Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 09:28 AM

1,377 posts, read 4,214,024 times

Advertisements

Record GM profit rekindles bailout debate - Feb. 16, 2012

Hey govt, you used MY tax dollars to bail out a private company, they are now profitable, where's my paycheck?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 09:35 AM

13,693 posts, read 9,014,113 times

Old 03-08-2012, 10:27 AM

3,417 posts, read 3,074,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by **NoodLes** View Post

Hey govt, you used MY tax dollars to bail out a private company, they are now profitable, where's my paycheck?
You are going to pay taxes no matter how much you complain. If you aren't paying for gm's bailout, it will just go somewhere else. Get over it.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:30 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,940,895 times
Quote:

First off it wouldn't be a paycheck. You work for a paycheck. This would either be a tax refund or dividend check.

You also wouldn't receive a check anyways. If anything it would be reflected when you do your 2011 tax returns (have not done mine yet) but it doesn't work like that.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:34 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:

LOL..don't you know ? The USG is still in the red as far as GM is concerned.
We're sitting on piles of stock that need to reach $50+ just so we can break even.

Old 03-08-2012, 11:41 AM

3,045 posts, read 3,194,098 times
Quote:

Do you even pay federal income taxes? The last time I checked, the government was still working on getting the last of their money back.

Old 03-08-2012, 02:50 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,242,711 times
No, but the few GM stocks I inherited from my great aunt--my only inheritance--was cleverly stolen and handed to the Unions who brought the company down, all by a "President" who broke all precedents to do so.

I'm sure my great-aunt didn't NEED that money back in the early 1900s when she thought of doing something nice for posterity, and I'm doubly sure she wouldn't have ever considered that the stock of the most stable company in the world would be stolen from a citizen by a joke of a President.

As for the Obama-defenders who now want to jump in and try to justify the child in the White House, don't bother, you're already on "Ignore."

Old 03-23-2012, 05:23 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,344,530 times
What check? Where we suppose to get paid back? We the people? I think the Wizard of Oz had the song...."Liars, Thieves, and Bailouts! Oh my! "Liars, Thieves, and Bailouts! Oh my! Somewhere in that phrase is the answer to "We the People" getting paid back! All the 1% + 99% getting refunded, wait that is 100% which equals "We the People". Oh isn't math amazing!!!!!!

Old 03-23-2012, 05:27 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,150,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
No, but the few GM stocks I inherited from my great aunt--my only inheritance--was cleverly stolen and handed to the Unions who brought the company down, all by a "President" who broke all precedents to do so.

I'm sure my great-aunt didn't NEED that money back in the early 1900s when she thought of doing something nice for posterity, and I'm doubly sure she wouldn't have ever considered that the stock of the most stable company in the world would be stolen from a citizen by a joke of a President.

As for the Obama-defenders who now want to jump in and try to justify the child in the White House, don't bother, you're already on "Ignore."
You would have lost the stock whether or not the government got involved. GM would have gone into BK proceedings anyways. The question is why your aunt held onto common stock for that long. She should have converted it to bonds or preferred shares. She plenty of chances to do so. Her carelessness caught up with her.

Old 03-23-2012, 05:34 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,411,082 times
Quote:

You can expect it right after I get the portion of my taxes back that have gone to private defense contractors to pay off massive cost over-runs. You know, the wasted $$$ the GM whiners don't seem to care about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies