Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 05:39 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times

Advertisements

Loud quiet from the left as usual. They were not quick enough to edit their posts so they just shut up and pretend it never happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2012, 09:19 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,568,977 times
Yep---no surprise that DC led the pack in this category. Start counting all of the millionaires in Congress, and proceed from there.

Old 03-11-2012, 09:22 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Well, thats not the whole story.

There are a lot of people with means who move to southern states in their retirement years because of the low tax rates and cheap land prices.

So the census numbers are misleading, its not the taxation policy or the economic policy of the state that is holding people back in these areas. I come from a home town of about 20,000 people. But a major plant shut down and the city is slowly dying. Thats in Western Tennessee. It has nothing to do with the people, or the states economic policy.

Old 03-11-2012, 09:28 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kkaos2 View Post
I don't see this as a "paradox".

As if they expect all lower income people to vote for welfare. Maybe one of the other issues is important to those people and they prefer the Republican stance on it? I mean, come on, get a clue. It's not rocket science. Can you not comprehend that not everyone votes for the most government handouts they can get?
Liberals will never understand why even many poor people are adverse to stealing, even when the government does it for them.

Old 03-11-2012, 09:32 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Liberals will never understand why even many poor people are adverse to stealing, even when the government does it for them.
No, I don't think you understand. Most people in these poor areas who are poor are still using government programs. They aren't adverse to using social programs.

Old 03-11-2012, 09:48 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby W-R View Post
This article is about how much greater the gap is between the rich and poor in states that are primarily Republican.
So, what's your point?

Old 03-11-2012, 10:07 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post

There are a lot of people with means who move to southern states in their retirement years because of the low tax rates and cheap land prices.

So the census numbers are misleading, its not the taxation policy or the economic policy of the state that is holding people back in these areas. I come from a home town of about 20,000 people. But a major plant shut down and the city is slowly dying. Thats in Western Tennessee. It has nothing to do with the people, or the states economic policy.
That is true. Many fixed income folks move to lower cost states when they retire.

But you will always have those with an agenda taking the numbers as they are, without any analysis, and using it for political gain.

Old 03-11-2012, 10:10 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kkaos2 View Post
I'm not going to vote for the party that promotes a "fairness doctrine" to control what shows can be on radio.

I'm not defending a "fairness doctrine" to control what shows can be on radio, but I'd love to know who or what you believe should control what shows should be on radio (or TV).

Old 03-11-2012, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post

Welcome to the South! Why pay taxes when we have our poor people do it for you!

Old 03-11-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Harris county TX is where Houston is, a very liberal city.

Houston is an interesting and special case due to it's prevalence of HOA and deed restrictions, plus its remarkable avoidance of the zoning practices typical virtually all across America. (And an excellent example of the private sector accomplishing what homeowners have government to do for them elsewhere.)

HOA + deed restrictions = affluent people have greater ability to segregate themselkves from poor people, i.e. if you don't allow apartments or rentals of any type, you'll pretty much keep out the riff raff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies