Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 12:18 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,114,106 times

Advertisements

In Florida, the less time you put in, the less retirement you get. And you don't get 100% of your salary at the time you retired. It used to be the average of the last five years, now it's the average of the last eight years. And if you retire before medicare age, you pay for your, and your family's H.C. insurance, as well as your life insurance.

The true 1%? I don't think so.

Maybe the stats quoted were for Congress, the Prez and other executives, not for the rank and file front-line worker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 12:19 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,114,106 times
Quote:
Most public employees have lower salaries but better benefits to compensate.
Not any more.

Old 03-08-2012, 12:22 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,872,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
All people paid through forced taxation are leaches on the productive classes.
Nonsense.

A teacher is not a leach.

A firefigher is not a leach.

A police officer is not a leach.

A vet is not a leach.

A mailman is not a leach.

A bus driver is not a leach.

Really are you conservatives that nutty?

You want a leach? A bailed out banker is a leach. A CEO who puts jobs overseas so he can build his third vacation home is a leach. A private sector insurance flunky who denies a woman treatment for breast cancer is a leach.

FYI, I have news for you. Government employees pay taxes. My household's combined family income puts us firmly in the 28% tax bracket. That means my government employee pays TWICE the tax rate of the Republican nominee for president.

There's the true leach. The Republican capitalist who tells us to pay twice the tax rate he does.

Old 03-08-2012, 12:27 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
Nonsense.

Really are you conservatives that nutty?

again with a broad brush.....

this 2x government worker (retired militaryy and current DoD worker ) is very conservative

Old 03-08-2012, 12:27 PM

59,089 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
Government Employees – The True “1%” « Union Watch

The truth is that government employees are the true 1%. We have far too many of them (21 million), many of them are paid too much, and their union demands are straining taxpayers to the breaking point.
They have become a privileged class that expects to be treated superior to the taxpayers — the same folks who pay their salaries and pensions. But it is their obscene pensions that are the big problem moving forward for America.
How would you like to retire with $6 million? $8 million? $10 million? All you have to do is become a government employee to hit the jackpot.
You don’t believe me? Do the math.
Snip.......
He bragged that he will now get a taxpayer funded pension of $120,000 a year for the rest of his life. He’s only 50 years old. The average 50-year old male has a life expectancy of almost 80. With automatic cost of living increases, that’s a bill to taxpayers of $5 million for the next 30 years –for not working. THREE TIMES WHAT HE EARNED WHILE WORKING

------------------------------------------------------------------------

By RCCCB:
Either you come up with a 90% tax on all government union pensions or just default on them.
It's like a cancer that we have unions in our government. It isn't like a business in the real world where you bargain and the unions just close the businesses down. In a government union case some politicians always give them massive raises, benefits and retirements and they leave politic and are NEVER held responsible for the destruction left behind.

John F'ing Kennedy gave us unions in the Federal gov and here in La La land Jerry (moonbeam) Brown gave us CA state unions his first term.
PS: We have about a half trillion in pension debt for the government unions in CA that nobody wants to speak of.
This is all going to crash us more than welfare ever could IMO.
Instead of just cut and pasting how about a little more detail.

Each state and the fed has its own formula.

Are you complaining about 1 state? The fed? Or are you just lumping all into one pot?

IF you are talking about the fed, how about little research and give us the formula. You might be surprised.

Old 03-08-2012, 12:32 PM

2,472 posts, read 3,198,524 times
There isn't one person in my immediate or extended family I know of that makes more than 50k a year. I joined the military to go to college for free. Why should I rack up all of that debt just to appease some idiot conservative who thinks everyone should work in the private sector?

Just because someone becomes successful in the private sector doesn't mean they're better than anyone else. How asinine.

People do what they will to survive. Republicans don't have the authority to determine how people make money, of all people.

Old 03-08-2012, 12:34 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,872,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
again with a broad brush.....

this 2x government worker (retired miliarty and current DoD worker ) is very conservative
That's nice and good for you . . . but how can you deny that the whole public workers are a threat to the republic assertion is not standard republic rhetoric?

If you believe otherwise kindly tell your party to stop vilifying first grade teachers and guy who delivers my mail.

I'm sick of it. Republicans tell us they allegedly respect hard work yet they have no problem demonizing some rather hard working people. I defy anyone to tell me teaching a group of sixteen first graders or walking around in the hot sun isn't damned hard work.

Remember we're literally talking about the sort of people who ran INTO the burning Twin Towers. What kind of mind calls people like that leaches?

Old 03-08-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
I think it is far worse than Federal workers.
When you take Federal and States government employees the number went from 1 out of a 100 in the 1960s to something today like 1 out of 9 and that is why we will have to default on the pensions and benefits as other nations have done before us.

There are over 40 million state and federal workers in government at this time I think. The cancer has spread far and wide.
Canada even fired a ton of their government workers back to the private sector. It is what we will be forced to do and that is the right thing to do.
While I do support shrinking the fed gov't. It only makes sense that if the President and Congress keep expanding gov't services and entitlements, that it takes more people to do it all.

I think I read that Obama care will need an additional 15,000 IRS employees.

Same thing with states. As fed programs are passed down to the states it takes more people.

Old 03-08-2012, 12:41 PM

143 posts, read 122,181 times
What I find mystifying is how some folks go off chasing windmills instead if actually taking a hard look at the issue. Wall Streeters are still handing out million dollar bonuses on your tax dollar. Government contractors are increasing their market share by making things we don't need and charging 10 times more than it should cost to the taxpayer. We are still shelljng out taxpayer money to foreign countries that hate us. How much is it going to cost us to rebuild Iraq and Afghanistan? So why are we in trouble again? Its those parasitic government slugs! Give me a break. What I see now is the politics of envy in this country- the belief that someone is getting a better deal. Be it pensions or pay or office with a better view. Its misdirection reframing the class warfare from rich vs. Poor to poor vs middke class and worst of all, middle class vs middle class. Its ruining this country. If this country doesn't come together it will cause our downfall.

Old 03-08-2012, 12:44 PM

Quote:
The mailmen get a lot of pension money not seen in the private sector as well, often retiring on full pensions at 50 for the next 30-40 years. How is that going to work out?

A Teacher is a UNION and they are the worst problem in the nation. There is no responsibility going on, they protect the molesters of children in schools as a relative of mine from Miramonte in Los Angeles can testify to.
They need to be disbanded, given a wage that is the same at most as the private sector and they should be fired as need be without massive protections.

Notice NO CHILDREN LEFT BEHIND WAS DROPPED, WHAT WAS THAT?
It was only the requirement that the students be taught, tested and qualify for their diplomas. The teachers were being held to a standard.
They failed and instead of the consequences hitting the teachers union they just instead called NO CHILDREN LEFT BEHIND A FAILURE.
There was a failure and it was all the failure of the Teacher's UNION.
They are the worst and need to be disbanded like cockroaches in the light.

The firefighters and police pensions have been also as crooked as hell. Rather than get paid based on their whole career they and other government union pensions allow them to base the WHOLE retirement on the last three highest earning years; and they are allowed to work tons of additional overtime to probably triple the pension they were actual due.

All this is pretty close to criminal IMO regarding taxpayer money and should be dealt with.
Default or tax the hell out of their pensions to make up for all the mafia type of tactics IMO.
You will have to post the USPS retirement plan to back up the statement I bolded.

What do YOU mean by FULL retirement?
Be specific. What is the retirement for retiring at age 50?.

I don't think you know what you are talking about.

"today, most postal employees are eligible to participate in one of two federal retirement benefit programs: The Civil Service Retirement System (CSRS), which provides benefits for most workers hired before 1984.
The Federal Employee Retirement System (FERS), which covers all workers hired after 1984.
Though FERS pays a smaller monthly benefit than CSRS, FERS retirees also receive Social Security and Thrift Savings Plan payment"

http://www.apwu.org/pay/pbretirement070104.htm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies