Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2012, 07:23 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
What would you do if your son were killed? He was unarmed, not participating in a crime, coming back from a convenience store?

What would you do if the police knew who shot him, and no arrests were made?

I would do EXACTLY what Trayvon Martin's parents are doing...keep his name in the papers until something is done.

Don't judge these people till you've walked a mile in their shoes, and pray to God you never have to make that walk.
Great, great post.

Old 04-02-2012, 07:24 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,783,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post
It's a little late to turn that ship around.

Zimmerman was tried in a court of public opinion. Period. At first it seemed (at least to me) like such a no-brainer. According to the gossip, Zimmerman followed Martin into a park and basically executed him.

Then more actual news began coming out. Some (supposed) witnesses saw something different. They say they saw Martin assault Zimmerman.

But none of that matters now. This was turned in a racial circus from Day 1.
It became a racial circus when TM was profiled for wearing a hoodie.

Don't blame the public for GZ being tried in public. Blame the Sanford police. If they had accommodated the Martin's to begin with and did a proper investigation maybe it wouldn't have reached the public level. If they were so sure that it was justified, they could have presented that justification to the Martins. Had the Sanford police had the facts and presented them to the Martins, it might not have gone public. The Martins got absolutely nothing from the police.

If you had a family member that was killed under the SYG law and you got the same treatment as the Martins, would have just walked away knowing that there was something very wrong with the way things were handled and the person who murdered that family member was given a pass?

As you said: up to now it's been gossip and no one has ALL the facts. He may be guilty in the eye of the public, but GZ is still entitled to a trial and the Martin family is still entitled to know, to the extent possible, what happened. In court is were the facts will come out and that is where is innocence or guilt will be determined.

Old 04-02-2012, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
I pray that I never do have to walk in their shoes, but my question is still valid. After starting the controversy they did, in the manner they did, isn't it a little late?

I also understand, that nobody but Mr Zimmerman and the eyewitness are the only two talking/breathing people who can tell us what really happened.

Here's a question, what if Trayvon actually DID go after Zimmerman and try to get his gun?
What if? He saw some guy - not a police officer - who was following him and behaving in an antagonistic manner toward him, and he had a gun. Probably at that point, he thought the man was trying to hurt or kill him, and so he attacked first. Sounds like prudent human behavior to me.

Quote:
Whatever happened, asking for a peaceful resolution, AFTER starting a war, is a little much.
George Zimmerman started - and ended - the war.

Old 04-02-2012, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
I'm not a RW or a LW...

Also, I never commented on Obamas input.....so that doesn't apply to me.

BUTTTTT, since we are here. The "If I had a son, he would look like Trayvon Martin" comment was one of the stupidest things I have ever heard.
What was stupid about it?

Old 04-02-2012, 07:32 AM

17,426 posts, read 14,650,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
You do realize that he was a judge? lawyers and judges often cross path in a variety of ways. Can you explain this:

George Zimmerman, Son of a Retired Judge, Has 3 Closed Arrests ...

Does the average person have the ability to have arrest records disappear far enough so that he can purchase and carry a firearm after previous signs of violence?
You do realize that a judge and a magistrate are two different things?

You also realize that every person in the legal field in this country isn't connected to everyone else - so to say that they knew each other (as you did in your previous post) is hogwash? Let me say it again so we're clear: you posted a complete and total fabrication.

I can go through the online court docket in my county and find COUNTLESS cases of your average joe who had their charges reduced and/or thrown out. It's not unusal nor is it some kind of conspiracy.

And btw - from your own article:

Quote:
Note: It has been brought to our attention that George Zimmerman has been arrested one time, not three, and that the charges against him were dropped after he completed a pre-trial diversion program. The additional two charges stem from the same incident on the same date.

So your title is very is very misleading.

Old 04-02-2012, 07:33 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Just like people conveniently glaze over the fact that Obama was specifically asked about his thoughts on this case at the end of a press conference; he didn't 'butt in' as you RW's so love to distort.
So Obama can't reply "no comment" or "I'll wait until the investigation is complete"?

Old 04-02-2012, 07:33 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,322,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmire_63 View Post
It does not work that way. If you go for 1st degree and fail to prove it then Zimmerman goes free. You don't get to go for a lessor charge. It is better to go for the lessor offense because the burden of proof is lower.

I don't think he should be charged with anything. This was self-defense.
He still have been at least detained until a real investigation is done, just like anyone else that could have possibly killed someone. Why should he be treated any differently because his father was a judge?

Old 04-02-2012, 07:34 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,089,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
What if? He saw some guy - not a police officer - who was following him and behaving in an antagonistic manner toward him, and he had a gun. Probably at that point, he thought the man was trying to hurt or kill him, and so he attacked first. Sounds like prudent human behavior to me.

George Zimmerman started - and ended - the war.

The gun was concealed as per reports. And in regards to an antagonistic manner, is there any proof of that? All we know is that Zimmerman was walking towards Martin's.

Old 04-02-2012, 07:35 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,753,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i understand the AA community moral uprising about the death of a young man by means of a firearm.
what i do not understand is their utter apathy to black on black violence.
black on black 9mm pants down killings occur daily on the hood and not a peep is uttered.
in fact black on black violence sells lots of movie tickets.
its not what is done, its who does it??????
They turn a blind eye it and some actually defend it.

Old 04-02-2012, 07:37 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,912,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
What was stupid about it?
It was stupid. It was meaningless and had nothing to do with the situation. Nobody should care about Obamas mythical son.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies