Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 11:14 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,712,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
From LucidKitty's link:

Police say Peterson followed the girls, who are both 13, on March 2 after he saw them at a Barrington gas station and asked them how far they had to walk and if they wanted a ride. The pair waved him on and took down his license plate number.

Peterson told CBS 2 last week he was trying to help the two girls because conditions were snowy and they were not dressed for the winter weather.

“This is a good deed gone wrong,” Peterson said. “I just noticed these girls, that they had no umbrella, no coats or hood or something of that nature, and I just felt like I should help.”
Police dispute his account, saying it wasn’t snowing and the girls were “dressed properly” and wearing coats. Police told CBS 2 the girls felt threatened by the encounter.

Police dispute his account, saying it wasn’t snowing and the girls were “dressed properly” and wearing coats. Police told CBS 2 the girls felt threatened by the encounter.

If that had happened to either of my daughters, the guy would be in pieces right now.
Yes and you would probably be in jail unable to support your family facing murder charges all over something that occured where your daughter's came out fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 11:17 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,286,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kkaos2 View Post
All the additional info I saw in the other link was that it wasn't snowing. Who cares? I don't think people need to be fined hundreds of dollars and put on probation because someone was creeped out. Did he touch them in any way? No. Did he attempt to force them into his car? No. He accepted their refusal of a ride and drove on. So where's the crime here?
Because maybe this guy is a bit of a pervert, and charging him will scare him from doing it again ? Just because he didn't force them in the car doesn't mean he did not have ulterior motives. And i would agree with you if all he did was stop the car and say "hey you girls need a lift?". But following them into a neighborhood where they probably live, and asking them how far they have to go, is friggin creepy i'm sorry.

Old 03-20-2012, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personwhoisaperson View Post
Yeah I guess I need to start providing more than one link.
It's okay i have done the same thing myself .

Old 03-20-2012, 11:18 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,457,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Because maybe this guy is a bit of a pervert, and charging him will scare him from doing it again ? Just because he didn't force them in the car doesn't mean he did not have ulterior motives.
You can't charge someone for something on hearsay or just because you want to send a message.

Old 03-20-2012, 11:19 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,116,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Yes and you would probably be in jail unable to support your family facing murder charges all over something that occured where your daughter's came out fine.

I don't support them now... They're grown up and support themselves. That is my dad's knee jerk response.

The guy is a creep, and I suspect this is not the first time he's tried this. The girls reacted properly, good for them.

Old 03-20-2012, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
You can't charge someone for something on hearsay or just because you want to send a message.
No but you can charge them in this states case which might be enough of a message for him either way. And if the guys methods were so altruistic why did he lie to the police?

Old 03-20-2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
I don't support them now... They're grown up and support themselves. That is my dad's knee jerk response.

The guy is a creep, and I suspect this is not the first time he's tried this. The girls reacted properly, good for them.
Most likely he has. Like i said i'm not sure this guy would actually do anything but him being charged, and on record should be enough to deter him for a bit anyway. I also wonder if he's on probation or just being monitored?

Old 03-20-2012, 11:26 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,457,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
No but you can charge them in this states case which might be enough of a message for him either way. And if the guys methods were so altruistic why did he lie to the police?
You have no idea if he lied or not. How do you know the girls didn't lie to the police? So, the police say it wasn't snowing... BFD! The girls told the police that they were wearing coats, how do you know that is NOT a lie? You don't!

Old 03-20-2012, 11:28 AM

7,006 posts, read 6,996,400 times
Quote:
Man charged with disorderly conduct for offering 2 girls a ride home
It should concern us all how the media is far too quick to post headlines like this insinuating that yet another innocent person is wrongly jailed or accused, but if they had bothered to do any kind of background check on just the basic information (such as the fact that it wasn't snowing), they would've learned the truth of the matter fairly quickly.

But no, the media has an agenda to push, and that is FEAR. Instilling unprovoked FEAR into people's hearts, causing unnecessary panic and anxiety, so that the media can get more clicks on their websites and more eyeballs on the TV. The media is no longer about delivering pertinent information to citizens but about trolling the masses for $$$.

We must not allow the media to make us a fearful people, we must stop fearing strangers and our own neighbors. This is why communities are breaking down and will ultimately has a negative effect on society as a whole.

Old 03-20-2012, 11:36 AM

4,520 posts, read 4,210,521 times
This guy is definitely a pervert. Glad he was caught before he could indulge his perverted sexual fantasies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies