doubt the church let them use it for free(10 years in the death care industry), or the pastor did not expect a check at the end. They (church) are to provide a payed service to customers (grieving family) - don't let religion muck up the waters too much.

Do these people REALLY think, WWJD, and then do this? It's political posturing BS and nothing more.

Old 02-29-2012, 03:09 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,022,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
D.C. archdiocese: Denying Communion to lesbian at funeral was against ‘policy’ - The Washington Post

On the one hand, I can understand her grief. On the other, if this particular church does not agree with homosexuality, should they be forced to give someone communion?

Also, who put this funeral together? Why didn't they make sure they had a tolerant church/priest for this funeral?

It's quite possible that the funeral mass was in the church that her mother attended, and not in the one that Ms. Johnson and her partner attend if indeed they are practicing Catholics. As the more compassionate and realistic priest wrote to Ms. Johnson, it isn't the place of a priest to judge; that's still God's territory, despite the actions of some priests. If one's perception of a person is more important to a cleric than that person's spiritual needs, perhaps monastic life is a better choice than trying to deal with the reality of human diversity. To deny anyone comfort in a time of grief is despicable and completely contrary to the meaning of Christ's teaching.

Old 02-29-2012, 03:13 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,214,994 times
I'm not Catholic, so I can't pretend to know much about Catholicism.

I would suspect that some priests are more lenient than others. I read this about Catholicism and communion:

No one but the priest actually knows why he refused her the Eucharist. He knows that she is not in a state of grace he cannot give her the Eucharist. The assumption that it was because she is gay is a big leap. The priest cannot defend himself by telling how she is not in a state of grace. It is a sin under Catholic doctrine for anyone to receive the body of Christ if he/she is not in a state of grace and the sin is greater for the priest if he knowingly administers the Eucharist under these circumstances. That is why a priest cannot knowingly administer the Eucharist to someone who is divorce and remarried without an annulment. To be divorced alone does not prohibit someone from being n a state of grace and receiving the Eucharist. Without knowing why the priest acted as he did, and his inability to discuss his actions, everyone is jumping to conclusions based up the woman being gay.

Receiving the eucharist is a spiritual, mental and physical demonstration that you are living - or attempting to live - in accordance with the truths of church teaching. Anyone who knows that they are not, should refrain from receiving until they have been to confession and made an attempt to amend their ways.

Old 02-29-2012, 03:14 PM

Is this not a case of forcing a church to do something that is against their doctrine/belief system?

If religion shouldn't infringe on the rights of gays (a la the gay marriage debate), why should gays be allowed to infringe on the rights of preists/churches?

Old 02-29-2012, 03:18 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,964,372 times
I am methodist ;my wife catholic. They explain their policy and I do not take communion when attending service wit her. The same as strick catholics who are divoreced don't. I see no big deal other than some politcal statement.

Old 02-29-2012, 03:20 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,424,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I am methodist ;my wife catholic. They explain their policy and I do not take communion when attending service wit her. The same as strick catholics who are divoreced don't. I see no big deal other than some politcal statement.
Did you have to agree to raise your children "catholic"?

For my significant other to attend church as a practicing Catholic, she would have to have me sign a piece of paper agreeing to raise our children Catholic, or convert myself.

Not going to happen in this lifetime.

Old 02-29-2012, 03:23 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,453,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
Is this not a case of forcing a church to do something that is against their doctrine/belief system?

If religion shouldn't infringe on the rights of gays (a la the gay marriage debate), why should gays be allowed to infringe on the rights of preists/churches?
No, it's obviously not, since the priest violated the church policy.

Old 02-29-2012, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
No, it's obviously not, since the priest violated the church policy.
Where is this church policy so that we can all read it. Are you Catholic? Do you know the requirements for taking/accepting communion?

Old 02-29-2012, 03:28 PM

8,145 posts, read 6,542,269 times
If she had a kid(especially a boy)maybe they could have worked something out. Catholic preist.......boy you gotta love them.......literally
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies