Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 05:13 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times

Advertisements

By the same token, isn't it possible, perhaps even likely, that the people at heritage favored a free market, and saw the mandate as a compromise? What's hypocritical about compromise? Not much.

Anyway Heritage is just one voice out there. As for Gingrich, there's a reason he has not done well in the primaries, even with the weak field. He is and has always been a big-government guy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 05:20 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Show us.
For your viewing pleasure!

Remember when Obama opposed the individual mandate? | United Liberty | Free Market - Individual Liberty - Limited Government

Old 03-28-2012, 05:27 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times
I believe the keywords are "subsidizing those who cannot afford it." That is the difference that allowed Obama to accept it.

Not the 180 that the GOP made. What made the GOP change their mind?

Old 03-28-2012, 05:33 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
This is what he said during the debates and during the campaign

Old 03-28-2012, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
This is what he said during the debates and during the campaign

I believe the affordable healthcare act provides subsidies to those who cannot afford to buy health insurance. That is the difference.

Old 03-28-2012, 06:25 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,812,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Newt loved it as well

Newt Gingrich Supported an Individual Mandate as Recently as May 2009 - Conor Friedersdorf - Politics - The Atlantic

That's the funny thing, when the GOP proposes it, they love it. When the dems propose the same thing, it's some god awful horrible thing What a bunch of damn hypocrites.
Totally agree on the GOP hypocrisy, but this sword cuts both ways. Just ask yourself if Obamacare was implemented by a Republican administration and answer honestly if you would have supported it. You _wouldn't_ have. Because you only support Democratic policies, while Republicans only support Republican policies, whether the actual policies are right or wrong. This partisanship is the bane of this country. Are you ready for the bitter truth? BOTH parties are hypocrites.

Value principles, not parties.

My position on this has been consistent - get government out of healthcare _totally_ - no Obamacare, no Medicare, no Medicaid. You can't pick one intrusion and oppose the other - it's all equally bad.

Old 03-28-2012, 06:46 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I believe the keywords are "subsidizing those who cannot afford it." That is the difference that allowed Obama to accept it.

Not the 180 that the GOP made. What made the GOP change their mind?
Perhaps the fact that it is unconstitutional.......

Old 03-28-2012, 07:13 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,811,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving_pains View Post
Totally agree on the GOP hypocrisy, but this sword cuts both ways. Just ask yourself if Obamacare was implemented by a Republican administration and answer honestly if you would have supported it. You _wouldn't_ have. Because you only support Democratic policies, while Republicans only support Republican policies, whether the actual policies are right or wrong. This partisanship is the bane of this country. Are you ready for the bitter truth? BOTH parties are hypocrites.
While I don't support the bill entirely as it sits and I'd much rather prefer a single payer system, or at least to have the public option, with factoring in how far right congress has shifted on both sides and the difficulty Obama had passing it in the first place because of this, I would support the bill. It wouldn't matter if it was an R or D that passed it, it's the right thing to do to get the ball moving in the right direction.

Though that's the difference between (R) and (D) supporters, the R's love everything they propose, and hate everything the D's do no matter what, even if it's the exact same thing such as in this case. D's look at things with an open mind and would gladly support any bill the R's proposed that would actually benefit the country and the american people.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:16 PM

Quote:
While I don't support the bill entirely as it sits and I'd much rather prefer a single payer system, or at least to have the public option, with factoring in how far right congress has shifted on both sides and the difficulty Obama had passing it in the first place because of this, I would support the bill. It wouldn't matter if it an R or D that passed it, it's the right thing to do to get the ball moving in the right direction.

That's the difference between (R) and (D) supporters, the R's love everything they propose, and hate everything the D's do no matter what, even if it's the exact same thing such as in this case. D's look at things with an open mind and would gladly support any bill the R's proposed that would actually benefit the country and the american people.
I agree.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:21 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,010,709 times
Quote:
That's the difference between (R) and (D) supporters, the R's love everything they propose, and hate everything the D's do no matter what, even if it's the exact same thing such as in this case. D's look at things with an open mind and would gladly support any bill the R's proposed that would actually benefit the country and the american people.
Were you able to type this with a straight face? If so, best of luck removing your partisan blinders.

D's are by no means any more open minded than their R counterparts. Aside from the rhetoric they spew to gain and remain in office neither side gives so much as a Tinker's damn about what's best for the American people.

Believe whatever load of partisan crap best keeps you warm at night. Don't expect to be able to peddle said load of crap without being called on it. Zealots on both sides of the aisle (based on your posting history there is no doubt whatsoever you rank among those zealots) are far more concerned with their side winning rather than doing what is best for the nation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies