Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 11:58 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
So the only things the Obamacare advocates can do is either:

1.) Cite laws that are obviously irrelevant and inapplicable;
2.) Pile up huge numbers of new additional laws, regulations, and restrictions to force EVEN MORE people into impossible financial situations;
3.) Change the subject.

I expected as much.

Unfortunately, the situation I described is now upon us, barring a last-minute save by the law-abiding side of the Supreme Court. Once a health-care mandate is ruled Constitutional by the Supreme Court, there is NOTHING to stop the Federal government from imposing more and more such mandates on us... except the whim of a relatively few people in Congress and the White House.

The only reason they don't announce a mandate for everyone to buy a car, is because they didn't feel like it just then - NOT because such impositions on American freedom are illegal for government to enact.

But the next time the car companies take a plunge, as they already have once in recent memory... maybe those few people WILL feel like it.

And there won't be anything you can do to avoid being forced to buy a car you may not need... except move to France.

America was nice while it lasted.

Liberals and Democrats have never been known for extraordindary foresight. Now we see that they have a fundamental misuderstanding of the importance of case law in American judicial affairs.

Such a pitiful state of affairs Liberlism has found itself in. I'm genuinely curious how they look at themselves in the mirror each morning knowing that the Ideological House Of Cards they reside is in fundamentally unsound.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 11:59 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
And you'd be laughed out of the court.

You really should try to tame your hatred for Ronald Reagan. It makes you say things like you said in this post, and it's embarrassing.
Speaking of "conservative" foresight, how did Reagan plan to cover the costs?

Old 03-28-2012, 12:08 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,080,363 times
The OP presents a Hobson's Choice, deliberately arranging the deck to prevent any genuine discussion of the difference between healthcare and generators.

It merits no serious direct response.

The core difference are these:

1) 100% of the American public is already a participant in the healthcare market, regardless of whether or not they are insured. A mandate to purchase medical insurance does not compel them to enter a market for products and services which they would never otherwise pursue of their own free will.

Only a small fraction of the American public would ever participate in the generator market of their own free will.

2) The insured are currently subsidizing the uninsured. As such, there is an unfair and uncompetitive distribution of responsibility for funding healthcare under the current system.

This is not true of the generator market.

3) The healthcare industry is more than 17% of the entire economy and therefore merits special attention and regulation.

The generator industry is miniscule.

There are more differences, but at least those should be a start to understanding the false equivalency posed by the OP.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:09 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,847,521 times
Wierd how only in America do some people see a mandate to pay for health care as a green light to make people pay for other items. Does this same thought come into peoples minds when we are mandated to pay property tax or vehicle insurance etc etc................. absolutely not!

Old 03-28-2012, 12:14 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,813,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
Wierd how only in America do some people see a mandate to pay for health care as a green light to make people pay for other items. Does this same thought come into peoples minds when we are mandated to pay property tax or vehicle insurance etc etc................. absolutely not!
Does the federal government tax your property?
Do you buy your car insurance from the federal government?

Old 03-28-2012, 12:14 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,168,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Of the many working models around the globe, why would you choose this?
It's not my choice, but people think that everyone deserves medical care.

People also seem to believe that everything else should be free. If we give everyone, everything, who works and pays taxes to cover all of this?

It seems to me, the only fair thing is everyone works and contributes, and the government no longer takes money out of your pocket and mine to pay for all aspects of someone elses life.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:18 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post

People also seem to believe that everything else should be free. If we give everyone, everything, who works and pays taxes to cover all of this?

It seems to me, the only fair thing is everyone works and contributes, and the government no longer takes money out of your pocket and mine to pay for all aspects of someone elses life.
Yes, EVERYBODY deserves medical care. Or, should I get to decide if you do or don't? Should government?

No, there is no such thing as free lunch. Y'all keep getting caught repeating that rhetoric. And to think you're also the ones whining about mandate.

The government makes money? I wasn't aware of that. Not even Germany, whose model I like (and you're unlikely to be aware of, since that is not something you proposed), with its surplus didn't "make money".

Old 03-28-2012, 12:21 PM

[quote=Kirdik;23608854]Does the federal government tax your property?
Do you buy your car insurance from the federal government?[/quo
State or Fed.......... a mandate is a mandate....... same rules apply........ so does that mean it is OK for your state to mandate that you buy broccoli??????
Absurd thinking that because it's the Federal Govt it is different to a State mandate.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:22 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,178,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Buying a product like a car is not the same as buying health insurance. What is so hard to understand about this?
When one has no proper analogy, they must present a strawman.

I put it to them this way: Why is personal liability insurance mandated for all drivers? Because all drivers contribute to the risk of driving.

Why should everyone be mandated to buy basic health insurance at reasonable rates? Because, like it or not, everyone contributes to the risk of needing healthcare.

I was similarly amused by our Chief Justice's questioning about a mandating people have cell phones for emergencies. Apparently he is unaware that any cell phone in working order is already mandated by law to be able to dial out in case of emergency. No purchase or contract (the actual real expense of ownership) is required. Based on the current ubiquitous nature of perfectly good phones being obsolete on the market within months, the current availability of an operational phone is available to virtually anyone who wants or needs one for next to nothing.

His words: "So can the government require you to buy a cell phone because that would facilitate responding when you need emergency services? You can just dial 911 no matter where you are?"

Our own Chief Justice essentially defeated his own argument through his own ignorance of the fact that phones are basically free and that this service exists free of charge. I wonder if any of his minions pointed that out to him during recess?

Old 03-28-2012, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post

NO health system is free but the UHC models used in other Countries are cheaper and more efficient than the current USA model and cover EVERYONE from before birth to the grave........... not sure why everyone getting health care is something that some look upon as unfair or taing out of their pocket??????? Todays system takes much more out of your pocket with illegal visits to the ER or HUGE premiums for a term policy............ Stop being silly just because the poorer in America will get health care, after all no one is objecting to their money rebuilding Iraq and its health system......... mmmmmmm strange............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies