Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 11:38 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
....and by growing more food we would then expand population levels and guess what would happen then?

Yep, starvation along with even more pollution, soil degradation, political unrest and so on and so forth.

I mean look at one of the biggest victims of starvation over the last 5-6 years. North Korea....whom can make nuclear wheapons but can't feed their people. Heck, they lost access to lots of free food from the USA and SK just because they backed out on the no-nukes deal.

In other parts of the world the problem is no different than the population cycle of the lemming. Uncontrolled growth until food resources are over-run and a mass die-off occurs. Lather-rinse-repeat every 4 years. That's often the situation in many African countries where they have no flex built into the system and they grow-grow-grow until a drought hits and then wham. Die off.
Sure, if you have crazy dictators like in North Korea, reason is hard to find, no matter what nature could theoretically provide.

And in Africa there often is that macho thingy, with men bragging about how many children they have. Children are almost like status symbols, and just like in the West many have more status symbols than they can afford.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 03:10 PM

2,468 posts, read 3,132,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
You make assertions you cannot support.
Prove to me otherwise.

Tell me, Shorebaby...
Why was our country attacked on September 11, 2001?
These "terrorists" were pissed at us... WHY?
US retaliated by attacking Afghanistan... & while they were at it, found an excuse to attack Iraq too... WHY?

It is wondered if US backed oil company officials made deals with Saudi Arabia and thought they could do the same with Iraq and didn't care that Saddam Hussein was a pathological mass murderer - what they wanted was oil. But Hussein wouldn't go along, so CIA jumped in, which again didn't work, so then American troops were sent in.
Why were our troops in Iraq for so long - wasting Iraqi and American lives, and American tax dollars?

Why, in Dec. 20, 1989 did Pres. Bush (Sr.) attack Panama with an airborne assault after Panama's Pres. Noriega refused to give the US back the PANAMA's canal? Why would our "democratic" government so obviously violate international law in this way? Why did the US take Pres. Noriega to our land, as a prisoner of war?

Why, as I was listening to talk radio a few minutes ago, did I hear Newt Gingrich pledge the US to be leading producer of oil?

Any source you get will be somewhat biased.
But common sense can go a long way.

Old 03-21-2012, 03:38 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Humans are very stubborn and hate to change. We could grow much more plant food if we did not waste land for growing foods for farm animals, shifting towards vegetarianism would really help, wouldn't even have to be a complete shift.
That's not wasting land. That's using land for a good purpose.

This world can grow enough food to feed everyone today. It's just that too many people live where food doesn't grow well, so we waste energy and money transporting food all over the globe.

Old 03-21-2012, 03:53 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,652,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSoul View Post
Natural, will you please expand on that?
What type of meats & why?
It's mainly due to the land/forest cleared for cattle grazing which could be used for growing crops, the environmental factos used for animal farming (especially in the U.S.), and the grain used to feed livestock which could more efficiently be used to feed people:
Grain-to-Meat Ratios for Farm Animals | eHow.com
Sustainability of meat-based and plant-based diets and the environment

Old 03-22-2012, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
That's not wasting land. That's using land for a good purpose.

This world can grow enough food to feed everyone today. It's just that too many people live where food doesn't grow well, so we waste energy and money transporting food all over the globe.
Most people simply live where they were born, and they were born there without having any say in it. So, are you suggesting transporting food to hungry people is a waste of energy and money?

Old 03-22-2012, 08:52 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Most people simply live where they were born, and they were born there without having any say in it. So, are you suggesting transporting food to hungry people is a waste of energy and money?
You know what happens when you prop up unsustainable overpopulation levels with food aid?

If you watch a couple episodes of Hoarders you will see what happens on a smaller scale, but it's just as real....just dogs\cats etc. instead of people.

Consider bangladesh has 2 basketball courts of land for every inhabitant in their country. In other words, take everyone in the United States and have them ALL move to Indiana. But hey, if we switch everyone to organic diets we can probably get another 50% population crammed into Indiana....well, at least until the mass die-off which would be inevitable.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:54 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
It's mainly due to the land/forest cleared for cattle grazing which could be used for growing crops, the environmental factos used for animal farming (especially in the U.S.), and the grain used to feed livestock which could more efficiently be used to feed people:
Sweet, using techniques like this maybe we can get Bangladesh down to 1 basketball court of land per citizen, then life will be great.

Can you say 20billion people on earth? Sweet.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
You know what happens when you prop up unsustainable overpopulation levels with food aid?

If you watch a couple episodes of Hoarders you will see what happens on a smaller scale, but it's just as real....just dogs\cats etc. instead of people.

Consider bangladesh has 2 basketball courts of land for every inhabitant in their country. In other words, take everyone in the United States and have them ALL move to Indiana. But hey, if we switch everyone to organic diets we can probably get another 50% population crammed into Indiana....well, at least until the mass die-off which would be inevitable.
Being human I do not support letting anyone starve to death, no matter where they live. Since obviously there are too many people in some places, we should try to change people's attitudes by means of education etc. And maybe even rethink our concept of countries and borders in the long run.

Old 03-22-2012, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Thanks, Natural.
That makes sense... although I wouldn't include all meat - I assume you're referring primarily to cattle. And I assume you're also primarily referring to people in developed nations. Less developed nations often can't afford to be so picky.
Generally, it's more efficient to have chickens than cows. They take up less room, require less & yet still provide eggs & meat. Fish even more so.

Of course, "everything in moderation."
I still eat meat, but I've gotten to the point where I don't like to eat it as much anymore.

Old 03-22-2012, 01:54 PM

I just finished reading Confessions of an Economic Hit Man...
John Perkins suggested practical steps we can take:

1. Cut back on your oil consumption.
2. Shop less... instead of shopping out of boredom/thrill, read, exercise, meditate.
3. Downsize your home, wardrobe, car, office, most everything.
4. Protest against 'free trade' agreements & against companies that exploit desperate people in sweatshops or that pillage the environment.
5. Spread the word through forums like this, family & friends.

"We must commit ourselves absolutely & unequivocally to shaking ourselves & everyone around us awake... Ask yourself... What will I do to make sure our children & all children everywhere are able to fulfill the dream of our Founding Fathers, the dream of life, liberty, & the pursuit of happiness? What course will I take to end the needless starvation, & make sure there is never again a day like September 11?

The spirits of those men & women who left their farms & fishing boats & headed out to confront the mighty British Empire, & of those who fought to emancipate the slaves during the Civil War speak to us. As do those who gave their moral support: teachers, poets, artists, entrepreneurs, health workers, the manual laborers - you & me.
The hour is ours. It is now time for each & every one of us to step up to the battle line, to ask the important questions, to search our souls for our own answers, & to take action."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies