Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2012, 11:41 PM

665 posts, read 1,243,819 times

Advertisements

Im not agreeing with Bill mahers language, but it is not comparable to what Limbaugh
did to Mrs fluke.

Bill maher attacks other bomb throwers like Sarah palin and Michelle Bachmann
both whom say rude things about people if you throw bombs expect to get them thrown back at you

Sandra Fluke was a college student testifying about one of her freinds lost her ovaries
to ovarian cancer because of lack of access to contraception,and Limbaugh totally represented her position and made it about sex then continued to insult her.

2nd Bill maher is on HBO he has no sponsors,you have to buy a subscription from your cable company to get him. There are different standards for cable premium channel and public radio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 11:42 PM

77 posts, read 170,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
Double standard? Political correctness? Obama administration? Thoughts? Conspiracy theorists are free to throw in your 2 cents.
This is because of the Group 1 and Group 2 phenomenon.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:45 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,292,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pims26 View Post
This is because of the Group 1 and Group 2 phenomenon.
Cable versus public air waves.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:46 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,331,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Oh sure, like Palin's daughter's and a disabled baby!!! Get your head out of the sand.
I assume you mean these gems:

Quote:
"It looks like a catfight is breaking out among the Republican Party's younger members, both of them, because Bristol Palin is on an abstinence tour, promoting abstinence. What a good person to do that. And she says abstinence is the only thing that works." --Bill Maher
Quote:
"Bristol Palin, remember Bristol Palin? Sarah Palin's knocked up daughter? She was going to marry the young hockey player, Levi. Remember Levi? Free Levi, I love Levi. Well, apparently Bristol and Levi broke up. Bristol said she wants her baby raised free of ignorance and backwoods superstition. But you can't stop Mom from visiting." -- Bill Maher
Yes, FWIW, I think he should have backed off of making those kinds of comments about her. That being said, let's just be real and say that Bristol no longer falls into category of Sarah's daughter; she has sought the limelight and become her own television personality, so she's late night fodder -- that's just the way it is. Trig?

Re: the 'inbred weirdo' comment, it's not clear if he was referring to Trig specifically, but look, I agree for the most part. Going after children who are not seeking attention is just wrong. He should be disciplined for it and he did take some heat for it as I recall but then again...he didn't go on defending himself for three days either. Again, why would Rush do that unless he knows that maybe his audience would tolerate it. Problem is, advertisers won't.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:48 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,331,786 times
The real issue here is, when are ordinary Americans going to get fed up enough with this crap that passes as 'news'? Whether it's Rush or Maher, when do we finally get tired of hate radio?

Old 03-05-2012, 11:49 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
who's Maher???

Old 03-05-2012, 11:49 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
So you're ok with a media that gives wall to wall coverage of murders of blonde, blue-eyed attractive females while ignoring less photogenic murder victims. Just get over it? That's your take? I wouldn't have expected that....
No, I'm not okay with it... in fact it infuriates me sometimes. But what can I do? Force the media to cover stories equally? Life doesn't work that way, unfortunately.

Old 03-06-2012, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
who's Maher???
Is that a serious question? If so, Bill Maher is a comedian and talk show host who has a show called Politically Incorrect with Bill Maher on HBO. He's also an outspoken socially liberal Libertarian, which is one reason I relate to him so well (as my political views are quite similar).

BILL MAHER
HBO: Real Time with Bill Maher: Homepage

Old 03-06-2012, 12:05 AM

P.S. His show is actually quite brilliant, at least it was back when I still had HBO. It really is worth checking out, regardless of your political beliefs... if nothing else, for the high-profile and interesting guests he usually has on there.

Old 03-06-2012, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
The real issue here is, when are ordinary Americans going to get fed up enough with this crap that passes as 'news'? Whether it's Rush or Maher, when do we finally get tired of hate radio?
Well, Bill Maher isn't on the radio... but the answer to your question would be "when people turn it off and the money stops flowing." Right? As long as Rush continues to get those numbers, the radio stations will continue allowing him to broadcast. So for anyone who has a problem with him - or anyone else - just speak through your actions by not listening. I know many liberals listen to Rush, purely for the entertainment and/or shock value, and that only adds to the problem! I have personally NEVER heard his show, even though curiosity has tempted me, simply because I refuse to add myself to his rating points.

Disclaimer: I have watched clips on YouTube and read transcripts, so I'm aware of what he generally says on there... just haven't ever tuned in for a real broadcast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies