Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you consider your general stance to be on "fiscal" issues?
Very liberal 3 8.57%
Liberal 10 28.57%
Conservative / libertarian 12 34.29%
Very conservative / libertarian 10 28.57%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 10:53 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,132,790 times

Advertisements

This is the "counterpart" to my social issues poll.

Fiscal issues concern the government's revenue and spending.

Taxes - whether they should be cut and/or increased, and for whom - and programs - such as whether we should have a national health care program or not, or whether unemployment insurance should be extended or cut - are fiscal issues.

Fiscal liberals generally support maintaining or increasing revenue. They often propose increases in tax rates among or directly affecting the wealthy. They seek to maintain or expand government programs, such as Medicaid, and often point to other countries' health care systems as a source of inspiration for a future universal health care program.

Fiscal conservatives generally support tax cuts for all segments of the population, citing the wealthy as "job creators". They seek to compensate for these cuts by pruning government spending and often cite "entitlement" programs, especially for the poor, as "wasteful" and incitements to laziness.

Crucial among the distinction between fiscal liberals and conservatives is the question of redistribution of wealth. Fiscal liberals often support increasing wealth redistribution, which they claim makes for a more just and equitable society. Fiscal conservatives are generally opposed on principle to the idea, believing that the redistribution of the wealth necessarily relies on the confiscation of resources from taxpayers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2012, 11:15 PM

1,331 posts, read 2,336,158 times
I don't think in a country like America or any country for that matter, there should be homeless or those without medical care, or hungry.

But I also believe there is a limit, and think there is a better way, and that is helping people learn to help themselves, I don't think one should be dependent on charity, and I believe it keeps many down.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:33 AM

41,975 posts, read 75,239,807 times
Depends on the issue.

You really need to expand the choices on these polls ... Not everyone fits into your tidy little mindset.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:39 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,481,994 times
On this I lean further right then the gop. On the other poll I lean further left then dems.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:51 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,996,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
This is the "counterpart" to my social issues poll.

Fiscal issues concern the government's revenue and spending.

Taxes - whether they should be cut and/or increased, and for whom - and programs - such as whether we should have a national health care program or not, or whether unemployment insurance should be extended or cut - are fiscal issues.

Fiscal liberals generally support maintaining or increasing revenue. They often propose increases in tax rates among or directly affecting the wealthy. They seek to maintain or expand government programs, such as Medicaid, and often point to other countries' health care systems as a source of inspiration for a future universal health care program.

Fiscal conservatives generally support tax cuts for all segments of the population, citing the wealthy as "job creators". They seek to compensate for these cuts by pruning government spending and often cite "entitlement" programs, especially for the poor, as "wasteful" and incitements to laziness.

Crucial among the distinction between fiscal liberals and conservatives is the question of redistribution of wealth. Fiscal liberals often support increasing wealth redistribution, which they claim makes for a more just and equitable society. Fiscal conservatives are generally opposed on principle to the idea, believing that the redistribution of the wealth necessarily relies on the confiscation of resources from taxpayers.

I support lowering taxes and even doing away with income taxes and enacting a flat tax.

With healthcare, something really does need to be done to reform it, but I'm not sure that I want the government involved with providing it.

Welfare needs serious reform. For those truly in need, or disabled, I'm all for helping them, and it's up to us as decent human beings to do so. For those who are able bodied, and can work, but choose not to, then in order to receive their benefits they should have to perform some sort of community service in order to receive their benefits. God helps those who help themselves. No bailouts either for fat cat CEOs that made p*** poor business decisions! Were I a small business owner and I screw up, then it's on me.

While I detest greed, not all people who are wealthy are greedy. With that said, I oppose distribution of wealth. Why should I be forced to give up what I've earned through hard work, to distribute it to someone who sat on their a** all day? Forced charity is not the answer.

For social security. I may not see it when I retire. It's being taken out of my paycheck. Well, if I'm supposed to be paying into it for my retirement, and it's not going to be there, then I want my money back! Let me invest it how I want to!

Old 03-26-2012, 07:53 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,996,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyyo View Post
I don't think in a country like America or any country for that matter, there should be homeless or those without medical care, or hungry.

But I also believe there is a limit, and think there is a better way, and that is helping people learn to help themselves, I don't think one should be dependent on charity, and I believe it keeps many down.

Yes!

Old 03-26-2012, 08:45 AM

1,956 posts, read 1,812,997 times
  • Taxation is theft. There should be no income taxes.
  • Spending-based taxes are OK.
  • The federal/state governments shouldn't be doing 80% of the BS that they currently do.
  • Governments should be pruned to 20% of what they are now, and all useless departments and agencies eliminated (National Wild Horse and Burro Program, National Endowment for the Arts, Bureau of East Asian and Pacific Affairs, Japan-United States Friendship Commission, etc. Seriously WTF?).
  • What is Constitutionally authorized in Article 1, Section 8 can be allowed.
  • There should be no Medicaid, Medicare, Social Security, Head Start, WIC etc at the federal level (states can do it if they want).
  • All of the above functions can be handled more effectively by the private sector and free market.
  • There should be no welfare, or no warfare.

Minimum Government. Maximum Freedom. Our Founders fought and died for it.

Am I conservative enough?

I didn't see the option 'Extremely conservative / libertarian', so I chose the next best thing 'Very conservative / libertarian'.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:47 AM

2,472 posts, read 3,199,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving_pains View Post
  • Taxation is theft. There should be no income taxes.
  • Spending-based taxes are OK.
  • The federal/state governments shouldn't be doing 80% of the BS that they currently do.
  • Governments should be pruned to 20% of what they are now, and all useless departments and agencies eliminated (National Wild Horse and Burro Program, National Endowment for the Arts, Bureau of East Asian and Pacific Affairs, Japan-United States Friendship Commission, etc. Seriously WTF?).
  • What is Constitutionally authorized in Article 1, Section 8 can be allowed.
  • There should be no Medicaid, Medicare, Social Security, Head Start, WIC etc at the federal level (states can do it if they want).
  • All of the above functions can be handled more effectively by the private sector and free market.
  • There should be no welfare, or no warfare.
Minimum Government. Maximum Freedom. Our Founders fought and died for it.

Am I conservative enough?

I didn't see the option 'Extremely conservative / libertarian', so I chose the next best thing 'Very conservative / libertarian'.
Cool. Now let's see an answer based on reality.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:59 AM

1,956 posts, read 1,812,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganusn View Post
Cool. Now let's see an answer based on reality.
What I said would be the ideal situation. The reality though is that if there was a 'Department of Life' and if someone proposed cutting it, you will all scream that we are going to die.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:11 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,818,404 times
I went with those fiscal policies that actually work, so I chose liberal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies