Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 09:33 AM

454 posts, read 1,339,898 times

Advertisements

I'm new here and I may be a bit presumptuous in this post, but I've noticed a lot of posters using fallacies in their reasoning on this board. I think that's common and understandable as they are not taught in most college classes anymore unless you take a logic class, or, um, one of mine. Anyway, I thought I would do my civic duty and post a link if anyone is interested in learning how to avoid them and, therefore, reason more effectively.

I swear, I am not being condescending! I just think it's a useful tool when discussing such important topics. Enjoy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2007, 10:14 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,564,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SepiaZelda View Post
I'm new here and I may be a bit presumptuous in this post, but I've noticed a lot of posters using fallacies in their reasoning on this board. I think that's common and understandable as they are not taught in most college classes anymore unless you take a logic class, or, um, one of mine. Anyway, I thought I would do my civic duty and post a link if anyone is interested in learning how to avoid them and, therefore, reason more effectively.

I swear, I am not being condescending! I just think it's a useful tool when discussing such important topics. Enjoy!
This is absolutely true, and I'd go so far as to make the claim that, without logical fallacies, broad generalizations, and the selective presenting of facts and the repression of others, that no forum on immigration, gay marriage, racism, or any similar controversial topic would be possible. Every one of us has an agenda. Some of us do try to be objective (while others aren't so concerned). But ultimately, all of us are more sympathetic to our OWN cause than we are to the OTHER guy's. (And most if us are VERY intolerant--some are intolerant of one thing, while others are intolerant of the opposite, and many are intolerant of intolerance !!!)

Old 09-07-2007, 12:41 PM

2,260 posts, read 3,883,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SepiaZelda View Post

This post is guilty of at least 5 of the fallicies listed

Old 09-07-2007, 12:51 PM

512 posts, read 1,565,599 times
I reject your reality and substitute my own....Adam Savage

Old 09-07-2007, 01:02 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,178,459 times
Well, IMHO, everybody has a different way of thinking.. and what may seem logical to some is not logical to others. Everybody is guilty of logical fallacies. I know I tend to do this when it comes to the result of another action.

And life is full of logical fallacies. An example off the top of my head: Michael Vick charged with dog fighting. (Well... now he's plead guilty... but still) How in the world did it come to pass that the only reason he was even charged (in some people's minds...) was purely because of racial tension and discrimination within the legal system?

I know there's many more.. but I don't feel like searching through the daily paper for a more recent one...

But IMHO, I think the reason people use logical fallacies is because life in general is full of them.

Old 09-07-2007, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
This is absolutely true, and I'd go so far as to make the claim that, without logical fallacies, broad generalizations, and the selective presenting of facts and the repression of others, that no forum on immigration, gay marriage, racism, or any similar controversial topic would be possible. Every one of us has an agenda. Some of us do try to be objective (while others aren't so concerned). But ultimately, all of us are more sympathetic to our OWN cause than we are to the OTHER guy's. (And most if us are VERY intolerant--some are intolerant of one thing, while others are intolerant of the opposite, and many are intolerant of intolerance !!!)
I agree! I don't think anyone could argue for true objectivity in anything. I think what I see missing is the willingness to allow for our own fallability in our discourse. I've been wrong a time or two so I assume I will be so again. If that is the case, how can I not at least try to listen to the other person and present reasoned arguments? Yeah, I struggle with it!

Old 09-07-2007, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan61 View Post
This post is guilty of at least 5 of the fallicies listed
Please do explain!

Old 09-07-2007, 03:46 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,178,459 times
Ok. So I thought of a few more:

Obesity is caused by poverty.

At first glance, this seems like a logical fallacy. I mean, if a person is in poverty, how can they afford enough food to become "obese" by official BMI standards? That makes no sense. But a further look in shows that because of a lack of money, the family will buy cheap foods such as ramen and "heat'n'eat meals" that have an overabundance of carbs.. and other "dense" energy foods instead of more expensive wholesome foods.

Here's another one. Banning guns increasing crime.

Ok, so how does this happen? If we can't get guns, why does crime go up? (BTW, this happened in the UK) Here's how: A criminal is already breaking the law by committing acts of robbery or assault. He or she knows that a Law abiding citizen is NOT going to have a long-range deadly firearm... therefore, making the general public easy targets.

So nya! Logical fallacies may seem illogical as face value.. but there is LOGIC behind (or before...?) that fallacy. Can't spell "Logical fallacy" without logic!

Old 09-07-2007, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgepl View Post
I reject your reality and substitute my own....Adam Savage
HA! Hey, how do you know your reality isn't reality itself?

Old 09-07-2007, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
Well, IMHO, everybody has a different way of thinking.. and what may seem logical to some is not logical to others. Everybody is guilty of logical fallacies. I know I tend to do this when it comes to the result of another action.

And life is full of logical fallacies. An example off the top of my head: Michael Vick charged with dog fighting. (Well... now he's plead guilty... but still) How in the world did it come to pass that the only reason he was even charged (in some people's minds...) was purely because of racial tension and discrimination within the legal system?

I know there's many more.. but I don't feel like searching through the daily paper for a more recent one...

But IMHO, I think the reason people use logical fallacies is because life in general is full of them.
I agree. And let's face it, they can be really compelling and seductive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies