Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 02:55 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Really? Google, Apple, and Microsoft seem to be doing pretty well, as are New York City, Washington DC, Seattle, Portland, Dallas, Austin, etc.
For the educated elite maybe things are going well in these liberal bastions but just under the surface is dire poverty and borderline anarchy in many of the cities. DC for example has the widest or one of the widest schisms of income inequality in the country.

Detroit lacks a large number of the educated elite hence its circumstances being more dire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 03:01 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
That's because those cities aren't filled with people from Detroit which is coincidentally the number one reason why Detroit is the **** hole that it is today.

The Cummins powered Dodge Ram pickup truck is possibly the only thing worth a damn that's come out of Detroit since the 60s and 70s, otherwise it's just a wasteland of knee deep **** that people can't escape from.

I recently had to go to Detroit for work and spend a few days at the GM headquarters building in the Marriott hotel. It's amazing how frank the locals are when you get there, they know they live in a worthless place inhabited by other worthless people and they look at you with disdain in their eyes because they're aware that you'll eventually fly home and they'll still be stuck in Detroit.

I was actually leaving the morning that the mayor announced they were short on the budget and would have to lay off some city workers. I overheard a group of about 8 locals talking about how it was wrong and how the city owed them.
On the real, can you just make ONE POST in which you're being honest about something? Try harder to be believable in the future.

Old 03-19-2012, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
The excuse is that it's a structural problem. Although i'm sure there are structural problems to a degree, the real problem is that Detroit's populace has nothing reasonable to offer America that could even remotely offer a return on investment should there be a bailout. Part of running a city is harnessing the capabilities of its businesses and its people. What does Detroit have to offer these days?
The population of Detroit are human beings. What they have to offer is the same thing that any other group of people have to offer. LOL....i mean, what do YOU have to offer that's so special? You're laying the self flattery on pretty damn thick. I wouldn't be so impressed with myself if i were you.

I never said i was for a bailout BTW....i said that the whole city needs to scrap everyone in any position of power and totally revamp the way the city is run.

Old 03-19-2012, 03:20 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,852,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
On the real, can you just make ONE POST in which you're being honest about something? Try harder to be believable in the future.
What's so hard to believe about a person staying in a Marriott and bumping into some local hotel employees? I'm sure you've been in a Best Western or Howard Johnson once or twice in your life, you've never seen a cleaning lady in the hallway?

Old 03-19-2012, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
The population of Detroit are human beings.
That's somewhat debatable depending on which hood you're stuck in.

Old 03-19-2012, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
That's somewhat debatable depending on which hood you're stuck in.
I know the city like the back of my hand. Which neighborhood lacks human beings? Gimme a specific neighborhood.

Old 03-19-2012, 04:15 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
IMO, its not prudent to bail them out. IMO, unlike NYC, this city has no realistic future. It will continue shrinking, has not bottomed out yet, and while GM will manufacturing there for a long time, I doubt Chrysler will exist in 10 years, and the economy never truly diversified.

Old 03-19-2012, 04:45 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,418,303 times
I was in Detroit in 2009 and had a nice talk with a bartender at the hotel having dinner. He was a local kid who knew he should move but didn't want to leave his family safety net. He shared the same sentiment that Backspace overheard. He was smart enough to recognize there was no future for him there. He blamed the whole system. Nice kid.

Old 03-19-2012, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
I was in Detroit in 2009 and had a nice talk with a bartender at the hotel having dinner. He was a local kid who knew he should move but didn't want to leave his family safety net. He shared the same sentiment that Backspace overheard. He was smart enough to recognize there was no future for him there. He blamed the whole system. Nice kid.
The restaurant servers that I spoke to were older ladies, probably in their 60s at least and one of them had been working there for a looooong time. I can't imagine living your entire life in an area or city that goes from mediocre to complete disaster during your lifetime in front of your eyes.

Old 03-19-2012, 08:34 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,281,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I don't understand why does he thinks the US taxpayers should have to bailout his crumbling city. What's in it for us?
Federal bailout for Detroit? Go ahead and try, Snyder says, but city still needs structural fix | MLive.com
That place is a Democrat wet dream the way it was ran as is California now. Let the DNC bail the people out. Maybe use some of the billions from the government unions that are donated to Democrats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies