Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2012, 01:43 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,400,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
According to who, you? There has to be a reason he went outside of his home and none of us know that reason (except of course for our friend Mr. Cleo who knows exactly what every single white person is thinking at any given moment in time).
The reason is because he wanted to.

If you call the police and say "I think someone is breaking in the house next door" the police aren't going to tell you to go confront the suspected robbers. They aren't going to advise you to put yourself in danger.

Unless the boy approached him I can't think of any logical reason why he would be talking to a suspicious person AFTER he's called the police.

Old 03-08-2012, 01:44 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,113,614 times
As I have stated before and will state again, I will not pass judgement on criminal or civil matters based solely on initial news reports and I won't start now. However, I do find it troubling that based upon Florida's statutes regarding use of deadly force I do not understand how an individual can use such force against an unarmed person, in this case a 17 year old, without being arrested and charged. Whether that person is eventually cleared or not is another set of issues.

3,417 posts, read 3,079,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
don't be obtuse, we know racism exists. The thing is, we aren't idiots who imply EVERY incident is racially motivated. People who do such are racists themselves.
I believe this was a racially motivated situation. Whenever who you have white guy killing a black kid, race will always come into the picture. There was no reason for that captain to be suspicious, but he saw a black kid and assumed the worse of him.

225 posts, read 369,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
Wow. In the time it would take you to walk just ten houses, someone called the police, the police responded to the call and go to you before you could finish that walk & get in the house, huh? That's what I call a speedy response!

Yes it was very speedy might becuase i was black. In my neighborhood, houses are not on typical 1/4 acre lots . Houses sit on 1 to 2 acres of land. It takes a minutes to walk ten house down.

[MOD CUT/off topic]

Last edited by Ibginnie; 03-08-2012 at 02:00 PM..

Old 03-08-2012, 01:45 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,669,733 times
The 17-year-old could have thought it was another person of his own age and didn't feel like taking any crap.

The guard was only 25 years old, after all. He could have looked 17 himself.

Old 03-08-2012, 01:45 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,971,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
Good post. The man could have avoided any confrontation by staying in his house. There was no threat. A suspicious looking person is not a threat.
Depends on what they are up to.

For instance, a suspicious guy who happens to be a pedophile is a threat to the child he attacks. The same goes for a rapist, a robber, burglar, etc..

They may not be a threat to the one who sees them, but if they are a "threat", it will most certainly be to someone.

Sitting idle, making it none of your business, and hiding in your home is how crime thrives and neighborhoods turn into crime zones.

It is a known fact that when the residents of a neighborhood take active participation, crime goes down.

Old 03-08-2012, 01:46 PM

3,417 posts, read 3,079,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
As I have stated before and will state again, I will not pass judgement on criminal or civil matters based solely on initial news reports and I won't start now. However, I do find it troubling that based upon Florida's statutes regarding use of deadly force I do not understand how an individual can use such force against an unarmed person, in this case a 17 year old, without being arrested and charged. Whether that person is eventually cleared or not is another set of issues.
Its simple to understand, a white male saw a black kid in gated community and assumed his life or the neighborhoods life would be in danger so he took action into his own hands.

Old 03-08-2012, 01:47 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,957,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
look, you can keep coming up with all the excuses to justify it. I know want to believe racism doesn't exist, but it was racism that led to this situation.
I know you want to believe racism is the only possible reason for this terrible thing to have happened, but you have no idea what led to this situation, as you were not there and have not seen any detailed account of the events.

Old 03-08-2012, 01:48 PM

4,255 posts, read 3,485,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Depends on what they are up to.

For instance, a suspicious guy who happens to be a pedophile is a threat to the child he attacks. The same goes for a rapist, a robber, burglar, etc..

They may not be a threat to the one who sees them, but if they are a "threat", it will most certainly be to someone.

Sitting idle, making it none of your business, and hiding in your home is how crime thrives and neighborhoods turn into crime zones.

It is a known fact that when the residents of a neighborhood take active participation, crime goes down.

Merly looking suspicious is not a life threratening action.
Sorry, but Im a gun toting law and order type of guy. This man faced no threat.

Old 03-08-2012, 01:48 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,545,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
A man, packing, picked a fight with a 17 year old because he knew he would win. End of story. If he was my son, I'd pay him a visit and return the bullet. You kill a man's son, you remove his reason for living. This kind of justice happens in the inner city around me all the time, and it's quicker and cleaner than the official justice you get from courts. Now, I don't know how it works for families in gated communities.
friend u r reading things into the rag article that are just not there.
we see what we believe.
i attended a trial in the deep south in mississippi a gang ritual execution of a white man (my relative) tied up and murdered in his country store. it was the initiation requirement to join the gang-- kill a white man. the young man was a son of an FBI agent and took one of the guns out of his dads office to do the crime.
the jury voting was simple, if u were a black juror the kid was innocent.
end of story. hung jury.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies