Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 09:44 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times

Advertisements

Ok, everybody by now knows about the Killing of Trayvon Martin by George Zimmerman but I am not about to let this topic die as [MOD CUT]
Anyway...
Rep. Dennis Baxley, an Ocala Republican who sponsored the original bill, said the law is still "good public policy" but questioned whether it should apply to Zimmerman.

"I think the fact that he was in pursuit does greatly compromise his argument" of self-defense, Baxley said.
Trayvon Martin: "Stand your ground" law goes too far - Orlando Sentinel

So again I ask, who was more justified in defending themselves, albeit with fist (if that was indeed the case), a 140 lbs teenager being pursued by a 240 lbs man or a self-appointed vigilante?

Last edited by Ibginnie; 03-19-2012 at 09:48 PM.. Reason: could have done without the moderation comments

Old 03-19-2012, 09:47 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
Question:

It is an established fact that a person's voice can be identified through a recording, why haven't police definitely established just who was crying for help BEFORE shot(s) were fired? Witness have stated in a number of reports that they heard the voice of a child screaming for help prior to shots being fired. If that voice was that of Trayvon Martin it would certainly establish just who the aggressor was in this incident.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:49 PM

3,436 posts, read 2,948,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Question:

It is an established fact that a person's voice can be identified through a recording, why haven't police definitely established just who was crying for help BEFORE shot(s) were fired? Witness have stated in a number of reports that they heard the voice of a child screaming for help prior to shots being fired. If that voice was that of Trayvon Martin it would certainly establish just who the aggressor was in this incident.
I have wondered about this as well, but I think they need to arrest Zimmerman and charge him first.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:50 PM

4,919 posts, read 4,833,765 times
Default No Links .. Just A Question (George Zimmerman)

I've been following this Trayvon Martin, George Zimmerman case that happened in Florida.
(You know the case because there is a long thread on here about it)

Everyone is calling it a White on Black crime and either my old eyes are not seeing clearly or this 'White Guy' is NOT White but looks to me to be .. at 'least', part Latino?

If I am not mistaken .. isn't Zimmerman a Jewish name?

George Zimmerman is also the name of the owner of Men's Warehouse, a man's clothier.

Stolen identity?

The guy was busted a few years back for an assault on a cop if I remember correctly?

What's he doing with a gun permit?

Is this guy an illegal with someone's identity and the law is afraid they'll be held accountable?

I just don't see a White Guy here!?

http://newsone.com/files/2012/03/George-Zimmerman2.jpg (broken link)

Old 03-19-2012, 09:51 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,597,926 times
I finally heard the 911 call where you hear the screams and the gun shots. It gave me chills.

Rest in paradise, Trayvon Martin.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:02 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,442,995 times
This guy needs to go to jail for murder.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:05 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,516,181 times
The police dept. in this town is a disgrace. The only good news about this story is the reaction of the towns citizens to this crime, who are speaking out for justice, and even though the FBI is distancing itself from this (for now) if there are not charges filed against the shooter the Federal Govt. with intervene with criminal charges.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:05 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,119,311 times
I've noticed black people have taken a particular interest in this incident. A few of my black friends on Facebook have repeatedly posted "Trayvon" related points. Is there a particular reason this story is attractive to black people?

I prefer that due diligance via the justice system be carried out. What else could we ask for here?

Ovcatto...aren't you a lawyer? Does "beyond a reasonable doubt" ring a bell?

Old 03-19-2012, 10:09 PM

531 posts, read 501,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClose View Post
Is this guy an illegal with someone's identity and the law is afraid they'll be held accountable?
How on earth did you conclude that?

Old 03-19-2012, 10:09 PM

133 posts, read 76,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Ok, everybody by now knows about the Killing of Trayvon Martin by George Zimmerman but I am not about to let this topic die as [MOD CUT]
Anyway...
Rep. Dennis Baxley, an Ocala Republican who sponsored the original bill, said the law is still "good public policy" but questioned whether it should apply to Zimmerman.

"I think the fact that he was in pursuit does greatly compromise his argument" of self-defense, Baxley said.
Trayvon Martin: "Stand your ground" law goes too far - Orlando Sentinel

So again I ask, who was more justified in defending themselves, albeit with fist (if that was indeed the case), a 140 lbs teenager being pursued by a 240 lbs man or a self-appointed vigilante?

The teenager, of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies