Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 05:53 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,672,854 times

Advertisements

The national anti-smoking campaign designed to be extremely graphic is costing $54M. Supposedly it is aimed at teenage smokers. If teenagers are smoking, they are getting the money to buy cigarettes from their parents. Maybe the parents need to stop supporting their habit.

As an ex-smoker, with several ex-smoking friends, we all agree, no anti-smoking campaign, no matter how gross, would have stopped us from smoking. We stopped because we wanted to stop. Most of us used Chantix which was our last chance at quitting.

IMO the taxpayers $54M would have been better spent on the people who have suffered so much loss in tornado damage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 04:04 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,289,784 times
You're absolutely right Ellwood...it IS a huge waste of taxpayers dollers.....and all for naught.

Old 03-22-2012, 04:25 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,373,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
The national anti-smoking campaign designed to be extremely graphic is costing $54M. Supposedly it is aimed at teenage smokers. If teenagers are smoking, they are getting the money to buy cigarettes from their parents. Maybe the parents need to stop supporting their habit.

As an ex-smoker, with several ex-smoking friends, we all agree, no anti-smoking campaign, no matter how gross, would have stopped us from smoking. We stopped because we wanted to stop. Most of us used Chantix which was our last chance at quitting.

IMO the taxpayers $54M would have been better spent on the people who have suffered so much loss in tornado damage.
If the government wants to cut down on smoking - which, clearly, they're not really serious about - they just need to add a $5 per pack "ObamaCare Fee" to every pack of cigs sold. Instead of wasting $54 million to tell people what everybody already knows, they could make several million in taxes.

Old 03-22-2012, 04:39 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,054,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post
If the government wants to cut down on smoking - which, clearly, they're not really serious about - they just need to add a $5 per pack "ObamaCare Fee" to every pack of cigs sold. Instead of wasting $54 million to tell people what everybody already knows, they could make several million in taxes.
The only thing that would do is to fire up a very healthy black market for cigarettes.....and all of the crime that would come with it.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:06 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,543,062 times
Quote:

Probably because you can't see much beyond your own nose. The pay back on $54M in costs for work lost and health care costs would be recouped if only a couple of hundred people stopped smoking.

Politicians and people that empower them (the voters) are all of the "I want it all, and I want it NOW" mind set that is destroying this country.

Old 03-22-2012, 06:39 PM

2,288 posts, read 3,240,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post

And we should do the same on alcohol, maybe a $20 per 6oz. extra tax. Cig. smoke is harmful, but would take some time to make you sick or kill you, but a drunk can take out your whole family in a split second! Oh but wait, there are millions more drinkers than smokers, so that will never happen. To bad, cause that would bring in way more dollars. I keep forgetting the majority has all the power. Minorities need to do what we say!

After we do both of these things, what should we do next? I personally get sick by others perfumes. Lets tax the heck out of that. I hate the color orange also. Can we make a law saying people wearing orange will get ticketed?

Old 03-22-2012, 07:20 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,869,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeinmo. View Post
And we should do the same on alcohol, maybe a $20 per 6oz. extra tax. Cig. smoke is harmful, but would take some time to make you sick or kill you, but a drunk can take out your whole family in a split second! Oh but wait, there are millions more drinkers than smokers, so that will never happen. To bad, cause that would bring in way more dollars. I keep forgetting the majority has all the power. Minorities need to do what we say!

After we do both of these things, what should we do next? I personally get sick by others perfumes. Lets tax the heck out of that. I hate the color orange also. Can we make a law saying people wearing orange will get ticketed?

Well, my guess would be that guns will come next. If you listen to the video in this link you will hear Mr. Holder explain how the government controls us by promoting certain opionions. Very few people have done the necessary research regarding smoking to see how we were fed propaganda in a campaign to ostricize smokers into conforming to society. The president of Mexico even commented on how it only took 10 years to change the way society viewed smokers so he was confident the country would soon welcome open borders...well, one way borders anyway, heading north.

http://americasright.com/2012/03/18/...eople-on-guns/

Unfortunately, it seems we are no longer capable of thinking for ourselves and we let the government think for us. I guess we wouldn't derive much in the way of taxes if it were on free thinking. But it seems many are willing to pay taxes to have the government think for us. I guess freedom FROM thinking is a part of the new progressive movement.

Last edited by Isitmeorarethingsnuts?; 03-22-2012 at 07:50 PM.. Reason: Add the link...DUH!! Sorry

Old 03-22-2012, 08:08 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,373,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeinmo. View Post

Did you even read what I wrote, before you went off on this rant?

Old 03-22-2012, 08:12 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,266,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Probably because you can't see much beyond your own nose. The pay back on $54M in costs for work lost and health care costs would be recouped if only a couple of hundred people stopped smoking.

Politicians and people that empower them (the voters) are all of the "I want it all, and I want it NOW" mind set that is destroying this country.

and much more peace between humans would happen if people would quit griping about my cigarette smoke and mind their own business and find something that they can help like volunteering somewhere, or giving money or food to those in need.

If everyone who does not smoke would figure out that the toxins they breath in everyday and some of the food they consume has more chemicals in it than cigarettes maybe they would quit breathing and eating and just go away on their own and leave me the hell alone.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:19 PM

3,045 posts, read 3,194,433 times
Quote:

In your opinion? Based on what data. The empirical observations of your few friends have about as much impact on the topic as say the color of paint on the wall in your kitchen. Were you out smoking when people discussed logical fallacies in school?

Feel free to make the argument you're making, but unless you have some data to back it up, you really don't have a valid opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies