Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 06:23 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,205,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Nope, conservatives support the constitution. The state has no right to tell a religious organization what it's insurance must cover.
I absolutely agree with that, and that's why religious organizations--churches--are excluded from that requirement.

The problem comes in when an organization controlled by a church but that IS NOT religious in function--like a hospital or university--wants the same exemption. The function of a hospital or university is to provide a non church related service, like medical care or higher education. They receive federal funds and grants for the provision of some of their services, for research, etc. There is no requirement that employees or those receiving services must be a member of the religious group, and the "religion" itself is limited to the board of directors--members of that group run the board through its completely separate incorporation--but it is not legally part of the church itself.

Catholic hospitals and universities don't pass the test of being a "religious group" and they should not get an exemption. It then becomes a situation of whose rights are the most important--the employers or the employees. In those situations, the courts have consistently ruled that the rights of employees--of the individual--take presidence. The employees are also paying for all or part of the plan through their employee contribution. Why should my employer make "moral" decisions on my health care coverage when I'm paying for it too? It makes zero sense.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:26 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,080,865 times
Quote:
Mmm so I suppose you don't want any government? I think that is pretty close to the views of that nut job Ron Paul.
Actually I was a bit of a RP supporter until his mouth overloaded his ass a few days ago.

I don't know where you got the idea that I wanted no Gov't at all...you wouldn't make a very good mind reader(even tho mine is blank a lot,it still lets a few signals out )

Old 03-08-2012, 06:27 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
I absolutely agree with that, and that's why religious organizations--churches--are excluded from that requirement.

The problem comes in when an organization controlled by a church but that IS NOT religious in function--like a hospital or university--want the same exemption. The function of a hospital or university is to provide a non church related service, like medical care or higher education. They receive federal funds and grants for the provision of some of their services, for research, etc. There is no requirement that employees or those receiving services must be a member of the religious group, and the "religion" itself is limited to the board of directors--members of that group run the board through it's completely separate incorporation--but it is not legally part of the church itself.

Catholic hospitals and universities don't pass the test of being a "religious group" and they should not get an exemption. It then becomes a situation of whose rights are the most important--the employers or the employees. In those situations, the courts have consistently ruled that the rights of employees--of the individual--take presidence. The employees are also paying for all or part of the plan through their employee contribution. Why should my employer make "moral" decisions on my health care coverage when I'm paying for it too? It makes zero sense.
They are Catholic institutions, non profits run by religious groups, the government has absolutely no right to demand they violate their beliefs.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
Actually I was a bit of a RP supporter until his mouth overloaded his ass a few days ago.

I don't know where you got the idea that I wanted no Gov't at all...you wouldn't make a very good mind reader(even tho mine is blank a lot,it still lets a few signals out )
It is a fair assumption since you scream big government at any idea you don't agree with.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:30 AM

Quote:
They are Catholic institutions, non profits run by religious groups, the government has absolutely no right to demand they violate their beliefs.
You can't play both sides of the field...if you take money from the Gov't you play THEIR game or don't play.End of story.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:30 AM

Quote:
No,I'll fully admit the ultra left is as screwed up as the RWNJs...I wish they would BOTH **** off to another country and trash IT.
You've got that right, because both are just as wacky as the other.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:32 AM

Quote:
If they don't serve a religious function, and they have a completely different incorporation and corporate structure, they are not a religious group. If the catholic church owns a car wash, is it a religious group too?

Old 03-08-2012, 06:32 AM

Quote:
It is a fair assumption since you scream big government at any idea you don't agree with.
Really??? Unlike YOU,I realized a LONG time ago that I cannot change anything the Gov't does...I have my views and voice them and they carry the same weight as yours do with the Gov't....zero.....I'm smart enough to know it,are you?

Old 03-08-2012, 06:35 AM

Quote:
You can't play both sides of the field...if you take money from the Gov't you play THEIR game or don't play.End of story.
That may be the outcome. Catholic institutions may shutter their doors. I wish the country well if that happens

Old 03-08-2012, 06:38 AM

Quote:
That may be the outcome. Catholic institutions may shutter their doors. I wish the country well if that happens
Oh for heavens sake--do you get dramatic much? They're having a hissy fit right now because they have to play by the rules just like everyone else. They'll get over it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies