Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 08:57 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,129,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
The question remains. How do you KNOW they are acting unlawfully in all cases?
What?? I hope that your not referring to the video. The unarmed American was surrounded by 3 officers, had NO weapon, and was shot in the head at point blank range. Please tell me what the need for the gun was. How was this man a threat to the officers?

That was utter and complete BS. That cop should be in jail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
We've seen enough cops get protected for killing an innocent person by mistake. Time for the cops to play by the same rules as the rest of the citizens.
Thank you. Why do they get special treatment? If you want to claim to protect the law you should be held to a higher standard, not lower.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Oh, so kill a few cops by mistake fixes all of that? Do YOU even know ALL of the laws and can pinpoint in a split second when an officer is breaking the law? I seriously doubt that.
I had a police officer illegally pull me over, verbally assault me and my date, and then slap me with a bogus DUI charge that was later overturned due to him falsifying documents.

Some of these officers are criminals. I have no bias against cops, I dated one for nearly a year. Even he had horror stories of some of the ish he saw on the force.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:40 PM

488 posts, read 554,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
If govt agents start getting killed because they have made so many laws the citizens can't possibly know them all, and a citizen shoots a cop without knowing some vague, obscure law covers the cops action, then it behooves government to go back to having just a few laws that citizens can remember and obey straightforwardly.
I would argue it behooves the person potentially facing a capital murder charge to know the law. In case you have forgotten, police officers are real people with friends and family. Most of them care so much about other people that they put themselves on the line every day to uphold the laws. There will always be the bad ones that violate rights and cover things up for their buddies. Officers ARE held to a higher standard and are under the microscope much more than the average person. There is no justification for an officer violating someone's rights, just as there is no justifaction for murdering an officer because there are "so many" laws that somebody couldn't possibly know them all.

Old 03-19-2012, 11:06 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,276,406 times
This is another one of those "feel good" issues. Looks good on paper, will fall apart in reality. Its going to be come a "he/she said, he/she said." And clog courts. Moreover, a lot of people are going to get killed and/or injured over it.

For those who like this idea, remember what I just said. MANY persons are going to be killed, both police and others, and/or injured, because of this ruling. It is going to become nasty. VERY nasty and VERY quick. Oh, remember, this is just one state. So, when other crooks in other states they had the right, they saw it, and they get their teeth kicked in, remember they didn't have the right.

By the way, also remember, the US Supreme Court disagrees with Indiana. They have already ruled, the general public cannot disobey an peace officers commands, even if he/she is wrong. Therefore, this nice cozy, feel good law, will be overturned. However, not before MANY are hurt/killed over it.

Old 03-19-2012, 11:13 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,931,272 times
LIke that wouldn't get people shot.

Old 03-20-2012, 12:20 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Uh, NEWS FLASH: Police are under local control, not federal control.

Anytime you all feel so inclined, you may actually participate in your local government, since your local police report to the mayor and you are effectively the mayor.

Sure, as if minorities and poor people in most places are effectively the mayor. Good luck with that.

Old 03-20-2012, 01:21 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,009,955 times
Will citizens all need to be trained in what is considered imminent unlawful force? I mean I could swing on a cop and in court say hey he was getting ready to hit me first so guess what I was within my right to knock him out with a left hook. This could get very tricky. Defense lawyers must be salivating.

Old 03-20-2012, 05:20 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
By the way, also remember, the US Supreme Court disagrees with Indiana. They have already ruled, the general public cannot disobey an peace officers commands, even if he/she is wrong. Therefore, this nice cozy, feel good law, will be overturned. However, not before MANY are hurt/killed over it.
You have it precisely wrong.

FindLaw | Cases and Codes

Old 03-20-2012, 06:22 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,600,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Uh, NEWS FLASH: Police are under local control, not federal control.

Anytime you all feel so inclined, you may actually participate in your local government, since your local police report to the mayor and you are effectively the mayor.

The point being "What kind of 'tard would wait for a governor to do something that they can do themselves?"

Just thought I'd remind you all of your civic duties and responsibilities.

Reminding...

Mircea

A little confused regarding how laws work here in the good ole USA?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies