Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2012, 11:11 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,270,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
When my kids were in college, all full time students were REQUIRED to have health insurance. This is in three different colleges, two private and one public. If a student wasn't being carried on the parents' insurance s/he was REQUIRED to buy the college policy.

This has nothing to do with the affordable care act which is two years old. Both my kids were out of college by then.

I repeat, this is not about the Affordable Care Act.
This is what people are refusing to understand - that Miss Fluke and all other Georgetown students are required to purchase the school's insurance. They just want contraceptive coverage to be part of that plan.

And before anyone - AGAIN - spouts off about this being a catholic school, yada, yada, yada, the coverage the school offers to its staff and faculty DOES provide contraceptive coverage. I know I'm repeating myself, but it doesn't seem to matter how many times I've said it, and others have said it, there are still those who refuse to understand that fact and continue to try to use the excuse that the school considers birth control "mortal sin," or whatever other religion-based excuse they want to use why Miss Fluke and her fellow students shouldn't expect the school to cover contraceptive services in the insurance plan they are already PAYING for.

But, you know, the Rush defenders and the Obama haters (and everything they think they can associate with him) refuse to/won't/can't understand that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2012, 06:35 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,380,792 times
Well there you have the answer. It's a CATHOLIC school. The Catholic church is based on hypocrisy.

Old 03-24-2012, 07:48 AM

1,692 posts, read 1,962,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
Miss "Fluke " IS a prostitute and ****.... Rush is correct....

She was taken on a vacation by some guy and had sex with him as a result of this

Sex for monetary gain (money, shopping, vacation) = prostitute. Nothing wrong with that except... uhhhh... lets call it as it is bristol, while not a beacon of virtue, standds for more than Fluke does any day

Time for you to get out a dictionary there honey

By the way, the selective outrage by the dems is really indicative of mental illness
Huh? And you know this HOW? Were you that guy?

You guys really make me want to throw my computer in a river to pretend like you don't exist. A bunch of disgusting hypocrites who take glee in tearing people down.

Here's your big difference, non-thinking people:

Fluke is a PRIVATE citizen

Bristol is a PUBLIC citizen.

If Bristol does not want criticism, she should not put herself out there on reality TV shows. Should the president call to apologize because she sucked on Dancing With The Stars?

Mama idiot got it piled on her because she presented herself as some beacon of family values, when she's anything but. That invites attack, and it is fair.

So, I will say it here: Sarah Palin is a complete moron who uses whatever is left of her looks for political gain. That makes her a prostitute who only exists to try to get her image out there, anywhere.

Bristol Palin is... I've actually never thought that much about her, so I have no opinion. I feel bad that her mother dragged her into the limelight in the first place.

Fluke is a private citizen that testified in Congress.

There's your big difference. Get it yet?

Old 03-24-2012, 08:35 AM

416 posts, read 638,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
This is beautiful...but we all know ONLY those women that support and agree with obama/the dems/Left would EVER get a call.

Mr. President, When Should I Expect Your Call? | Bristol Palin

Excellent call out the hypocrisy and double standard.

oh the hypocrisy. family values, family values, family values...except for my running mates pregnant, out of wedlock, teen daughter.

contraceptives being part of an insurance package versus the above???

where's the comparison?

were the jokes made by the "liberal" comedians...wait that's right Maher et al are comedians doing "talk shows"

RL's rant on Fluke got down right strange. have you listened to its entirety? and RL is no comedian. he's a straight up talk show host with a listener base that exceeds all the "liberal" bumblers.

comedian trying to get a laugh versus a talk show host trying to rile up his listeners????

Old 03-24-2012, 09:32 AM

161 posts, read 141,765 times
What Maher said about Bristol, is not the same ballpark as what Rush said about Fluke. Bill Maher wasn't bashing her for beliefs, he wasn't even being derogatory towards her. He was simply calling her out for the bull crap from her book.

"[MAHER] And finally, new rule: Bristol Palin has to admit that the reason she f***ed Levi over and over until a baby fell out is because she liked it. In Bristol’s new memoir, "I’m Not Afraid of Life," working title, "Whoops, There’s a D**k in Me," Bristol claims that the night she lost her virginity she had accidentally gotten drunk on wine coolers that she didn’t know contained alcohol and then blacked out and then didn’t remember a thing. Oh, the Palins. I tell you the s**t doesn’t fall far from the bat.

Bristol, just admit it. You were horny. And while we’re at it, stop claiming you were on birth control pills that didn’t work when you got pregnant. Here’s a tip. Hon, they’re not birth control pills if they’re shaped like Fred Flintstone."

He's simply saying, stop lying and pretending that you were somehow the victim of unprobable circumstances.

Old 03-24-2012, 09:52 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,226,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
When my kids were in college, all full time students were REQUIRED to have health insurance. This is in three different colleges, two private and one public. If a student wasn't being carried on the parents' insurance s/he was REQUIRED to buy the college policy.

This has nothing to do with the affordable care act which is two years old. Both my kids were out of college by then.

I repeat, this is not about the Affordable Care Act.

I understand that she is required to have health insurance at her university. My question was, why? Does every single college in the country require you to have health insurance? If there are colleges that don't require you to have health insurance, couldn't she have went to one of those colleges instead?

I do not believe every university in this country requires you to have health insurance. The only way it is possible, is if there is a law mandating it(which is a separate issue). So, I do not have sympathy for a person who understood and agreed to the rules of the college and their health insurance rules before she agreed to go to that school. And who instead of trying to get the college to change their own rules, tries to use the government to force the college to change their policies.

I believe in as free a market as possible. And if this school isn't providing contraception in their health insurance. Then Fluke has the right to demonstrate and make people aware, in hopes that if enough people become aware and disagree with the college's police, that this political and economic pressure will force the university to change its policies.

She does not have the right to use the government to force a business to sell a product that they don't want to sell. On the other hand, she does have the right to not go to school there.

Old 03-24-2012, 09:59 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,560,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
I understand that she is required to have health insurance at her university. My question was, why? Does every single college in the country require you to have health insurance? If there are colleges that don't require you to have health insurance, couldn't she have went to one of those colleges instead?

I do not believe every university in this country requires you to have health insurance. The only way it is possible, is if there is a law mandating it(which is a separate issue). So, I do not have sympathy for a person who understood and agreed to the rules of the college and their health insurance rules before she agreed to go to that school. And who instead of trying to get the college to change their own rules, tries to use the government to force the college to change their policies.

I believe in as free a market as possible. And if this school isn't providing contraception in their health insurance. Then Fluke has the right to demonstrate and make people aware, in hopes that if enough people become aware and disagree with the college's police, that this political and economic pressure will force the university to change its policies. Why deny a woman who is a virgin and has PCOS coverage for a medicine that she needs to treat her medical condition?

She does not have the right to use the government to force a business to sell a product that they don't want to sell. On the other hand, she does have the right to not go to school there.
The answer is yes. Colleges and universities (not community colleges) require health insurance. If you have your own then you are exempt from purchasing theirs (via the student's own policy or their parents). However, the insurance provided by the schools is much more affordable for students than purchasing on their own.

ETA: Sandra Fluke was not asking for FREE contraception, she was asking that the insurance cover contraception in the same manner that they cover other medicines so that she would only have to pay a portion instead of 100% of the cost. The same way that they cover medicine for any other ailment. Birth control pills are used for more than just preventing pregnancy; they are used for dysmennorhea, PCOS and many other medical conditions that are specific to women. Why deny a young woman who is a virgin who suffers from PCOS (Polycystic Ovary Syndrome) the medicine that she needs to for her medical condition?

Old 03-24-2012, 10:10 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,922,132 times
Quote:

I believe in as free a market as possible. And if this school isn't providing contraception in their health insurance. Then Fluke has the right to demonstrate and make people aware, in hopes that if enough people become aware and disagree with the college's police, that this political and economic pressure will force the university to change its policies.

All the colleges my kids attended had such a requirement. She probably went to Georgetown b/c it is highly rated in the field she is studying.

Old 03-24-2012, 10:19 AM

289 posts, read 311,722 times
Quote:
She does not have the right to use the government to force a business to sell a product that they don't want to sell.
For right or wrong, we (as a country) already consider it acceptable for the state/federal government to mandate things that insurance companies are required to sell as part of their policies. I'm not sure why anyone would think that this is a special or unusual case.

As far as the school is concerned, they already sell this "product" (as has been previously noted), they just refuse to allow Ms. Fluke (and all students) to purchase it. It's just that pointing out this obvious double standard has been labeled "an attack on religion" by those who think this is a perfectly acceptable way to behave.

Old 03-24-2012, 10:51 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,270,823 times
Well, GOOD morning!

I just logged on and was pleasantly surprised to see all the SANE and RATIONAL posts for once!

I guess I kind of expected the "Fluke is a prostitute" and "Rush is a god" crowd to have chimed in but how nice to see reasonable people posting this morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies