Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2012, 11:26 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,076,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriverranch View Post
Again with begging the question.
I am not "begging the question" - I am asking you if you think it is morally OK to kill babies. Why are you avoiding answering the question?

Old 03-27-2012, 11:27 PM

30,438 posts, read 52,088,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
OK - since it is currently legal to kill babies - I will rephrase the question.

Do you think that it is OK to kill babies?(Straight homicide - not the qualified "murder".)
Once a baby is living and breathing outside of the womb, no... until then I don't really consider it a "baby," at least not in terms of what constitutes killing/murder. That doesn't mean I would personally choose abortion (I would never), but I support & trust women to make those choices for themselves.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:28 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,076,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Once a baby is living and breathing outside of the womb, no... until then I don't really consider it a "baby," at least not in terms of what constitutes killing/murder. That doesn't mean I would personally choose abortion (I would never), but I support & trust women to make those choices for themselves.
Thank you for your straightforward and honest answer.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:29 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,777,771 times
No, I do not think it is moral to kill babies (as defined by Gizmo's post)

Old 03-27-2012, 11:31 PM

38,651 posts, read 26,460,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
What?? The fetus would have to be at LEAST 4-5 months developed to survive, in which case most states wouldn't even allow abortion... so that would be more of a stillbirth or "spontaneous abortion" (not by choice) situation, if it's even possible. Do you have a credible link regarding this claim?

A woman can get an abortion for any reason throughout the third trimester if giving birth or continuing the pregnancy could be considered dangerous to her health (see Dr. Tiller).

"Women that have early terminations in weeks six, seven and eight, many times the pregnancy is so small that doctors miss removing the baby," Alvarez said. "The danger is that the failed attempt can damage the baby. That is why these patients who get early terminations need follow-ups."

Another scan a week later confirmed the baby also had [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]kidney [COLOR=blue !important]problems[/color][/color][/color], but doctors told the couple the baby was likely to survive, so they decided he deserved another chance at life.

Read more: Baby Miraculously Survives Abortion, Expected to Live 'Normal' Life | Fox News

Gianna Jessen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Baby Survives Abortion | bennett's blog

Premature baby survives after doctors advised abortion - Telegraph

Old 03-27-2012, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
I am not "begging the question" - I am asking you if you think it is morally OK to kill babies. Why are you avoiding answering the question?
No... you're actually asking us what constitutes murder, when life begins, and a whole host of other difficult philosophical & scientific questions. Nobody thinks killing a BABY is okay, but clearly we all have different ideas of when it qualifies as such. I trust the government considered these questions while making the laws, and therefore support their eventual conclusions - deeming abortion legal up to a certain month (first trimester?).

Old 03-27-2012, 11:33 PM

38,651 posts, read 26,460,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriverranch View Post
Our conservative friends are very fond of everyone paying their own way. How do you suggest the fetus pay for said insurance. Government handouts?

I'm sure they'll be happy to catch up thier premiums when they reach working age.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:34 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,777,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
I'm sure they'll be happy to catch up thier premiums when they reach working age.
so you're mandating coverage without choice. Glad to see you probably support Obamacare.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
A woman can get an abortion for any reason throughout the third trimester if giving birth or continuing the pregnancy could be considered dangerous to her health (see Dr. Tiller).
So as I said, it would be a "not by choice" kind of situation - right?? No doctor or state will allow elective abortions that late, thus your argument really isn't on topic here. If the ONLY choice is to abort or let the mother die, I don't think even the hardcore anti-abortionists would have a major issue with that... and in these cases, I imagine the mother was actually happy the baby survived. Totally not related to a woman choosing early/legal abortion, and hoping the outcome is as advertised.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:36 PM

16,391 posts, read 31,000,529 times
Liberals giving rights.... are you trying to cause a system meltdown?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies