Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2012, 09:17 PM

1,182 posts, read 1,141,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
You're forgetting that Martin was the black one though, so clearly he was the aggressor.
Fox News agrees!

Old 03-21-2012, 09:18 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,099,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
lol. ok. I will respect that.

First question for you: Which black community are you talking about? We aren't monolithic you know.

Second question: You do know the histories are different right? Different times, lengths of recovery, countries, the type of oppression etc...

Third: Question: You do know that society is different now, right?

I'm glad jewish people have got it together.
You are also comparing established communities to "communities" built from scratch. I can't really speak for other minority communities or hell other black communities outside of my own.
1. I understand Black communities are not homogenous. I know most Black's are law-abiding, tax paying Americans. But the fact of the matter is, Black males commit more crime than any other group. The Black family structure has been decimated. I'm speaking of the culture that subscribes to the "hip hop", thug culture. African immigrants are amongst the highest, if not the highest achievers in terms of educational attainment among immigrant groups. This points to a cultural, not a genetic issue.

2. I do understand the histories are different. Slavery and Jim Crow was despicable. But we are over 45 years removed from the Civil Rights era and it seems as if the Black community has taken a step back (as a whole). I'm talking about crime, business ownership, and fatherless children. I feel like the "Great Society" has a lot to do with this.

3. What do you mean by society is different now? Hell, we are different now than we were when I was a teen in the 90's. The internet, attitudes toward homosexuals, black president, etc.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:20 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,041,926 times
Where the hell is Turk 182 when you need him............

“Zimmerman Flew, Tyler Knew”

Old 03-21-2012, 09:25 PM

1,715 posts, read 4,784,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
Do you have a link to this?
NBC.com with Ron Allen

Old 03-21-2012, 09:30 PM

3,840 posts, read 4,518,992 times
If Zimmerman stayed in his house and not tried to be Dirty Harry (like the police told him to do) this wouldn't have happened. How the hell can you claim this under stand your ground when you went out to confront someone? This is crap. He needs to be arrested for this, plain and damn simple.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:33 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,481,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post

For the most part the Black American community is a monolith there are some class differences and personality differences but that's about it.
Um no. The Black American community is not monolithic. You should know better. This was directed towards timmy boy. I can only expect some much from you admitting to truth.

Quote:
Who cares we're in the 21st century take responsibility for yourself and your community.
Once again, this discussion was directed towards timmy and he question about why Jewish people are on top and other historically oppressed groups are still climbing.

Quote:
So how long do the rest of us have to wait until the black American community gets its act together?
The rest of us? Um Edward, you are a Black American. And therefore a part of this so called "community". I can only speak for my family and friends. I'm doing my part. Are you?

Old 03-21-2012, 09:34 PM

2,664 posts, read 5,642,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim6624 View Post
You make good points.

My background is Northern Irish/Sicilian on my dad's side and Cherokee/Dutch Jew/English on my mother's side. My Irish Great-Grandfather was sold to a Scottish family because they could not afford him. My Jewish grandmother fled Holland, leaving family members who eventually died. My Cherokee family (including my mother) are addicted to drugs and alcohol. Every single person walking this planet has ancestors who were subject to atrocities. Blacks had slavery, Irish had famine/English oppression, Natives faced removal from their lands and a loss of a sense of culture, Jews were murdered in gas chambers, Russians were murdered by the millions under Stalin, Armenians suffered genocide, etc. etc. etc. The more we hold on to our past, the more the contempt and disillusionment will grow. It is 2012, things are vastly different than ever before, yet the black community is worse off now than pre-civil rights era blacks in terms of the family, education, business ownership, etc.
Yea, I hear ya. I'm a Russian Jew so I guess I should blame everybody twice LOL

Old 03-21-2012, 09:47 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,666,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynternight View Post
If Zimmerman stayed in his house and not tried to be Dirty Harry (like the police told him to do) this wouldn't have happened. How the hell can you claim this under stand your ground when you went out to confront someone? This is crap. He needs to be arrested for this, plain and damn simple.
He called the kid an A**Hole on the tape as he followed Trayvon as he (Zimmerman) talked to a police dispatcher. He wanted to harm the kid. Clearly, this cold-blooded murder should receive the severest punishment. The entire Nation is mad as hornets about this corrupt injustice in Sanford Florida.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:58 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,481,508 times
Quote:
1. I understand Black communities are not homogenous. I know most Black's are law-abiding, tax paying Americans.
Thank you. You'd be surprised how difficult it is for people on this site to admit the most black people are law-abiding, tax paying Americans.

Quote:
But the fact of the matter is, Black males commit more crime than any other group. The Black family structure has been decimated. I'm speaking of the culture that subscribes to the "hip hop", thug culture. African immigrants are amongst the highest, if not the highest achievers in terms of educational attainment among immigrant groups. This points to a cultural, not a genetic issue.
This is true, the underclass of the black population is messed up. I think it is said that somewhere along the line this somehow became representative of black people in general. A lot of my friends are African or Caribbean immigrants. This is true they are high achievers and more proof that the whole intelligence bell curve thing is BS. I think the this underclass that somehow represents all black folks would still be there regardless of what type of music there is. Every "group" has an underclass associated with it.

Quote:
2. I do understand the histories are different. Slavery and Jim Crow was despicable. But we are over 45 years removed from the Civil Rights era and it seems as if the Black community has taken a step back (as a whole). I'm talking about crime, business ownership, and fatherless children. I feel like the "Great Society" has a lot to do with this.
Sensationalist news tells you that. In truth, as achievement overall the black "community" has taken big strides forward. The Civil Rights era cleared up major sh*t but that was just the beginning. There was still plenty of ingrained institutionalized racism that needed and needs to be routed out. However, I do think that anyone born after 1981 shouldn't waste their breath on crying racism because they didn't get a job or whatever. I also think its funny when white folks come on here and complain about not getting a job because it went to a black person that they think they are more qualified than. And they keep on pointed to the same tired fireman discrimination cases. I mean the case went to court and they won. So why are you still complaining. A company has 100 employees and two of them are black. Apparently they just got there because of Affirmative Action, right? They actually think that in a business environment that they are going to hire Pookie and TayTay as account managers, while John Q. Public sits unemployed with his superior credentials and 4.0 GPA average. Right.

Anyway, I agree, the fatherless rates suck and have sucked since the 70s. I'm currently combating that problem. Got myself married and had a baby boy. I'm sure that will take the out of wedlock births down like .0001%. I think I might go do some more combating tonight.

Quote:
3. What do you mean by society is different now? Hell, we are different now than we were when I was a teen in the 90's. The internet, attitudes toward homosexuals, black president, etc.
Society, its another factor. You yourself blame the whole "great society" on the destruction of the "black family". What was society like when young Jewish children were getting ripped away from their families and sold to owners hundreds of miles away never to be seen again. Society is a big x factor amongst many things.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:25 PM

2,664 posts, read 5,642,428 times
When drugs hit the black areas back in the day, that's what made it 20 times worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies