Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 12:22 PM

2,702 posts, read 6,030,437 times

Advertisements

What is going on over there exactly? I saw that they are protesting on the news. My boyfriend is a Spaniard and he is very upset about what is going on.

I'm aware that Greece is bankrupt and suicide rates are rising due to the lack of jobs. Why is it that these Southern European countries are having problems? Pardon me if I sound naive, but will it get better and what can they do about the rising unemployment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 12:26 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanteuse d' Opéra View Post
What is going on over there exactly? I saw that they are protesting on the news. My boyfriend is a Spaniard and he is very upset about what is going on.

I'm aware that Greece is bankrupt and suicide rates are rising due to the lack of jobs. Why is it that these Southern European countries are having problems? Pardon me if I sound naive, but will it get better and what can they do about the rising unemployment?
Ask your boyfriend how long there siesta is that may give you a clue.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:32 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Germany... I was reading about how Germany is running short on skilled labor (the article I read yesterday was about incentives to Portugese youngsters to move to Germany, and even be able to utilize virtually free education and contribute to the economy). May be Spaniards too could consider that.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:40 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
EdwardA, anyone that really knows is that it's NOT the siesta, but the super rigid employment regulations the country has. It's very hard to fire a troublemaker or an unproductive employee in Spain, so most employers are reluctant to take on new hires. Spain is also a very unionized country, more so than the US. The problem with Spain is that their governments are extremely corrupt, and relied too much on construction for growth
Quote:

I don't think so. When Spain realizes that you can't rely on the construction industry and "green collar" jobs to grow your economy, is the day Spain starts to be an economically successful nation. Endemic corruption on the local and regional level, rigid and expensive employer rules, high tax rates, etc. Spain also needs to have the peseta again, that's why Poland is growing and Spain is shrinking

Old 03-30-2012, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Ask your boyfriend how long there siesta is that may give you a clue.
I don't think it has anything to do with siesta. He is a very hard worker though, however, he is caught in a rock and a hard place. He is without work, wants to be with me (I live in the States and he has been here), but then he also loves his country despite all its ailments. It's a tough situation and I just wonder where Spaniards (since they are not really a huge immigrant group) would migrate to?

Old 03-30-2012, 12:41 PM

Quote:
I know how long it is. He is a very hard worker though, however, he is caught in a rock and a hard place. He is without work, wants his country to be with me, but then he also loves his country despite all its ailments. It's a tough situation and I just wonder where Spaniards (since they are not really a huge immigrant group) would migrate to?
Plenty move to England. Austria has under 4% unemployment, Netherlands and Denmark around that much as well

Old 03-30-2012, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
EdwardA, anyone that really knows is that it's NOT the siesta, but the super rigid employment regulations the country has. It's very hard to fire a troublemaker or an unproductive employee in Spain, so most employers are reluctant to take on new hires. Spain is also a very unionized country, more so than the US

I don't think so. When Spain realizes that you can't rely on the construction industry and "green collar" jobs to grow your economy, is the day Spain starts to be an economically successful nation. Endemic corruption on the local and regional level, rigid and expensive employer rules, high tax rates, etc. Spain also needs to have the peseta again, that's why Poland is growing and Spain is shrinking
I agree with you.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:49 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Quote:

22 percent employment thanks to skipping down the yellow brick road of green energy. For every 4 jobs created 9 were lost.

Watch this video:

Spain's Green Disaster - A preview for America? - Political News Video

Old 03-30-2012, 12:49 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Straw man argument.

The Spanish debacle mimics the USA in pretty much every area and over-reliance on construction (as we did), only worse. The only savior was rather rigid regulations on banking that helped a little. Leave it to "conservatives" to blame development of green energy sector as a primary cause.

Old 03-30-2012, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Straw man argument.

The Spanish debacle mimics the USA in pretty much every area and over-reliance on construction (as we did), only worse. The only savior was rather rigid regulations on banking that helped a little. Leave it to "conservatives" to blame development of green energy sector as a primary cause.
I agree. Banking regulations were as good as ours until Clinton gave his stamp of approval to erase Glass-Steagal from the books. However, these "green" jobs did have some negative impact on the economy, but nowhere near as much as the over-reliance on housing, but it didn't help the situation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies