Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2012, 05:29 AM

3,064 posts, read 2,638,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynternight View Post
Obama Warns 'unelected' Supreme Court Against Striking Down Health Law | Fox News

Really, Mr. President, you don't understand how an "unelected" group of people can strike down a bill? Ever heard of Separation of Powers or checks and balances? You can't govern by fiat, Mr. Obama.

His words, spoken in the presence of foreign leaders no less, were so disrespectful to the Supreme Court Justices and the entire American Governmental system. How arrogant of him, to warn the Justices. How disrespectful of him to refer to them as a group of "unelected people." And how about the real group of "unelected" people who wrote the darn thing? Additionally, what he said, was just wrong. This was not overwhelmingly approved by congress. It barely passed. And, in case our POTUS forgot, its not up to him to decide what is "Constitutional." That IS the job of the Supreme Court Justices, whom he seems to want to demean.

"The president spoke at length about the case at a joint press conference with the leaders of Mexico and Canada. The president, adopting what he described as the language of conservatives who fret about judicial activism, questioned how an "unelected group of people" could overturn a law approved by Congress."
"I'm confident that the Supreme Court will not take what would be an unprecedented, extraordinary step of overturning a law that was passed by a strong majority of a democratically elected Congress," Obama said..."I'm confident that this will be upheld because it should be upheld," Obama said, describing the law as "constitutional."

Read more: Obama Warns 'unelected' Supreme Court Against Striking Down Health Law | Fox News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 05:31 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,936,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
And I thought the RW hated activist judges..unless it's their activist judges.
To uphold the Constitution is not being an activist.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:40 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,855,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
No thanks. I prefer to stick with the truth.
Then this may help...

BUSH v. GORE

Old 04-03-2012, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Pretty simple.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:48 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,207,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
That's what I thought, too.

I always considered "judicial activism" as creating law that did not previously exist as in the Roe v Wade decision. Overturning an existing law by declaring it unconstitutional is the exact opposite.

We live in a topsy turvy world today. Great masses of people have been successfully "reeducated" and I'm way behind the times.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:51 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,077,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
Wow Obama adopting the language of conservatives about judicial activism. I never thought that day would come.
He didn't use that language. Orrin hatch did.

And that was just funny.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:54 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,077,572 times
I'm curious... how can this be considered a "warning" to anybody? The court has already voted and made their decision.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
I'm curious... how can this be considered a "warning" to anybody? The court has already voted and made their decision.
I don't think they have made their final decision, have they?

Old 04-03-2012, 05:55 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,167,680 times
Let me get this straight in my head.

The same president who's federal courts are telling states they cannot enforce legally passed legislation concerning illegal aliens, and voting laws, is telling the highest court in the nation, they cannot overturn the illegal obamacare?

It's so sad it's funny.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:58 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,660,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post

We don't need "affordable health insurance". We need affordable health CARE. We don't need $300/mo insurance with $50 Dr. office co-pays. We need plain $50 Dr. visits.

Insurance shouldn't be for day to day medical care. It should be for EMERGENCIES only. People forget that, that's where the problems really lie.
Except that, as they say, that horse is out of the barn.

Try reforming health care back to the way it was. The insurance lobbyists are too strong. We will never have $50 doctor visits again, either. My last visit, for a sore throat with no lab tests was $176.00.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies