Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 08:55 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,202,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Could it be that it was walking while Black?
The kid was probably too uppity for the block watch captain.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:56 PM

3,417 posts, read 3,073,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
My only question is what happened that led to him getting out of the car and approaching the kid?

If I perceive something as dangerous or suspect I'm not going to leave a safe place to go confront it.....
He saw a black guy walking in a hooded sweater in a gated community. That pretty much will make any white person ***** in their pants and apparently get you killed.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
If you physically assault someone in a manor that could permanently injure or even kill them why wouldn't you expect to get the same treatment back in return?

If you shoot someone in self defense to save your own life it's not murder, no matter how you word it.
The captain shouldn't have been suspicious of him to begin with. There shouldn't have been an altercation.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:59 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,841,048 times
Florida has a no mandatory retreat law in situations where using deadly force can be used. It has been proven in court that a holstered firearm is useless if the assailant is within 21 feet. Equally useless if the drawn handgun held in the low ready position and the assailant is within 7 feet.

I was military and police trained and would have to fire or retreat if an open handed assailant made threatening moves as it is quite possible to incapacitate or disarm at close range. I recall clearly from years ago a Hialeah Police officer shot in a public in a mall by a teenager who wrestled away his sidearm. The officer clearly did not wish to shoot the youth and was disarmed and killed for his hesitation.

There is too much of the Ambrose Bierce short story in all of this speculation. We just need to wait and see what the police findings are.

Last edited by Felix C; 03-13-2012 at 09:30 PM..

Old 03-13-2012, 08:59 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,931,272 times
Quote:
If you physically assault someone in a manor that could permanently injure or even kill them why wouldn't you expect to get the same treatment back in return?

If you shoot someone in self defense to save your own life it's not murder, no matter how you word it.
You'll have a tough time proving that you were the one being threatened when you have a gun in your hand and the kid has a bag of skittles.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:00 PM

Note to black people, you have to be careful about what you wear and how you walk in a gated community.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:04 PM

378 posts, read 705,008 times
Quote:

Same treatment here would have been possibly a punch in the face if the kid punched him, not a shot to kill.

What was the kid going to do, Skittle him to death? Make him taste the rainbow? Spray the liquid in his face. Zimmerman had over 100 pounds on the unarmed kid. Who's to say the kid wasn't defending himself. He has a suspicious man following him while he's on the way back to his dad's girlfriend's house. The suspicious fellow obviously gets out of the car for some reason rather than take the advice of 911. He has now become a suspicious stalker. The kid may have started to defend himself and trigger decides he's big, bad, and licensed to carry, and of course who's going to believe him over a perceived thug in a sweatshirt.

Plus the guy had already been charged with assault on an officer which was later expunged. There's also issue with witness tampering from the police. A lady said she heard the boy scream for help, but a drug enforcement officer 'corrected' her (who came up after everything took place) and said it was actually Zimmerman who screamed for help. The lady has reiterated that it was indeed the kid who screamed.

Hmm.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:11 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,015,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Could it be that it was walking while Black?

Absolutely...another family's child dead because Americans believe that every yahoo with opposable thumbs should be packing concealed/ visible
guns. At least, for once, this case is getting attention, unlike the many kids who die all too regularly in this country. Would I ban guns? Not hardly. Would I expect the guy hired to "watch" my neighborhood to ignore 911 instructions and kill someone "in self defense?" Not hardly. Do I expect to see justice done? Not hardly. Would it be good for the guard to be held accountable and duly punished? Most certainly. My heart goes out to the family of Trayvon, and to those who go unmentioned by the press.
A kid in a hoodie carrying iced tea is a threat? Only to the irrational.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:20 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,601,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
Note to black people, you have to be careful about what you wear and how you walk in a gated community.
Why just black people?

Old 03-13-2012, 09:21 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,475,445 times
My thing is how can it be self defense if you confront a person and engage in a "fight" with them. Especially after the police told you not to get out of the car. A man not too far from where I live was convicted of killing his best friend because they got into a small fight at their bbq. If you get into an altercation and there is no concrete proof that the other guy was the provoker, and you manage to kill him, then you are most likely looking at manslaughter charges or some sort of plea. This is what is probably going to happen in this case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies