Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 12:33 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,598,235 times

Advertisements

After reading this and a factory worker who quit in disgust after seeing what they are putting in ground beef:

Pink slime,” a cheap meat filler, is in 70 percent of the ground beef sold at supermarkets and up to 25 percent of each American hamburger patty, by some estimates.
“It kind of looks like play dough,” said Kit Foshee, who was a corporate quality assurance manager at Beef Products Inc., the company that makes pink slime. “It’s pink and frozen, it’s not what the typical person would consider meat.”
As seen in the movie
Food Inc., the low-grade trimmings come from the most contaminated parts of the cow and were once only used in dog food and cooking oil. But because of BPI’s treatment of the trimmings — simmering them in low heat, separating fat and tissue using a centrifuge and spraying them with ammonia gas to kill germs — the United States Department of Agriculture says it’s safe to eat.

Is Pink Slime in the Beef at Your Grocery Store? - ABC News

Dog food and contaminated parts of the cow

No wonder cancer is on the rise again in the U.S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 12:35 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Just take any boneless steak at the supermarket and go and ask to have it ground for you.
Takes an additional 10 minutes out of a busy American's life but it's well worth it IMHO.

I buy my meat direct. And this year I get meat that ate MY GRASS at my place

Old 03-09-2012, 12:43 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
After reading this and a factory worker who quit in disgust after seeing what they are putting in ground beef:

Pink slime,” a cheap meat filler, is in 70 percent of the ground beef sold at supermarkets and up to 25 percent of each American hamburger patty, by some estimates.
“It kind of looks like play dough,” said Kit Foshee, who was a corporate quality assurance manager at Beef Products Inc., the company that makes pink slime. “It’s pink and frozen, it’s not what the typical person would consider meat.”
As seen in the movie
Food Inc., the low-grade trimmings come from the most contaminated parts of the cow and were once only used in dog food and cooking oil. But because of BPI’s treatment of the trimmings — simmering them in low heat, separating fat and tissue using a centrifuge and spraying them with ammonia gas to kill germs — the United States Department of Agriculture says it’s safe to eat.

Is Pink Slime in the Beef at Your Grocery Store? - ABC News

Dog food and contaminated parts of the cow

No wonder cancer is on the rise again in the U.S.
The GMO food and food additives (e.g. aspartame), agrochemicals, synthetic hormones, and veterinary medication is also part of the rise in cancer rates in the U.S.

Old 03-09-2012, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Just take any boneless steak at the supermarket and go and ask to have it ground for you.
Takes an additional 10 minutes out of a busy American's life but it's well worth it IMHO.

I buy my meat direct. And this year I get meat that ate MY GRASS at my place
cant do this at Kroger. No butchers. And at Sams Club they refuse. A friend told me their chopped meat is from a mix of Mexico and other places.

Good for you, but alot of people dont have their own farm. I am going to start paying triple at Earthfare now. That pink slime is disgusting, wouldnt even feed it to my dog.

Old 03-09-2012, 01:37 PM

Ammonia-Tainted ‘Pink Slime’ Ravaging US Meat Products

Recently, the pink slime scrap meat used by Mcdonalds to make various forms of ‘food’ was exposed, and its use subsequently came to a halt. A lazy public statement was issued, calling the pink slime “selective lean beef trimmings treated with ammonia that is a safe product” Any efforts to make it safe or nutritionally viable are in vain however, as the base ingredients, the process used, and the end result are all high risk while providing no actual food value.

Read more: Natural Society | Natural Health Information

Interesting these companies no longer care how they are perceived by the public, There are articles about Monsanto and Diplomats connected to it as well.

It really is time to go off the grid.

Old 03-09-2012, 01:42 PM

Quote:
cant do this at Kroger. No butchers. And at Sams Club they refuse. A friend told me their chopped meat is from a mix of Mexico and other places.

Good for you, but alot of people dont have their own farm. I am going to start paying triple at Earthfare now. That pink slime is disgusting, wouldnt even feed it to my dog.
it's worth the extra drive if you can find a market that has a butcher at work. When I did that I asked the butcher to put the meat in 1lb packages so I could freeze and then only thaw what I needed (1lb suits my family for a meal).

One of my first jobs as a teen was in the butcher dept of Winn Dixie.
We're talking decades ago and many of the older women would bring a steak to the window to get it ground. If they wanted lean then I had to let the butcher do it because I was not allowed to handle the knives. If they wanted just that meat or a bit more fat added then I could grind it.

Those little old ladies were smart, even back then.

Old 03-09-2012, 01:44 PM

3,498 posts, read 2,218,751 times
yummy, ammonia never tasted so good

Old 03-09-2012, 01:49 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,939,933 times
The pink slime that McDonalds and other restaurants stopped using has actually been sold to numerous public school systems around the country.

http://http://yourlife.usatoday.com/health/story/2012-03-09/Pink-slime-eliminated-from-fast-food-but-not-school-lunches/53440390/1 (broken link)

Quote:
The U.S. Department of Agriculture told "The Daily" online newspaper that it's buying 7 million more pounds of the "slime" for school lunch programs across the country.

Old 03-09-2012, 01:50 PM

"Never let a good carcass go to waste"

Old 03-09-2012, 01:51 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,298,453 times
Quote:
You can buy a meat grinder for $25 from Amazon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies