Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 02:18 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,330,060 times

Advertisements

OTTAWA - There may still be pennies from heaven, but they won't be coming from the mint much longer.

The humble one-cent piece is set to disappear from Canadian pockets, a victim of inflation.

Thursday's federal budget said the Royal Canadian Mint will strike the last of the little coins this fall.

The budget says the cost of minting a penny has risen to 1.6 cents or $11 million a year. Its purchasing power has fallen to a 20th of its original value.

"Some Canadians consider the penny more of a nuisance than a useful coin," the budget documents said.

And so the coin will go the way of the old 25-cent shinplaster.
"The penny is a currency without any currrency in Canada," Finance Minister Jim Flaherty said at a news conference.

It's nothing but a nuisance for business, he added.
Pennies will still be legal tender, but as they slowly vanish from circulation, prices will have to be rounded up or down.

If the customer has the pennies, they can use them. Payments with debit or credit cards or cheques can also be to the penny. But if the customer is paying cash and doesn't have the pennies, the total will go up or down to the nearest nickel. For example, $1.02 will become $1 and $1.03 will be $1.05.

The budget said experience in other countries that have dropped low-denomination coins suggests that rounding will be fair and there will be no impact on inflation.

As for those jars, boxes and bags of pennies sitting in countless drawers across the country, the government suggests people donate them to charities.
The penny has been under fire for years. New Democrat MP Pat Martin has introduced private member's bills over the years to kill it.

The disappearing penny will likely have little economic impact, but it may require some cultural adjustments.

Source: Mint will stop making pennies this fall - *Federal Budget - Money - MSN CA

Well that is some good news I guess I think I will give my penny jar to a Local Charity or something to alteast do something good with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 02:32 PM

2,160 posts, read 1,956,160 times
The United States should stop making cents, nickels and quarters. Just get rid of one decimal point. Businesses can still charge beyond one decimal point (as is done with gasoline now) but people will quit bothering with coinage that uses more than on decimal point as the availability of such coinage dwindles.

It's not like we haven't been here before -- 100 years ago a cent would buy more than a dime will now. A 1912 cent was the equivalent of more than a 2012 dime and we all got along just fine.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:31 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,916,818 times
I agree, the US Mint should stop making cents and nickels, except for collectors. I would keep the quarter. Once upon a time the Mint produced half cents.Half Cents
At the time they were worth 1/20 an hours pay, or 36 cents at minimum wage today.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:04 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,583,826 times
I'm betting I will get ripped off for 5 cents on every transaction. Rounding down LOL. Who ever heard of business rounding down???? Still I think it's a good idea. I use very little cash anyway because it seems everyone has a debit machine these days.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:24 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
I'm betting I will get ripped off for 5 cents on every transaction. Rounding down LOL.
I would imagine most would adjust their prices so they can round up. Be interesting to see what happens with the $X.99 prices since they could be losing money on transactions like that.

Old 03-30-2012, 06:23 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,916,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I would imagine most would adjust their prices so they can round up. Be interesting to see what happens with the $X.99 prices since they could be losing money on transactions like that.
The marketing advantage of $9.95 vs $10.00 is worth a lot more than a nickel.

Old 03-30-2012, 06:27 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
I would eliminate the cent and the nickel. $9.90 has a marketing advantage as well and my pocket would carry less metal. Pennies are about worthless.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:03 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,600,110 times
Agree with penny. Disagree with nickel.

Simple reason: Ill pick up a nickel.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:18 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,212,851 times
Canadian pennies will become highly collectible and will disappear from circulation very quickly.

Old 05-13-2012, 11:08 AM

62 posts, read 66,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
I'm betting I will get ripped off for 5 cents on every transaction. Rounding down LOL. Who ever heard of business rounding down???? Still I think it's a good idea. I use very little cash anyway because it seems everyone has a debit machine these days.
Walmart has price rollbacks all the time...pretty much all retailers put items on sale regularly. What is a few cents compared to your total grocery bill?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies