Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2012, 04:14 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,029,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
It's all about your side winning.
Which is why liberals want the illegals showing up to vote Democrat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 04:16 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,684,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
I can't speak for every state, but for South Carolina, that's precisely what they're trying to do. The rationale for the Voter ID in SC is that the correct voter, at the correct age, and at the correct precinct votes. That's it. That's why I haven't really gotten the huge hubbub over it all. Using a state issued ID is simply a method to ensure uniformity.
But if you don;t have that state issued ID, what alternatives are acceptable? One reason hawai'i does not require a governement issued ID for voting is the government does not have a mandatory ID card system. If every resident of Hawai'i was required to have a state issued ID, that could be the ID they require, but since Hawai'i does not force its residents to have a state issued ID, they sure the hell ain;t gonna force them to have one just to vote. that is the key why the law can;t be challeneged cause nothing it in doen;t make sense. Every bit of it is such common sense that people really have nothing to whine about. But I can tell you had they forced the state issue id card, or allowed for just fedreal id that didn't prove residency in the polling place, it wouldn;t have been so nice. (this is what i meant by Hawai'i votes the Hawai'i issues, not the party )

and I do appreciate the civil discussion without all the rambling political statements.

Old 03-13-2012, 04:17 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Sure, Mikey Mouse can be REGISTERED but not show up to vote. Nobody has shown that actual voter fraud is a problem. The issue is suppressing real voters so the GOP can win elections. They intend to keep five million real voters from voting and, it seems, GOP apologists have no problem with that. It's all about your side winning.
Georgia just had elections recently (end of 2011) and requires ID.
How many were supressed from voting ?

Old 03-13-2012, 04:18 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,953,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
24th Amendment - Text of the 24th Amendment
The right of citizens of the United States to vote in any primary or other election for President or Vice President, for electors for President or Vice President, or for Senator or Representative in Congress, shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or any state by reason of failure to pay any poll tax or other tax.

In case the language isn't plain enough, here's an explanation:

24th Amendment | Summary of 24th Amendment (http://www.14thamendmentsummary.com/24th-amendment.html - broken link)
And how does this support your claim?

I think you already found the problem with your position in the responses to that post.

Feel free to properly support your premise using the above though. Be sure to answer to the discrepancies of such as some have already brought up.

You "liberally" interpreted the meaning of it to fit your desire. Requiring a state ID is not a poll tax. Especially when you consider the fact that most states will give one free if there is an economic hardship claim (aside from the fact that it is miniscule cost regardless).

Poll taxes were a problem because they were designed to eliminate poor voters. There is no cost issue here, no means to proclaim some plan to keep people from voting.

As I also said, this issue was already brought before the SC and it was found constitutional. Sorry, but maybe you should do a bit more reading and "comprehending".

Last edited by CaseyB; 03-13-2012 at 04:37 PM.. Reason: off topic

Old 03-13-2012, 04:25 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,858,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Georgia just had elections recently (end of 2011) and requires ID.
How many were supressed from voting ?
Just the ones that were suppressed.

Old 03-13-2012, 04:26 PM

1,187 posts, read 995,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I rounded up. Then there is the drivers license test, which you have to pay for, etc.

They are listing just the cost of the license, not the cost of everything to get to the point where you can pay for the license.

Most states, I know Kentucky did, charge more for a state issued ID card then they do a license, because you don't take the written and driving tests like you do and they have to offset that cost.
Yea, that's why I used ID cards and not drivers license prices.

Old 03-13-2012, 04:26 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,026,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
But if you don;t have that state issued ID, what alternatives are acceptable? One reason hawai'i does not require a governement issued ID for voting is the government does not have a mandatory ID card system. If every resident of Hawai'i was required to have a state issued ID, that could be the ID they require, but since Hawai'i does not force its residents to have a state issued ID, they sure the hell ain;t gonna force them to have one just to vote. that is the key why the law can;t be challeneged cause nothing it in doen;t make sense. Every bit of it is such common sense that people really have nothing to whine about. But I can tell you had they forced the state issue id card, or allowed for just fedreal id that didn't prove residency in the polling place, it wouldn;t have been so nice. (this is what i meant by Hawai'i votes the Hawai'i issues, not the party )

and I do appreciate the civil discussion without all the rambling political statements.
I could accept the argument that having a state issued ID could cause issues if that ID were not readily available to all citizens, regardless of income level as long as they can prove they are indeed the person they are claiming to be. I believe that's why the provision of having free IDs and free rides to the DMV came into play. It would seem, that the intent is the same but the methodology varies. It's my personal belief that by offering the free IDs, it eliminates the question or controversy of this being a poll tax.

Ultimately, it is our government's responsibility that each legal person to vote is able to do so if they choose and does so in a lawful manner; which includes voting in the correct precinct. I could see why Hawaii has a huge issue with transient residents and why this would be a necessary law for Hawaii. To me, it seems the Voter ID solves two issues at once. Verifying that the resident is indeed the person they claim to be and second, that the person is in the correct precinct.

Old 03-13-2012, 04:34 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,951,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltheusernamesaretaken View Post
Which is why liberals want the illegals showing up to vote Democrat.
It's not about illegal people voting, which also hasn't been shown to be a problem. It's about legitimate voters being discouraged from exercising their constitutional right to vote. The GOP's objective is to place stumbling blocks in the way of voters who demographically vote Democratic.

Old 03-13-2012, 04:34 PM

1,187 posts, read 995,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
If I needed a copy of my birth cert it would cost $35 and take 3-4 weeks to get. For people to say it's nothing to get the documents you need for State ID, you spread BS.
Are you trying to say that you need that much time and that much money every time you vote? YOu don't keep your neccessary documents safe somewhere in your house?

It's not like these laws are asking people to pay for something every month! IF you need to get a certified copy of your brith certificate, then you'll have to shell out some time and money, but then, if you're smart, you'll have that copy for the rest of your life! One time money spent!

And ID cards are good for anywhere from 4 - 10 years depending on the state. That's a DEAL! What else can you buy that is THAT valuable for that little!?

Old 03-13-2012, 04:36 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
We do not have a national ID card in this country. It's something many in this country are rather proud of. It seems like some of you are suggesting we go to some sort of mandatory ID system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies