Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2012, 07:36 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,951,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
If you read the author's subsequent article, link at the bottom of the page, you will see this little tidbit:

"However, the CBO also expects the federal government to collect more revenue from penalties on individuals and employers, as well as other taxes. These revenue increases will more than offset the spending increases, according to the CBO..."

I cannot imagine why you would pick up one small detail in the article, and not the full picture.
Why? Because the right-wing wants to portray a particular partisan narrative, even if that narrative is untrue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 07:37 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
If you read the author's subsequent article, link at the bottom of the page, you will see this little tidbit:

"However, the CBO also expects the federal government to collect more revenue from penalties on individuals and employers, as well as other taxes. These revenue increases will more than offset the spending increases, according to the CBO..."

I cannot imagine why you would pick up one small detail in the article, and not the full picture.
Yeah..$95 fine will offset spending. And the only way they can collect that is to deduct from any IRS refunds.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:19 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,202,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
I'm annoyed I can't give buzzards27 another rep point for dismembering that 3,000% talking point.
Thanks, no problem. Busting wingnut lies is all the reward I need.

I imagine if you boss was planning to give out a $3000 raise got up at the Xmas party and said he was giving everyone 3000% raises he'd be obligated to give put that 3000% raise because he said it. Are we dealing with idiots?

Old 03-15-2012, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post

I imagine if you boss was planning to give out a $3000 raise got up at the Xmas party and said he was giving everyone 3000% raises he'd be obligated to give put that 3000% raise because he said it. Are we dealing with idiots?
Videos don't lie. Obama said it and I didn't make it up.
And the crowds that heard him say it lapped it up..totally lapped it up.
Yes there is a vast amount of idiots out there that have NO CLUE .

Old 03-15-2012, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Gee, I don't see "gaff" in their reply to my original post with that figure.
I see an indirect label of "liar".
Yep, when you knowing push something that you know is a lie, that makes YOU a LIAR. The 3000%, instead of $3000, was a gaff and you know it.

"... fool me once, shame on —shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again"

Old 03-15-2012, 08:28 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,951,723 times
Quote:

In a word, yes.

Quote:
You either really don't get it or are being intellectually dishonest. Nobody said Obama didn't actually say those words at that particular time. The point is that he said p% instead of $$$ -- like he said properly a number of times before. It was a mistake that you take literally. As stated, one can't reduce something by 3,000%. It makes no mathematical sense.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:44 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,009,955 times
Quote:
And the crowds that heard him say it lapped it up..totally lapped it up.
Yes there is a vast amount of idiots out there that have NO CLUE .
Hey Obama thinks there are 57 states too.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:49 AM

Quote:
In a word, yes.

You either really don't get it or are being intellectually dishonest. Nobody said Obama didn't actually say those words at that particular time. The point is that he said p% instead of $$$ -- like he said properly a number of times before. It was a mistake that you take literally. As stated, one can't reduce something by 3,000%. It makes no mathematical sense.
Well the left didn't say that in March 2010. The left actually defended it saying it COULD go down 3000% while the right said it was mathematically impossible. What happened in that 2 year span ?

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...iums-will.html

Old 03-15-2012, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Hey Obama thinks there are 57 states too.
And you wingnuts are going to believe that because a tired obama said it, right????

fool me once, shame on —shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again

Old 03-15-2012, 09:02 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,328,091 times
Quote:
YOU don't get it. Your friend absolutely was taking issue with whether or not Obama actually said it. When he was proved wrong, he now tries to deflect and turn this into something else.
Quote:
wow, Obama promised a 3000% decrease in premiums????? Let's see, a 100% decrease would be down to zero, so how much lower is 3000%?

Exaggerate much? Or maybe you have a cite? For the record, first time ever my premium did NOT go up this year...

Don't think Obama promised to make health care costs go down, you got a cite for that????

I'm thinking I just should trust anything you say, it will usually be wrong.
Nobody denies it was a gaff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies