Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 09:33 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,698,726 times

Advertisements

Why the double standard for this historically "alternative" and "progressive" newspaper?

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/18/op...eir-goods.html

Pretty damn disgusting if you ask me. I don't think Limbaugh was right in calling Sandra Fluke a **** but a bit of name-calling is nowhere near as bad as this. Yet there's never been a ton of media coverage about Backpage and Village Voice's connection to underage sex trafficking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 09:42 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,953,749 times
Default Shocking!

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/18/op...oods.html?_r=1

Quote:
Backpage accounts for about 70 percent of prostitution advertising among five Web sites that carry such ads in the United States, earning more than $22 million annually from prostitution ads, according to AIM Group, a media research and consulting company. It is now the premier Web site for human trafficking in the United States, according to the National Association of Attorneys General. And it’s not a fly-by-night operation. Backpage is owned by Village Voice Media, which also owns the estimable Village Voice newspaper.

Waiting for the folks attacking the church in the pedophile thread to come and attack Backpage/Village Voice similarly.

.............won't hold my breath.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:54 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,428,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/18/op...oods.html?_r=1

Waiting for the folks attacking the church in the pedophile thread to come and attack Backpage/Village Voice similarly.

.............won't hold my breath.
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Probably shouldn't hold our breaths waiting for you to be able to discern between churches that defend their pedophile employees and a for profit business that sells ad space, eh?

When a Village Voice employee preys on a child while acting as an agent of the VV you'll have a point.

Until then?

Not so much.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:54 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,121,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Why the double standard for this historically "alternative" and "progressive" newspaper?

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/18/op...eir-goods.html

Pretty damn disgusting if you ask me. I don't think Limbaugh was right in calling Sandra Fluke a **** but a bit of name-calling is nowhere near as bad as this. Yet there's never been a ton of media coverage about Backpage and Village Voice's connection to underage sex trafficking.
I think Village Voice and all other papers printing this type of ad should stop immediately. Didn't Craigs List have a similar problem?

Old 04-02-2012, 10:01 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,942,317 times
Didn't this all first come to light over a year ago? Maybe that's the reason why Rush is in the media now since it happened recently as opposed to 27-28 months ago or longer.

The other aspect is that I am pretty sure Rush has a bigger following than the Village Voice BUT what the VV is doing is obviously much much worse.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Well, for one thing the article talks of a web-site owned by the same company that owns the Village Voice Newspaper, so where's your alleged double standard with the newspaper?

Last edited by burdell; 04-02-2012 at 10:18 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 04-02-2012, 10:11 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,795,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
Didn't this all first come to light over a year ago? Maybe that's the reason why Rush is in the media now since it happened recently as opposed to 27-28 months ago or longer.

The other aspect is that I am pretty sure Rush has a bigger following than the Village Voice BUT what the VV is doing is obviously much much worse.
So you're only interested in comparative wrong? Rush misspoke, went off, said pretty much what everyone was already thinking (and he was right, BTW)... and because his audience is so huge (for a reason) it makes his crime (what crime) legit. He said that she was a shill, and she was!!

I'm beginning to think Progressive should be spelled Hypocrit.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
So you're only interested in comparative wrong? Rush misspoke, went off, said pretty much what everyone was already thinking (and he was right, BTW)... and because his audience is so huge (for a reason) it makes his crime (what crime) legit. He said that she was a shill, and she was!!
Misspoke? You're kidding, right?

Everyone was alrerady thinking the girl was a prostitute, as Rush called her?

He was right but was he correct?

Any evidence at all this woman ever engaged in sex for $$$ or just more BS from the bloated blatherer?

Or maybe he and his sheep are just too stupid to understand the meaning of the word?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
I'm beginning to think Progressive should be spelled Hypocrit.
I've thought for a long time the regressive right is hypocritical, thanks for adding more confirmation!

Old 04-02-2012, 10:19 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,953,749 times
Default How does that moral relativism work for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Probably shouldn't hold our breaths waiting for you to be able to discern between churches that defend their pedophile employees and a for profit business that sells ad space, eh?

When a Village Voice employee preys on a child while acting as an agent of the VV you'll have a point.

Until then?

Not so much.
So the promotion of prostitution and human sex trafficking (both criminal acts) is acceptable to you as long as members of the parent company don't actually participate in it? Is this correct?

Please link a post where anyone has defended the cover-up of pedophilia by the Catholic Church while you are at it!

Old 04-02-2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:
So the promotion of prostitution and human sex trafficking (both criminal acts) is acceptable to you as long as members of the parent company don't actually participate in it? Is this correct?
No, I NEVER said that. What I will say is you are hugely hypocritical defending the church which has defended its own peoples' misdeeds while you feign outrage over a for profit business accepting ad $$$.

Quote:
Please link a post where anyone has defended the cover-up of pedophilia by the Catholic Church while you are at it!
Open your eyes, the church's failure to act is itself the crime and defense of that crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies