Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 03:59 PM

1,440 posts, read 1,172,173 times

Advertisements

LOL "O'Green Day" is really stereotypical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 06:59 PM

24,449 posts, read 23,124,128 times
I'm not irish, or maybe only a little way back on my father's side.. But we're having corned beef and cabbage tomorow. It's not a great cut of meat or a good way to even prepare it although boiled cabbage is good. Not as good as cole slaw or sauerkraut, but its a healthy way to eat the veggie. I like the day and to feel excluded because you're not irish is just stupid. I'll listen to some irish music on cable, watch a few classic irish based movies( The Quiet Man, Darby O'gill and the Little People) and read a little about irish folklore.
I'm not chinese but welcome the chinese new year as a fun time for them and usually get some chinese food to help them celebrate in a small way. When cinquo de mayo rolls around I might make some american mexican food. The holiday doesn't have any significance for me but if people want to celebrate it, more power to them and I'll gladly join in. Not to be " included" but to simply have fun.
These nitwits need to leave the holidays alone and stop letting their warped insecurities ruin it for everybody else. This liberal principal is every bit as doltish as fundamentalist christians or athiests and secularists that just want to rain on everybody elses parade and force their narrow minded views on other people.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:06 PM

3,502 posts, read 3,144,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I'm not irish, or maybe only a little way back on my father's side.. But we're having corned beef and cabbage tomorow. It's not a great cut of meat or a good way to even prepare it although boiled cabbage is good. Not as good as cole slaw or sauerkraut, but its a healthy way to eat the veggie. I like the day and to feel excluded because you're not irish is just stupid. I'll listen to some irish music on cable, watch a few classic irish based movies( The Quiet Man, Darby O'gill and the Little People) and read a little about irish folklore.
I'm not chinese but welcome the chinese new year as a fun time for them and usually get some chinese food to help them celebrate in a small way. When cinquo de mayo rolls around I might make some american mexican food. The holiday doesn't have any significance for me but if people want to celebrate it, more power to them and I'll gladly join in. Not to be " included" but to simply have fun.
These nitwits need to leave the holidays alone and stop letting their warped insecurities ruin it for everybody else. This liberal principal is every bit as doltish as fundamentalist christians or athiests and secularists that just want to rain on everybody elses parade and force their narrow minded views on other people.
Thanks for reminding me. Gotta dig "The Quiet Man" out of the DVD pile. That and "Boondock Saints"

Old 03-16-2012, 07:25 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,665,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shpanda View Post
LOL "O'Green Day" is really stereotypical.
The jackass who came up with this was probably trying to insult the Irish. Seriously. He's probably a non Irish guy who resents how proud the Irish are of their heritage so he came up with "O'Green" to be offensive. I think he should go O'F*** himself.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:55 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,930,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
And if I mentioned that in my little hick town back in the 1970s my high school band played at a GOP fund raiser where Gerald Ford was present? I mean I was honored to see the POTUS but it didn't seem right to me for the high school band to be playing at an event hosted by a political party.
Good grief, he was the president!

Now here's a dumb decision by a HS principal:

When Jimmy Carter came to my hometown the day before the 1980 election, the high school principal wouldn't let the kids out of school to go see/hear him. Even my father, a hard core "R" elected official, thought that was beyond dumb.

Sorry to go OT here.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:08 PM

38,650 posts, read 26,428,769 times
[quote=WestCobb;23432814]It's called "Drudge Report" or "Breitbart.com" -- the OP has a legitimate beef though. He's from Boston, and for some reason, St. Patrick's is a target up there from the dumbass wing of the Left.[/quote]

Mmm...no.

It's too easy.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:15 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,234,555 times
Meh. He's probably English. I'd send my kid to school wearing my best St. Brigid's cross.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:15 PM

164 posts, read 464,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
The jackass who came up with this was probably trying to insult the Irish. Seriously. He's probably a non Irish guy who resents how proud the Irish are of their heritage so he came up with "O'Green" to be offensive. I think he should go O'F*** himself.
The principal who came up with the "O'Green Day" thing is named Lisa Curtin.

According to The Dictionary of American Family Names (via ancestry.com), "Curtin" is an Irish (and Scottish) name.
Quote:
Curtin Name Meaning
Irish and Scottish: reduced Anglicized form of Gaelic Mac Cruitín ‘son of Cruitín’, a byname for a hunchback (see McCurtain).English: from a diminutive of Court.
Could be her married name, of course, or maybe she's adopted. But if she's at least partly ethnically Irish, the notion that she possesses any anti-Irish prejudices is an impossibility.

That's how it works, right?

Old 03-16-2012, 09:27 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,507,311 times
I see the Fox Propaganda Machine is hard at work making controversy out of figuratively nothing.

Old 03-16-2012, 11:11 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,665,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marya View Post
The principal who came up with the "O'Green Day" thing is named Lisa Curtin.

According to The Dictionary of American Family Names (via ancestry.com), "Curtin" is an Irish (and Scottish) name.

Could be her married name, of course, or maybe she's adopted. But if she's at least partly ethnically Irish, the notion that she possesses any anti-Irish prejudices is an impossibility.

That's how it works, right?
Excuse me. Allow me to clarify. I think she and her Scots-Irish surname should go O'**** herself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies