Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2012, 10:48 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,990,567 times

Advertisements

Chevrolet needs to accept responsibility for making a car America did not want, Pithy volume during a super auto market overall. GM itself is not doing poorly with market share, but the VOLT bombed.

It most likely will be made for a few more years, with sporadic layoffs as its going to be hard not to produce to many, given sales volume. Any lower and one could make them in his garage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2012, 01:27 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,031,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
The 18 wheeler truck industry should convert to natural gas and put in natural gas pumps at the truck stops. This wouldn't be alot of cost to add natural gas. This would take off the demand for oil and I hear that the trucks can be converted to natural gas for a few thousand bucks.

We move most of our product with 18 wheelers so a large portion of the demand would drop.
That is an excellent idea.

Old 03-03-2012, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
The large SUV has it's purpose.. one can get all their merchandise in it with one trip. No need to make multiple trips and can save on gas.
Yeah and try hauling three kids around with thier baseball equipment and my coaching stuff and a couple of their friends in one of those green weenie mobiles. Those little go karts aren't practicle for families. Of course the green weenies don't like families as the have too big a carbon footprint to begin with.

Old 03-03-2012, 01:33 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,946,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
How many Volts do you own?
Two actually. One for the wife and myself. Any other questions or do you want to shut the f**k up now?

Old 03-03-2012, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
THey are furloughed for a few weeks to let demand catch up. Not unusual for a product launch.

My guess is, when the oil speculators run the price of gas over five bucks, there will suddenly be an undersupply both of electric cars and of manufacturing capacity for them. That is when America will go back to work Full Time.
So according to the swooners its all ok that nobody wants these stupid cars. Or that everybody is happy folks are laid off. What complete nonsense. This is a microcosm of Obama's entire economic plan. All these green energy jobs he has been screeching about from the jump. His stimulous was tied to all this green nonsense. Now we look up and the economy is a mess and millions out of work because there are no green jobs. Nobody wants that crap. It's too expensive.

Now the goal is to make the green energy cost competitive with the evil oil and coal it appears by driving UP the price of everything not green Yippee. Now EVERYTHING will cost more. How completely brainwashed are these obama supporters that they can't see this nonsense being hoisted upon this country.

Old 03-03-2012, 01:39 PM

858 posts, read 708,586 times
You know what would sell more Volts? Not pricing it more than a C-class Mercedes. My wife has a 5 mile round trip commute to work each day. An electric car would be perfect but once I saw the price, I couldn't believe it. They really need to get the price down to 20K. Yes, I know you save money by not having to buy gas but really, the vehicle is limited and should really be represented in the price.

Old 03-03-2012, 01:45 PM

109 posts, read 194,850 times
Ahmen Kuchief25....
This Volt is the newest version of the Chevy Corvair that was "unsafe at any speed". The Volt will join the ranks of the most rediculous car of the 2000's and give the "Smart car" a run for stupidest ever.....
I guess I'm a little perplexed.. The greenies want this electric car so they can save the world from oil, but what puts electricity in the car??? COAL!!! On the west coast now there is a HUGE push to knock out all the dams to save some fish by the environazi's.... Most of these dams are set up for hydroelectricity, but fish are more important out here than people..... So we go back to COAL!!!
Is it just me, or are they completely blind as to what powers the country right now..... Sure, maybe in 20-30 years the technology may be there for alternative energy, but IT'S NOT HERE YET!!!!

Old 03-03-2012, 01:47 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,428,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Our nation's wealth has already been spent. We are running on IOUs and the collection agency isn't amused.
The citizens of the US are the largest creditor.

The largest operating component of a vehicle is not fuel, but rather deprecation. Over a 10 year life, a Volt costs $2,000 more per year than a compact car with similar mileage and no restrictions on range.

If you invest $2000 a year from age 21 to age 65 and earn 4 or 5% you have $250,000 saved.

If you want to feel good and make a statement, by a Volt. If you are good at math, buy a small compact. If you don't care, drive an Audi A6. I love mine.

Old 03-03-2012, 01:50 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,506,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahboy79 View Post
You know what would sell more Volts? Not pricing it more than a C-class Mercedes. My wife has a 5 mile round trip commute to work each day. An electric car would be perfect but once I saw the price, I couldn't believe it. They really need to get the price down to 20K. Yes, I know you save money by not having to buy gas but really, the vehicle is limited and should really be represented in the price.
This is a significant problem. You can buy an Audi A4 for 32k. That's the cost of a Volt with the tax rebate. And Volt is a compact car, and it needs to be priced like one. Most compacts, foreign and domestic, are between 15-25k for their models. I'd expect the Volt to be between 20-30k pre-rebate, not 40k. The price just isn't there.

Old 03-03-2012, 01:52 PM

1,652 posts, read 2,552,407 times
So much ignorance in this tread about the Volt, and the car industry in general. Not to mention the ridiculous politicizing of the issues.

Last edited by Sporin; 03-03-2012 at 02:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies